Status: In progress

The Last Good Thing About This Part of Town

Bang The Doldrums

I hated the fact that I had to start my senior year at an entirely new school. I didn't know anyone and not many people exactly welcomed me with open arms. Mostly I hated that I had to leave Wisconsin and my band. I was so sure that this year would be the year that we would make it big. Although it sucked that I didn't know anyone, I couldn't seem to forget that girl in 1st period AP calc.

‘Why didn't I get her name?’ I scolded myself. She was actually really pretty. And she seemed to look different than all the other girls at that school. It was weird though. Why am I still thinking about her? I never think about a girl for more than like half an hour, but for some reason I thought about her all day.

Suddenly, I felt my iPhone vibrate. It was a text message from my dad.

HOW WAS THE FIRST DAY?

IT WAS ALRIGHT. AS GOOD AS IT CAN B

OK GOOD. IM BRINGING HOME PIZZA. B HOME SOON

OK

Since it was the first day, I didn't have any homework. I just sat in my room listening to Metallica on Vinyl, still thinking about that girl.

After my dad got home around 3, I ate and talked to my dad for a little while.

"How was your first day?" He asked, the usual question you get from your parents on your first day of school.

"It was okay. You know, It was school" I said, taking a bite of the vegan pizza he brought home.

After talking to him for a little while, he finally said he had some work to do.

"You should go out and do something. Go find a music store or something." He said before walking into his office.

I decided to take his advice and go out and look for a music store, looking to expand my vinyl collection. I looked on my phone for the nearest one and found that “Culture Music” was the nearest one. I jumped into my car and took off towards the shop.

When I got there, I felt completely at ease. There were album covers all over the walls. ACDC was playing and the guy working came up to me and greeted me with a warm welcome.

“Hey man whats up? You look like you are in heaven right now.” The guy said.

“I am.” I replied genuinely, relieved to be in a place that seemed so much like the record store I always went to back home. “I just moved and needed a new place to search for metal vinyl albums”

“Well you came to the right place my man. My names Pete. Lets hook you up bro”

He waved a hand to me and led me to the hardcore metal section. We talked about a lot of different albums and shared our music interests, which were very similar. We hit it off right away. I could actually see myself being friends with Pete.

After picking out a few albums, we moved over to the check out counter and Pete started ringing me up. I looked down on the counter to read all the different flyers taped to it. I found one that intrigued me right away.

WANTED: DRUMMER
COME JAM WITH THE MOST BADASS BAND IN CHICAGO

It had the contact info on the bottom. I played drums in my old band back home and I thought I was pretty good.

I pulled my phone out and decided to take a picture of the flyer, but before I snapped the picture, Pete noticed and asked "You a drummer?" with a smile on his face.

“Yeah I was the drummer in a band back home but I had to quit since we moved.”

“Well you're in luck. Thats my band.” Pete said with a grin. “Why don't I give you my number and we can set up an audition with the rest of the guys”

“That would be so dope man. Thank you”

“No problem, you seem to have a pretty great taste in music. Also you seem like a dude that would get along with Patrick And Joe” Andy assumed that Patrick and Joe are the other members in Petes band. Just then, a group of younger teenage boys walked in and Pete looked to Andy and said “Ahh not these kids again. Okay well I gotta go make sure these boys don't fuck anything up. Shoot me a text or call me up okay? I’d like to see what you got”

“Okay I will” I said as Pete started walking over to the group of boys, yelling at them to not touch anything.

I texted Pete once I got hime

IM FREE ON FRIDAY AFTER SCHOOL

Pete responded a minute later

SICK. ILL LET THE GUYS KNOW. C U FRIDAY

'Sweet' I thought to myself. Although I feel bad for auditioning for a band so soon after I quit my old one, I just felt the need to just be in a band. Maybe moving to Chicago wasn't such a bad thing after all. Now all I was focused on was getting that girls name tomorrow morning.

I listened to the new albums I bought for a few hours, played my drums until I realized that it was about 9. I decided to get ready for bed and lay down to go to sleep, but I ended up being very distracted because I couldn't stop thinking about that girl. She was really pretty and she seemed really cool. What was I gonna say to her tomorrow? Do I just ask her name? Will she even want to talk to me? I don't know. I stayed up thinking about this stuff for a while and finally fell asleep around midnight.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so excited about this story. I'm excited for you guys to keep reading! I have really awesome ideas for the story. So stay tuned! Make sure to comment and subscribe!