Status: This Is Only Part 1!

Curse of an Era

Chapter 2- The Records of Maat

Ziye Mraz, a non-human specimen known as a sphinx, is wandering around the human world. A sphinx, was the non-human species created by the goddess Bastet, for her love for cats. They are described to look human, but during full moon and monsoon seasons, they transform into their actual features. Cat ears, cat tail, long nails like claws, cat eyes, and fangs, are their actual features with a human body.

Ziye Mraz is breaking a universal law by walking around among humans. Even if he is in disguise, reapers can still identify him.

---

"Lacey and Adams, Please check in by King Nazwadjat, see if he can recall anything about the case about the death of his mother.." Ardeth said back at the lobby at Army of Darkness headquarters.

---

"Hey Zara?" Yukel is still new to the squad and was hoping to get better details about this mission. Walking along the capital's bridge, North Star bridge, that divides the palace from it's city. The scenic view is lovely, in fact the feelings inside Zara makes her blush over the rookie.

"Yes, Yukel?" she blushes.
"The orders from Ardeth earlier, about the case of the death of the king's mother? Is that the so called, 'Familiar' case?" Yukel asked.

"Yes, yes it was," she paused after answering, to bring up another issue on her mind and heart, "Yukel, about the other night, I..." She stopped when Yukel and her both spotted a sphinx passing them on the bridge.

---

Back at Kelter's inherited bar, first day of business was going well. Kelter's bar also served lunch and dinner specials. Even though there was a few customers, it was still plenty to do for one person. Towards the end of the day, right before closing, that blonde woman from last night came back. This time accompanying her, was a man.

"Miss, you are back again, and I see you brought a date." He says brushing crumbs off the bar.
"Ha! Don't be silly! He's just my servant." She laughed.
"I see. A martini, miss?" He said noticing she can laugh obnoxiously loud.
"Miss McRosa, and yes! You remembered! What will you have, Taylor? Don't be shy! I am paying after all!" She nudged her servant.
"I don't drink alcohol..." he muttered.
"Not even to relax?" she asked surprised.
"Nope.."
"Aren't you a real bummer. Just the martini then." she nodded to Kelter.
"What about a non-alcoholic drink?" Kelter asked the man nicely.
"Water."
"One water, coming right up!" Kelter said opening a mini freezer and shoveling ice into a glass. After a couple of minutes, McRosa received her martini, and Taylor received a big glass of water.
"Kelter, was it?" McRosa asked.
"Yes?"
"I have a favor to ask you. You see Taylor here, needs a place to stay. He recently lost his home and family," As McRosa said 'family', Taylor glared at her, "You do have a two bedroom apartment above the bar, correct?"

Kelter's heart strings was pulled. Taylor looks younger than him, he seems like a good guy, he isn't a alcoholic. It can work, he can help make it work.

"Yes. He's welcomed to stay, on one condition. He helps out by working here. Wait tables, clean up, bartending, etc. I am the only person here at the moment. In exchange of his hard work, he has a bed to sleep in, and food to eat. Deal?" Kelter really needs someone else to help out, and moneys a bit tight to hire someone. This is his best option.

"He accepts! Deal!" McRosa answers for Taylor.

---

Back at Resting Valley, Zianni reads the files that are written up on each victim. Memare and Gurmaine are amazed, the bullets used on the victims has paralyzed and preserve the bodies to look like porcelain dolls.

"What are the details?" Memare asked.
"Lets see each of these young ladies were potential brides to marry the prince of PI-Setra. All died by false bullets.."
"False bullets?" Gurmaine interrupted Zianni.
"Let me continue, at least! False bullets that held liquid like substance inside them. The same bullets were also found on the body of the late queen, Queen Kavita Zachariah. Kiye Michaels remembers a doctor who invented such a substance, over 29 years ago. He said he called it, a drug that could preserve a non-human body by simply killing its soul, but to preserve it like a porcelain doll. The drug was labelled as 'X413'. The drug was only tested on sphinxes, but what happened nineteen years ago, made the drug look like art, which is my opinion of course." Zianni giggled at the sentence.

"Of course..." sighed both siblings.

"I do know a lot about reapers, and other non-human specimen. I do know this drug needs to be stopped. Kiye Michaels, has been the king's loyal doctor and trusted guardian of Resting Valley longer than myself. If anyone would know more, it would be him."

"What about the doctor who created this drug?" Memare asks.
"I think his name was Vincent Van Gogh, or something?" Zianni says unsure.
'Great. The famous painter is our suspect.' thought Gurmaine.
"Anyway, he killed himself with his own creation.." Zianni said turning away.
"Suicide..that makes that suspect useless." Gurmaine whined.
"No, not exactly. If we back traced this doctor, from the present to twenty-nine years ago, we might be able to find out who took the drug for themselves." Memare says trying to stay positive.
"Are you joking, Sis? Twenty-nine years ago, and we don't even have his exact name!"
"Gurmaine, this is all the information we have available. Until we speak to Kiye Michaels, for the doctor's name, this is all we have to work with. Trust me."
"Alright, Sis. I trust you."

---

Back at the capital, Zara tries to confront the sphinx. The sphinx's feline features aren't present, so he is in disguise. All non-human species have a sixth sense, in order to protect themselves or others.

