Status: In progress

The Last Good Thing About This Part of Town

Beat It

It was finally Saturday and it was a huge day for Andy and me. I woke early so that I could get ready for Erika to pick me up. As I was getting ready, my music stopped on my speakers because I was getting a call. It was Andy and I got really excited.

“Hi babe” I answered

“Good morning beautiful” I heard him on the other line. Even after all these months, he still made my heart flutter with all the little things he says like calling me beautiful.

“I just called cause I wanted to say good luck. I know you're gonna do amazing. I’ll be there in spirit my darling.”

“You’re so cute. Thanks babe. I hope your meeting goes well.” I told him

“I hope so too. I’m so nervous, they could have hated us and just wanted to reject us in person.”

“They’re not gonna reject you guys, you're too good of a band. I would still listen to you if I didn’t know you personally.” I tried assuring him.

“You’re my girlfriend, you're supposed to say that.” He chuckled

“Honestly, I would. It’ll be great babe, believe me.”

“Fine. Anyway, I just wanted to wish you good luck. You’ll be great. I love you and I really wish I could be there.” He said

“I love you too Andy. I’ll see you later and we can celebrate okay?”

“Of course. Bye baby.”

“Bye” Then I heard the line click off. I get sad whenever we have to hang up. I just wish I could talk to Andy all day. And I’m not usually one of those girls to get super attached to their boyfriends but I just wanted to spend all of my time with him.

For some reason, I wasn’t nervous, but it just felt like any other meet day. I was gonna run my race and do the best that I could. Hopefully I’ll do good.

I finished getting ready, putting on the same clothes I’ve been using my entire high school cross country career (I was very superstitious) and looked in the mirror to try to give myself a motivational speech.

“Okay Nicolette. This is it, your last race. I know you never thought it would actually come, but it did, and it’s here. Now you can go out there and race like you have been the last three years, or you can use all that hard work you've put into this year to kick some serious ass. Don’t worry about making coaches, or mom, or your teammates proud, just make yourself proud first. You’ve been working so hard for this, you deserve the success.”

I was just about done when Erika called to tell me she was outside. I woke my mom up before I left so she could be there on time and got into Erika’s car.

“Are you ready?!” She exclaimed!

“Well, you are apparently!” I said, “But yeah, I totally am. I’m actually really excited.”

“Good, cause we are going to kill it!” She said as she started pulling out of the driveway and I plugged in my phone to listen to our usual meet day playlist. Yes we were very superstitious, everything was the same for every meet.

“So you’re okay with Andy not being there?” She asked as she turned down the music.

“I mean it sucks, but we talked about it and its fine. He needs to do this. But what about you, didn’t you want Joe there too?” I teased her.

“Shut up” She blushed. “We’re hanging out later tonight”

“Ooohhh! Celebratory date? Big night”

“No, its just gonna be the party that Pete and Patrick are throwing, you’ll be there too!”

“Yeah I know” I laughed, “Look at us! We’re dating rockstars.”

“You’re dating a rockstar, I don’t really know what Joe and I are.”

“Please, he’s totally in love with you, he's been patiently waiting for you and apparently he doesn't do that for anyone. Thats what Patrick told me anyway.” I assured her.

“Really?” A small smile formed on her face and she tried to hide it from me but failed, I decided to let her have this moment though.

We rode the rest of the way just jamming out to our playlist to get pumped up, and when we got there the boys were getting ready to get on the line. We decided to wish them luck.

We walked up and Aaron came up to me right away, he looked really nervous.

“Are you okay?” I asked

“Yeah… No… I don’t know. Coach is expecting me to win and so is everyone else and I don’t know, it’s just getting to me.”

“Aaron, you’re the best runner in the state. You've already proven this all year, you’re unbeatable. Why the sudden lack of confidence?”

“I don’t know. Maybe just because its our senior year and I don’t want to fuck up. But you know what, you're right! How is this different from any other meet?” He started to relax.

“Exactly! And after you win, Andy’s band mates are throwing a party tonight and you are coming. We’re celebrating. Bring the guys.”

“Sounds good. Now I gotta go and actually run this race.” He laughed

I hugged him and wished him luck again and did the same to all the other guys, even though I knew he didn’t need it. I was honestly so glad that we were friends again.

The guys finally took off and as usual, Aaron was leading our of the starting line. He would do fine, I know he would. My mom finally got there and I'm pretty sure she started crying. It was “her baby’s last meet” as she called it. I absolutely did not expect this.

We all started warming up and tried to watch the guys as best as we could. Aaron ended up winning and the team got placed first. It was our turn soon and the nerves were starting to set in.

I tried to give myself a pep talk mentally but I guess my coach could tell I was starting to psyche myself out and came to talk to me.

“Are you okay Nic?” He asked.

“Uhh I think so. I just didn’t think I would be in a position like this. You know I’ve been getting top 3 most of the season and that puts a lot of pressure on me you know?”

