It's the End of the World

Chapter Seven.

Daryl was sat across from me on the other couch, the partially drunk bottle of Jack clutched tightly in his hand. An awkward silence settled around us, making the room even more uncomfortable than it already was. I sighed, taking a large swig of the alcohol in hand. I'd sobered up majorly after my shower, but I didn't want to stay that way. I wanted to get as drunk as possible whilst I didn't have to worry about anything. I turned myself around and placed my head on the armrest and laid my body out. My top rode up slightly, but to be honest I really didn't care.

"I hope we can stay here. I like this place." I stated and Daryl grunted in reply as he took another large swig from the bottle. "Well aren't you mister chatty." I said with a small smirk and he rolled his eyes.

"I don't like talking." He said and I groaned in annoyance. He quickly stood up and place the bottle on the floor. "'M goin' for a shower." He said, he stood there awkwardly for a few moments before grabbing his bag and walking from the room. I groaned as I was left with my wondering thoughts. I'd always struggled with depression, but life hadn't been that bad since finding the group of people I now lived with. But that didn't stop the voice in my head from talking to me every once in a while.

These people don't need you, their tolerating you at best! You should get out now while you can, before you start carin' for any of them. Their just going to hurt you, stab you in the back like everyone else. Like him. Look at what he did to you, he hurt you, made you bleed and tremble in fear at the very sight of him. You want to be made weak again?

I gripped onto my head tightly and willed the piece of shit to go away, this self loathing, it wasn't me anymore. I wasn't weak, I'd never be that way again. I'd taken care of myself for this long already, that was something I needed to be proud of. And I would look after these people, I would help them in any way that I could. I started singing softly to myself to try and get rid of the horrible thoughts and emotions plaguing my mind.

"I got my ticket for the long way 'round,
Two bottles of whiskey for the way.
And I sure would like some sweet company
and I'm leavin' tomorrow, what you say?

When I'm gone, when I'm gone.
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.
You're gonna miss me by my hair,
You're gonna miss me everywhere, oh,
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone." I sang quietly, I heard shuffling and I jumped slightly. Daryl was stood by the door, his belongings hanging limply in his hand. I felt my cheeks warm up in a blush and I tried to hide my head in the pillows on the couch. I stayed like that until I could no longer feel the heat in my cheeks. I pulled the pillow away from my face to see Daryl was now sat back in his original position. He looked better after his shower, his hair wasn't as greasy and he looked like a completely new person when he wasn't caked in dirt and blood.

"Ya got a nice voice." Daryl said and I chuckled lightly, taking a big gulp of the liquid confidence in my hand.

"Thanks." I said, and the room went quiet.

Half an hour later I had finished the bottle of wine and was now starting on the second one, Daryl had been out after finishing his bottle, swiping another full bottle of whiskey to bring back to the room. I was slightly tipsy by this point, so my embarrassment from earlier had now vanished and I was as confident as ever.

"So there was this one time right, me and my friends went out and I got so drunk! I couldn't even stand! My friend had to hold me up, 'cause if not I'd hit the floor." I said, using my hands to emphasise every word, something I did frequently when I drank. "And this guy came up to me, and was hittin' on me! I couldn't even see straight and this guy wanted me to go home with him! I was jus' like get the fuck outta my face. I think he did it a lot with girls. Got 'em drunk and tried takin' them home. Bar called Jakes, I loved that place." I rambled and Daryl snorted lightly. I raised an eyebrow at him as he smirked lightly. I was so shocked by the never seen before expression on his face that I had to look twice.

"Me an' Merle went there all the time." He stated, a small smile on his face as he recalled the memory. "He went to pick up women, was obsessed with makin' me bring home girls too, but I never did. I was there for the booze." He added and I smiled softly, happy he was finally opening up.

"Might have been your brother that tried to get in my pants then." I smirked and he shook his head as he laughed softly. "I only remember a few things, he was called D.. Dison, Dion or something. I think it was only his last name though. Had grey hair, looked plenty older than me." I stated trying to recall the mans name. "Dixon!" I exclaimed and Daryl chuckled.

"That's ma brother. Merle Dixon." He chuckled and I laughed along. When I stopped laughing I took another drink from the bottle in my hand.