"Hey!" Zara yelled. The sphinx stopped but didn't turn around, confused if that person is speaking to him or not.
"Hey! Hey, You!" She yelled again, and he now turned around completely.
"Me?" he asked terrified.
"What is a sphinx doing up here in the surface?" Zara said approaching him, with Yukel right behind her.
"Wait, there's been a mistake, I'm just looking for a sphinx sanctuary. I am a lost orphan, looking for other sphinxes. My whole life was to find my family. If you could point me to Bubatris, I'll quickly leave." Ziye cried.
"Bubatris? The kingdom of Bastet? Why are you looking in the human world, you have to be searching in the underworld." Zara asked.
"There are four known sphinx sanctuaries on earth, I just need some rest. Ive been traveling for months on foot."
"Zara, sphinxes cannot be roaming around up here. Even if he is telling the truth, he can get violent if a human approaches him." Yukel whispered to her.
"You're right. You are under arrest by the Army of Darkness." Zara said, tying rope around Ziye's wrists with the ankh symbolic pendent wrapped around the rope.
"What? Why?" Ziye cried.
"Until we hear back from our Lieutenant, you're in custody of invalidation of the Universal laws for the safety of humans." Zara said patting his back to calm him.
"I'm sorry, but as soon we get our job done, the sooner we can bring you to Bubatris." Yukel said.
"Wait, you are going to help me get to Bubatris?" Ziye said sniffling a bit.
"Yes, but we are also on a mission, so you must stay with us for extra protection. What is your name?" Zara asks.
"Ziye. Ziye Mraz."

---

While the Carlo siblings, and team Zara slash rookie, was finishing their routes, Ardeth and Zeke visited the one person with the most information. In the Universal kingdom, retired kings and queens enjoy resting and relaxing among the stars. However, one past king hasn't had a break yet.

"You sure you didn't mind that we came to view the Maat records?" Ardeth asked the man who was writing with paint on a large white wall.
"I already had predicted that you and officer Powers were coming. A year ago.." Iset says with a tired voice.
"That's right you can predict the future a year before! That's so cool, Master Iset!" Zeke squealed.
"Is it really? Every power has a weakness. I may be in charge of keeping track of the Universe's records and history, but I hardly ever have time to spend with my own family." Iset snapped.
"Master Osirah seems to think its the oppo..." Ardeth had to cover Zeke's mouth.

"He knows nothing! That Jackass doesn't know how lonely it is in this room! I have a great-grandson, and he hasn't met me yet! I cannot leave, I must write down what happens on earth on these walls. Once it occurs, the wall erases and starts over again. I miss my family, but I have a job for the universe, so balance can exist." Iset took a big breath and continue his job.

"I do apologize, Master Iset, but we really need to view the records of Maat." Ardeth requested again.
"How far back?"
"At least nineteen years."
"Granted. By the way, Zeke Powers," Iset started.
"Yes, Sir?"
"Remember, every power has it's weakness."
"Master?" Zeke asked confused.
"That's all I can say, says Maat. I'm sorry." Iset lowered his head.

---

Later that night, back in a small noble village, a young lady is getting ready for bed.

"Nepsa! Nepsa!" Nepsa opens her bedroom door to hear her mother calling.
"Yes, mother?"
"Close your window, it's going to be chilly tonight. Good night, Dear."
"Good night, mother." Nepsa closes her door and walks over to close and lock her window. She crawls into bed, and shuts her lamp off.

Within twenty minutes she is asleep. Her closet door creaks open with a man wearing a hooded cloak and half face mask, looks at her and sighs. He opens the window, without disturbing her, and leaves.

---

At a mansion further way from Nepsa's village, lies McRosa on a love seat drinking red wine. Her house phone inches away from her rings, she gulps down the remaining of wine in her glass, then answers it.

"Hello? DARLING!!! How are you? What?..Vincent, Vincent, darling, remember our lady isn't a patient goddess. If you don't finish your schoolwork, you wont be able to play with your friends. Do you understand? I cant guarantee they are protected, unless you do your job! Now, tomorrow is a new night, to finish your job. Don't disappoint me, good night, darling!" McRosa hangs up her end of the phone call. Wondering what went wrong.
'Taylor is being useless. Maybe I should call backup?'

---

At the bar earlier that night, Taylor swept the floor with a broom while listening to Kelter on the phone. Watching Kelter flirt to this girl back and forth reminded him of his first love.

He pulls out a photograph from his pocket, thinking out loud to himself, 'One day, this nightmare be over, I promised.'

"Going to bed, Nepsa? Okay goodnight." When Kelter hung up the phone, the big smile across Taylor's face made him blush.

"Taylor, we are locking up now. We have to be up at 7 am, tomorrow. Tourist season." Kelter shook his head, imagining mobs of people, drunk mobs of people.

"Right, you can always count on me. Sir, you could just call me, Vincent."
"Sorry, you are right, Vincent." They both laughed. Kelter walked to the back fridge while Vincent continued sweeping.

Thinking to himself, 'Nepsa Aloiv, is my next victim tonight. I cant kill her, Kelter seems to really love her. Kelter was nothing but kind to me, he gave me a place to sleep. I am being forced to commit these murders, I have to keep up the pace, so they can live. Aria, I miss you and our six lovely daughters, I cant let emotions get in the way, in order to keep all of you alive. I hope you all are safe. Please be safe. Please..be..safe...'

---

To Be Continued......
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 2 from Book 1.