“Well you have been doing outstanding this year, but even if you don’t get top three or even top 10, I am so proud of you anyway. You really stepped it up this year and helped the team tremendously. I can’t thank you enough Nicolette. And if you run like you have been all year, I have no doubt you’ll do amazing.”

“Thanks coach” I smiled. He really did calm my nerves and made me feel like I could actually do this. I just wish Andy were here now.

We were about to go on the line when I noticed Damien start walking towards me, I tried to act like I didn't notice him and walked away, but then out of the corner of my eye, I saw Aaron walk up to him, stopping him from approaching me. I knew his purpose was to keep him from talking to me because they were gesturing to me, then they started arguing. Oh shit. I didn't have time for this, so I turned away to focus on the race and what I had to do. I’ll deal with that later.

We did our usual strides and group pep talk on the line and we were ready. My nerves were at an all time high but I knew once the gun went off, I would be able to relax and just run.

“Runners to your marks, SET” Then all I heard was the loud boom of the gun and absolutely nothing else. I gave everything I had and Erika and I were together in the front of the pack by the end of the first mile. I usually tend to drop back here but, I felt way to good to do that, so I just stuck by her side. As we were approaching the end of the second mile, I felt a bit tired and fatigued, and started to drop back a little, but Erika wouldn't have it.

“You’ve stayed with me for two miles, you can stay with me for one more.” She choked out in between breaths. We were both pushing it hard, and I knew that if I fell back, it would be the end for me, So I took a deep breath, shook out my arms and went with her. The last mile of the course was mostly uphill and even when I’m tired, hills were cake to me. I tucked my head down, picked up my knees and took off in front of Erika. I pushed her to stay with me and she did, but hills were not her strong suit, it was her kick.

For a second, I thought about the chance I had of actually winning. I could do it. I really had the chance, but I didn’t want to take that from Erika, she's my best friend. But this was my senior year, and she had one more chance. I decided to go for it, and I swear Erika read my mind, because she gave me a small pat on the back, and asked

“Wanna make this a race?”

I smiled and nodded, because I was way to tired to get out a word.

“Lets go then” She smiled. She picked it up but I was faster. I toned it down a little for hills because I needed something for the end but decided that I’ll just give the rest of the race everything I had.

I was just a couple of steps ahead of her when we turned the last corner into the final stretch. She was well known for her kick and I was definitely not, but I had to do this no matter what.

I shook out my arms, took a deep breath and just sprinted as fast as I could the last 400 meters. It was in sight, the banner of the finish line was right there and I was the first one to see it. I could feel Erika on my heels but I refused to let her pass, but about 100 meters from the finish, I found her right next to me, our strides matching and both of us giving everything we have left.

We crossed the finish line at the same time and the judges couldn't tell who crossed first. They were gonna have to check the chips that we had to put onto our shoes before the race, it was that close.

We walked through the chute hand in hand as we tried to catch our breath and once we did, we were just both in shock.

“Did that really just happen” I asked.

“It really did” She replied, shock on her face.

“We don’t even know who won”

“We’ll find out here in a few minutes” We sat on the grass field at the end of the chute waiting for the rest of our team to finish and it looks like we won, with four of us coming in top 10 and all 7 in top 20, and we were all celebrating when we heard the loudspeaker come on.

“We had quite a race for 1st place but with a close call it looks like our 2015 individual state champion is Erika Reidner!”

I was a bit disappointed, but I was still runner up and my team won the group title, and theres no way I couldn't be happy with that.

“I’m sorry. I know you tried really hard, but you really gave me quite a run.” She said, hugging me.

“Don’t be sorry! You deserve it, I’m so happy for you! I’m just amazed with myself and how I ran.”

My whole team walked out of the gate together and we were welcomed with cheers and hollering from our friends, family and coaches, and my favorite coach approached me and wrapped me up in a huge bear hug.

“Where did that come from?” He exclaimed

“I’m not too sure, I just gave it everything I had” I laughed

“Well I’m sorry you didn't win but man that was amazing!”

“Thanks coach.”

We celebrated and waited for the awards ceremony at the end of all the races. The officials lined up the top 10, then the teams behind us. Only three of our girls were in our team holding because there were 4 of us in top 10.

They called us up one by one and it felt amazing going up there and getting my medal. I never really thought this would happen to me, only dreamed it, but it did and it was everything I could ever hope for.

Then, the top 3 teams were called up, and the four of us had to run over to get back with our team before we were called. Our rival school got second place and they weren't too happy about it, since they've beaten us every year for the past 3 years. But it was our turn.

When they called out our name, we walked up to the podium hand in hand like we walk to the starting line every time. They handed us our trophy and gave us all first place medals. We got a huge banner that said 2015 Illinois State Champions: Girls Cross Country and we waved it proudly.