"Well, I think I'd have preferred you over him." I chuckled before realising what I'd just said. I put my hands up to cover my face. "I mean.. I didn't mean it like that! I mean to talk to obviously." I rambled before looking over at Daryl to see him holding in laughter.

"Don't lie, princess. You jus' want me." He smirked and I rolled my eyes, I knew my cheeks at this point had turned bright red but I was hoping it was too dark to notice.

"In your dreams, Dixon." I stated with a sigh as I brought the bottle to my lips. "You must have lived close by, with Jakes bein' your local." I attempted to change the subject. He shrugged his shoulders.

"I doubt it." he said and I waited patiently for him to elaborate. "I lived in a bad parta town. Wouldn't see the likes of you round there." He said and I narrowed my eyes slightly, glaring at him.

"The likes of me? The hell you talkin' bout hick? We need to teach you some manners when speakin' to girls." I stated, my voice taking on a hard edge at his words. He rolled his eyes. "Now, you gonna answer me, or not?" I asked and he sighed softly as he played with the label on his bottle.

"Up in the mountains, North Georgia. Yer typical redneck house in yer typical redneck area. Our house was on the end, lead directly into the woods. That's where I spent most of my time." He said, his eyes cast down to the ground. "Merle was in Juvie, my old man din't even take notice I was gone. Once, Not long after my Mom died, I got lost in the woods for nine days. I lived off wild berries, used poison oak to wipe my ass. I finally found my way home, but the old man din't even notice. I just walked in, made myself a sandwich and went back out again. Ass itched something fierce but I was alright." I laughed lightly at his last comment before scowling at his story, how a father couldn't even notice his son was missing was beyond me. I turned myself fully towards him. I placed my elbow on the arm of the couch and rested my head in my hand to prop myself up.

"Sorry 'bout your Momma." I said quietly. He shrugged, his head hung low as he stared at the whiskey bottle.

"Died in a fire. She liked her wine, liked smokin' in bed. Virginia Slims." He explained as though it was nothing. "One night, I'd been out with the boys on the street, I could do that with Merle gone. They all had bikes an I didn't, so I watched them and sometimes they'd let me have a go. Out of nowhere, We heard sirens getting louder, everyone got on their bikes and started ridin' away after it, y'know, hopin' to see somethin' worth seein'. I followed them as quick as I could, but when I got there the whole place was on fire an everyone was lookin' at me." He explained "Fire trucks everywhere. People from the neighbourhood. It was my house that they were there for. My mom in bed burnt down to nothin'. That was the hardest part. She was just gone, erased. Nothin' left of her. People said it was better that way. I don't know, just made it seem like it wasn't real, y'know?" He said and my heart instantly went out to him. I remember that story. My Daddy had read it to my Momma from the newspaper, it was only a few streets away from where we lived. I remember him telling her because she smoked in bed, she never did it since. I climbed up from my position and walked over to the couch Daryl was on. I looked at him for a moment before awkwardly sitting down and placing my arms around him and resting my head on his chest.

"I remember, Daryl. I'm so sorry." I stated. His body was rigid under my touch and he only grunted in reply. I was so close, I felt the deep rumble vibrating his chest. I pulled away from him, and his body instantly relaxed. I sat awkwardly beside him as he continued gazing at the half empty bottle in his hands. I fiddled with my fingers as I thought of what to say to him now. He laid his head back on the couch. I looked towards him and took a good look at him, his hair was fairly short, but it was getting longer rapidly. He had heavy bags under his eyes from obvious sleep deprivation, his lips were set in a straight line as he looked at the ceiling.

"The hell you lookin' at?" He asked, his eyes never moved from their position. I laughed slightly.

"Just inspectin', I've never properly looked at you. Somethin' wrong with that?" I asked, smirking lightly.

"Well cut it out, I don't like it." He stated and I rolled my eyes. I took a big swig from the bottle until all the liquid was gone. I placed the bottle down on the floor and moved my body so my legs were on Daryl's lap and my head was on the arm of the couch. I was too drunk by this point to think about my actions.

"Why did this have to happen? Life wasn't great at all but it was better than this." I said, my eyes started to get heavy and my voice thick with sleep. The last thing I heard was Daryl's usual grunt before I fell asleep sprawled across him.