What Once Was Lost (3 of 3)

Dragon Sickness

The company are scattered around the main hall working on one thing or another. Thorin wanted two of us guarding the gate at all times, Bilbo and I took over from Fili and Kili. The entire companies mood is grim in light of recent events. We should be celebrating, yet we're barricading survivors out of Erebor rather than offering them help. Thorin has gone mad with greed, he's a completely different person. I would pack up and leave if it didn't mean saying goodbye to everyone and breaking my promise to Bilbo. I can't abandon them, I've still got a bit of hope that Thorin will see sense, however it's a small hope. I keep thinking that all hope is lost on him but then I get that voice in the back of my head saying not to give up on him. I look out at Dale lost in thought, neither Bilbo or I uttering a word when suddenly something reflects the sun catching my attention. I stand up curiously, as does Bilbo, and we look over to the city. Elves are lining up on the walls in every free space facing Erebor. I then see movement on the bridge as a horse and a large elf exit the ruined city. I look closer and see King Thranduil and next to him is no elf rider, it's Bard. I'm relieved that he's alive, I only hope his son is also safe, and not forgetting his daughters also. The elf king stops on the bridge as Bard kicks his horse into a gallop towards Erebor. I look at Bilbo who looks as worried as I feel as I turn and walk down the steps on the barricade and head to the treasury room. The dwarves look at me confused as I walk past them.

I enter the room and head towards the vault which is where I see Thorin, standing by a glowing pile of white gems.
"Thorin" I say walking towards him. He doesn't reply. He just slowly picks up a silver necklace inlaid with white gems out of the pile of the loose bead-like jewels. Thorin holds the necklace up as he looks at it.
“The white gems of Lasgalen.” Thorin says smiling brightly looking at me through the jewellery. “I know an Elf-Lord who would pay a pretty price for these.” He says as he tosses the necklace back into the pile of jewels. I look at the gems as they scatter as the necklace lands back in the pile, many of the tiny gems roll around on the floor. So those are the gems. I may know about them but I have never seen them before. I look away from the pile of gems and back to Thorin.
"...Thorin...” I say trying to figure out how to explain there is an army of elves on the doorstep. “That Elf Lord you speak of... ...He's in Dale. With a whole host of armoured elves. And there's a rider heading our way. It's Bard" I say hoping that this won't get any worse. Thorin doesn't reply, just strides out of the vault heading for the gate.
"Come on!” he says to the others who drop what they are doing, pick up their weapons and follow Thorin to the top of the wall.

Once everyone is at the top they can see the walls of Dale are lined with armoured Mirkwood Elves. Bard rides up the path to the gate and stops before reaching the bridge.
“Hail Thorin, son of Thrain! We are glad to find you alive beyond hope.” Bard says respectfully.
“Why do come to the gates of the King Under The Mountain armed for war?” Thorin asks dispensing with pleasantries.
“Why does the King Under The Mountain fence himself in? Like a robber in his hole.” Bard questions
“Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed.” The stubborn old dwarf replies
“My lord - We have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?” Bard asks still being respectful. I look at Thorin who seems to be inspecting the army and considering his options.

Thorin nods to Bard, and walks down the stairs as Bard dismounts his horse and starts to cross the bridge. I look over at the Elfking and his army. I do not want to fight my kinsmen's people and I would rather not die for something so menial as treasure. No blood should be shed for gold. I suddenly head squawking and wings flapping overhead. I look to see a large raven flying away from the mountain. I look back and see the others heading down the steps and I follow. We look at Thorin as he continues to speak with Bard through a gap in the wall as we line up behind him waiting for something to be agreed upon, whatever it may be...