We finally went off to podium to go celebrate and take more pictures, and as I was standing with Erika, admiring our big trophy, I guess Damien snook past Aaron, who was basking in his glory.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around, thinking it was my mom or coach or something, but my huge smile faltered into a look of disgust when I saw Damien’s face.

“Okay what do you want?” I finally gave in and asked. Hoping that when he finally got to say what he's been wanting, he’ll leave me alone.

He got all charming and seductive like he always used to, and of course I would fall victim to it, but it didn't work anymore. He inched towards me and whispered in my ear “I’m not giving you up Nicolette. I know you still love me, you always will. This thing with Andy, thats just a phase, and you know once he leaves and travels all over the country with that stupid little band of his, he won’t want you. But I’ll always want you. Just keep that in mind.”

Something like that should get to me, but it didn’t. Andy and I have talked about it already and I was very secure in my relationship at the moment. And I don’t know if it was the high from winning or if I was really genuinely feeling like this but I just started laughing in his face.

“The roles are finally reversed Damien. You may finally want me, but I sure as hell don't want you.” And with that I turned and walked over towards my team with Erika following, laughing at Damien as she walked past him.

“That was amazing” Erika exclaimed, still laughing.

“I know! It felt so good too!”

“Lets go take some cute best friend pictures with our new shiny trophy now!” She suggested.

“I’m always down for cute best friend pictures” I smiled to her.

Once we were finally done with our photo shoot, we were packing up and hanging out with the team and coaches and stuff when I finally got a call from Andy.

“Andy! Babe! I have amazing news!” I exclaimed into the phone.

“Really? Well how about you turn around and tell me?” I heard him say.

I put down my phone and turned around to see him there smiling and holding a bouquet of flowers. I smiled and walked up to him.

“I’m sorry I couldn't be here. But I caught the awards ceremony.”

“So I don’t need to tell you how I did?”

“You can if you want, I’ll just pretend I don’t already know.” He laughed

“Nah you already know, Its cool” I kissed him and took the flowers. “You’re co cute” I said, referring to the flowers.

“So we’re celebrating tonight!” I heard Joe exclaim.

“You brought Joe?” I laughed, walking up to him to hug him.

“He wanted to see Erika. Who am I to stand in the way of young love?” Andy joked.

“Ha! Funny” Joe remarked sarcastically.

I called over to Erika, who was talking to a reporter and she came and joined us after she was done.

Joe approached her right away, of course, and wrapped her in a big hug. Its been a few weeks since her and Luis broke up and she was finally starting to get over it and really like Joe. They’ll be dating soon.

“I invited Aaron and the other guys to the party, I hope thats cool.” I hesitantly told Andy.

“What? You invited Aaron?”

“Yeah. Don’t worry nothing will happen! We’re friends now and he’s a pretty cool guy and I hope you guys can move past what happened and get along maybe?”

He looked unsure, but then gave in. “Fine, only because I love you. If he starts something I can’t promise you that Pete or Joe won’t beat the shit out of him.” He warned me.

“He won’t I swear!” I smiled and kissed him.

“Oh my god! How was the meeting?” I completely forgot to ask until we were walking to his car.

“Well, I can officially tell you that you're dating a drummer in a band signed to a real record label.” He had the biggest smile on his face.

“Oh my god babe I’m so happy for you! You’ll get your reward later tonight.” I winked at him, and he totally blushed. It was adorable.

We were leaning up against his car when out of the corner of my eye I saw Joe and Erika at her car. They were standing really close to each other and it looks like they were having a moment.

“Oh my god, Andy look” I motioned over to where our two best friends were standing.

“Thats my boy” He cheered, only loud enough for us to hear. We kept spying on them and after a few minutes, Joe finally went in for the kiss and Erika definitely didn't stop him.

They were kissing for a few seconds before I started hollering at them.

“Ow ow!” I called, and Andy followed whistling and fist pumping. Erika pulled away, very embarrassed. She was as red as a tomato and Joe just laughed and pulled her in for a hug. We laughed and got into Andy’s car so he could drop me off at home. Man, Erika was not gonna be hearing the end of this.
♠ ♠ ♠
AHH! ITS HERE FINALLY! I know it's been a while, but I'm finally back in school so that, work, homework and my extracurriculars are really taking up my time and I finally had the time to sit down and write this. But I hope you guys like it and I can't promise that I'll update consistently but I will try my best so just bear with me until Thanksgiving break!

On an unrelated note Patrick is back on twitter! How excited are you guys for that! I've been tweeting him like 105849305 times a day DESPERATELY trying to get a response from him! It hasn't happened yet, hopefully soon. Also I've been really, like, Trohmosexual as of late and was thinking of starting a Joe and Erika Fic. Let me know what you guys would think of that!

Anyway as always thanks for reading! Make sure to comment and subscribe! I love you all and I look forward to hearing from you shortly! XOXO