It's My Game...My Way

Chapter #2

The preseason ended and now it was time for the real thing to begin. Megan was sitting at her locker next to Valtteri.

"This is your first NHL game. You ready for it," he asked. Megan shrugged.

"I'm a little nervous," she replied. Valtteri smiled and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Just think of it as a practice. You're just playing against more players," he said. Megan smiled.

"Thanks Val," she replied. Valtteri ruffled her hair.

"No problem. Pav and Hank will win the game for us as always." Megan giggled.

"Yeah. Everyone will be so surprised by what they do, they'll just quit the league. Then, the NHL will be called the 'Euro Twins' show," she replied. Hank sent a glare her way and Pavel lightly smacked her head.

"Be nice, smart mouth. You don't wanna mess with us," he scolded. Valtteri and Megan burst out laughing.

"I messed with you guys everyday anyway. This isn't any different," Megan retorted.

Valtteri stopped skating long enough to look at his teammate. She still looked nervous, but not as nervous as before. He noticed Perry giving her some looks as he warmed up on the Ducks side. He went to find Dallas Drake, who was one of the toughest guys on the Wings team.

"Do you see what I see? Perry's giving Meg some weird looks. We might want to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't...you know," Valtteri whispered. Dallas nodded.

"I know. Thanks for telling me," he said.

Megan chewed her lip nervously as she watched the Ducks warm up. Some of their players were giving her looks, and fear started gnawing at her stomach. -What if these guys try and go after me? I'm smaller than them. I shouldn't be here- she thought. She felt a hand on her arm and she turned and saw Dallas behind her.

"You look nervous. You alright," he asked. Megan shook her head.

"Dally, what am I doing here? I can't play against these guys! They'll try and get me out of the game before it even starts," she replied. Dallas wrapped her in a hug.

"Don't worry. I don't think they will do that to you. Hank and PAv will give them enough to worry about." Megan smiled.

"Thanks Dally," she said. Dallas patted her helmet.

"Nothing to it. I'm going to kick their butts if they try and hurt you."

Megan got ready for the face off after the Ducks scored to make it one-nothing. She wasn't nervous; all she was now was ready to win. Suddenly, she felt a stick placed on her back and someone shoving her to the ice. Laughter came from behind her and she was only vaguely aware of Valtteri kneeling next to her. "Meg? Are you okay," he asked. Megan came out of her trance and looked up at Valtteri.

"I'm fine. Just a little humiliated that's all," she replied. She was helped up by her teammate and took several deep breaths before getting into the face-off circle.

Megan tapped her stick on the ice. "Val," she yelled. Her linemate passed it to her and she took the shot. THE PUCK WAS IN THE BACK OF THE NET! "Yes! Yes! Yes," the young forward shouted as Valtteri tackled her to the ice. Their other linemates swarmed around them. Megan felt relief run through her body and she smiled at Valtteri when he tapped her on the butt with his stick.

"Nice shot, Meg. The goalie didn't even see it," he told her. Megan laughed.

"Great pass, Val. Thanks for the set up," she replied, tapping her friend's helmet.

Megan smiled at the smack she got on the butt as she made her way to her locker. It was Hank's stick. "Great game, M & M. Two goals in your first game? You're a star player," he said, teasing her on that last part. Megan stuck her tongue out at him.

"Hank, I am a star. You just don't know it yet," she teased back. Hank was ready with another smart-mouth remark but it was cut off by the sound of Megan's phone ringing. She took it out in the hallway to answer it. She was gone for a while and when she came back her eyes were red and she had red spots all over her face. Valtteri tilted his head at her, concerned, but she just shook her head. She got her clothes and went to the showers after checking to make sure no one else was in there. After she was done, she came back out and packed her stuff, getting ready to leave. Hank and Pavel had left, leaving just her, Valtteri, and Niklas.

"Meggie, your eyes were red when you came back from talking on the phone. Is everything ok," Valtteri asked, placing a gentle hand on her arm. Megan swallowed hard.

"My dad has a relaspse of cancer," she replied, fighting back tears. Valtteri instantly wrapped her in a hug.

"I'm sorry Meg," he said, gently rubbing her back. They sat like that for several minutes before Megan felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned and saw Niklas standing behind her.

"Do you need someone to drive you home, Meggie," he asked. Megan nodded.

"You can drive me, Kronner, because you live closer," she replied. She turned back to Valtteri and he offered her a smile.

"I'll hopefully see you tomorrow linemate, okay," he asked, gently brushing the dark black hair from her face. She nodded, just feeling tired. Valtteri felt and Niklas held a hand out to her. Megan gladly took it and she was pulled up into a hug. She started crying and buried her face in her friend's chest. She nearly collasped from her shaking body but Niklas caught her jsut in time.

"Pleasde take me home Nicky," she begged. Niklas nodded, his hand resting gently on her shoulder.
♠ ♠ ♠
poor megan huh? tell me what you think!