“I will not treat with any man while an armed host lies before my door.” Thorin says
“That armed host will attack this mountain, if we do not come to terms.” Bard states
“Your threats do not sway me.” The dwarf prince says stubbornly.
“What of your conscience? Does it not tell you our cause is just?! My people offered you help. And in return you brought upon them only ruin and death!” As Bard says this I feel the weight of guilt rise in my chest. It is our fault after all.
“When did the men of Laketown come to our aid, but for the promise of rich reward?!” Although Thorin has a point he is missing the point that Bard is trying to make... I shake my head and I can't help the look of painful disbelief that is obvious on my features.
“A bargain was struck!” Bard states frustrated.
“A bargain? What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food? To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom? You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the Dragon-slayer…Why should I honour such terms?” Thorin asks.
“Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing?” Bard asks simply.

Thorin turns away from the gap in the wall. He leans back against the blockade and for a moment realising we are all watching, he looks up.
“Be gone, ere their arrows fly!” Thorin shouts back to Bard.
Bilbo and I share a look of disbelief as Thorin heads back onto the platform and the others follow. I start heading back to the steps, quickly making my way up them “Thorin-” I start once I get to the top as Bard starts riding away.
“What are you doing?! You cannot go to war.” Bilbo says before I can say anything else. I look back to the Hobbit a little surprised, I didn't expect him to say anything.
“This does not concern you.” Thorin says as he watches Bard leave
“Excuse me?! But just in case you haven’t noticed, there is an army of elves out there.” The Hobbit states as the others turn to face him. “And not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. We-We are in fact outnumbered.” Thorin turns to look at Bilbo, smiling.
“Not for much longer.” Thorin says
I look at Thorin confused, as do a couple of the others, he keeps smiling amused.
“What does that mean?” Bilbo asks
“It means Master Baggins, you should never underestimate dwarves.”Thorin says as he walks to the steps. He stops and turns to look at everyone. “We have reclaimed Erebor - Now we defend it!”
Thorin continues down the steps, I look at Balin and Bilbo, both look distressed and disbelieving that Thorin would go to war and give up his honour just for gold. We can't let him do this to himself. I suddenly decide to speak to him and I head past Bilbo and down the steps.

“Thorin!” I call as I jog to catch up to him “Thorin stop.” I say as I get to him. He stops in the corridor and faces me “You can not seriously be considering this? War. You would go to war over gold? The Thorin I know, the Thorin we all know, would not give up his honour for gold. Thorin, you gave a promise. And Bilbo. He gave his word that you would keep yours. Thorin please, see reason, you know what it is like, your home taken from you by a dragon, your kinsmen killed, no where to go and no one helping you. Yet you would do the same to them. Those people died because of us! Because we failed to kill Smaug! ...Their blood is on our hands... We've won back the mountain, is that not enough? You say you're not your grandfather yet that is what you have become, your grandfathers greed brought the dragon, yours will bring more death, we can not fight an army on our own. You would have us all die for this obsession...” I say as I look him dead in the eyes feeling all the frustration, pain and regret threatening to spill out. I look at him for a moment but he doesn't reply. “Thorin, I-”I say calmly. I look away unsure about what to say and I sigh as I look back at him “I love you... I always have. Now may be the only time to say it. But... I don't know who you are anymore... You've changed” I sigh as I look away from him. He moves closer and with his thumb and forefinger tilts my head back up to face him. He's just smiling as we look at each other but then moves forward to close the gap between us but as he does I step backwards, unsure. His smile widens amused and he wraps an arm around my lower back and pulls me closer until he places his lips on mine, kissing gently. I hold my breath surprised and feel my heart beating like a war drum in my chest but after a short moment I kiss him back.
♠ ♠ ♠
FINALLY SOME THORIN/CHASE that's more than just a passing glance kinda' thing. haha
I know it's a fairly short chapter and a sudden cut off at the end there, but I have got reasons for that. Not that I am going to explain them just yet. I'm going to let you all wonder a little bit. :P
Now seeing as we are onto The Battle of the Five Armies can you please go and choose some options from my poll on my FF.net page for what story to do when I have finished this one? Please. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3698863/
And if you are enjoying this story maybe like my Facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/AshleysFanFictions
Or check out my Deviant Art page? I post pictures for this story and my others on there: http://ashtheoutcast.deviantart.com/