It's My Game...My Way

Chapter #3

Megan walked quietly into the house, not wanting to wake up her boyfriend, David. She ate a small snack and then made her way up to her room. She frowned when she was a light coming from under the door of David's room. She slowly opened the door and found David packing. "Davy, where are you going," she asked. David spun around with an angry look on his face.

"I'm leaving. You seem to be more interested in your teammates than me," he snapped. Megan shook her head.

"Davy, I had a breakdown after my mom called to tell me my dad has a relapse of cancer," she said.

"Well, I feel sorry for you, but I'm leaving. I have another girl, one that won't be more interested in her friends than me," he said, snapping his suitcase shut. He pushed passed her, went down the steps and slammed the door behind him. Megan went to her room and collasped on her bed sobbing. She felt so heartbroken and alone. Without warning, she suddenly reached for her phone, wanting some company. She thought about it for several minutes and then dialed Niklas's number. She soon heard his sleepy voice come over the line.

"Nicky I know it's late but can you come over? David just felt me," she said, trying not to cry.

"Sure. I'll be over there in five minutes okay?" Megan agree and hung up. It seemed like only seconds later that she heard footsteps in the hallway. "Meg? Where are you," Niklas yelled.

"I'm upstairs in my room, Nicky," Megan called back. She heard footsteps and the door to her room burst open. Niklas sat next to Megan on her bed and pulled her into a tight hug as she buried her face in his chest and began to sob. She cried and cried until she had no more tears felt to give. "I suppose you have to go back home Nicky," she said. Niklas smiled and shook his head, resting her hand on her cheek.

"I'm not going to leave you Meggie. And no, I don't need to go home," he said. Megan nodded and got off the bed.

"I should go make a bed for you," she said, blushing bright red. Niklas stood up next to her and firmly gripped her arms.

"I can sleep in the guest bedroom, it's fine. What I want from you right now is for you to get some sleep. We don't have practice tomorrow so you can sleep as much as you want to," he told her. Megan bit her lip and thought for a minute before she nodded in agreement and got into bed.

"Nicky," she said in a sleepy tone, turning on to her back so she could look at him. Niklas raised his eyebrows at his teammate.

"Yes, M & M?"

"Thank you for doing this for me," she whispered before falling fast asleep. Niklas watched her for several minutes, making sure she was really asleep before leaning over and gently kissing her forehead.

"You're welcome," he whispered.

The next morning, Megan woke up feeling sick to her stomach. She stumbled out of bed and just barely made it to the bathroom in time for her to get sick. She was still leaning over the toilet a few minutes later when she heard footsteps behind her. "Meg? Are you okay," Niklas asked.

"I...I think so," Megan replied. Niklas held out a hand for her and she took it, being pulled up to her feet. Niklas gently rested his hand on her shoulder, steadying her as she was still a little shaky.

"Are you hungry? I made breakfast for us," he said. Megan's eyes lit up and she followed him downstairs and into the kitchen. It was when they were eating a few minutes later that Megan looked up at him.

"I owe you for what you did for me last night," she said. Niklas had been busy cutting up his sausage, but he stopped to look over at his friend.

"You don't owe me anything. I wanted to do it because you're my friend," he said. Megan was about to reply but got cut off my the sound of the doorbell. She slowly got up from her chair and made her way to the door. Opening it, she found Valtteri standing on her porch and she let him inside.

"Hi, Val," she said. Her linemate smiled and hugged her.

"Hi, Meggie. You feeling better this morning," he asked. Megan chewed on her lip nervously.

"I had a rough night." She led her friend into the kitchen and he sat down next to her.

"You mean after I left," he asked. Megan nodded and glanced over at Niklas, who gave her a nod. Taking a deep breath, she told Valtteri everything that had happened the night before. When she was done, her teammate took her hand and looked at her.

"David always seemed jealous. I mean, from when I've been around him," he said. Megan nodded.

"He always seemed especially jealous of you Val. Whenever I would laugh at something you said or tease you or make a face at you, he looked angry," she said. Niklas glanced at his watch and caught Valtteri's eye.

"Val, we've gotta get going. Aren't we picking your brother up from the airport?" Valtteri nodded.

"We shouldn't be gone long. Are you going to bed okay by yourself," he asked, rubbing Megan's shoulder.

"Yeah. I'll be okay. If I'm not, I can call one of our other teammates to come over," she replied.