It's My Game...My Way

Chapter #4

Megan sighed and buried her head in her hands a few weeks later. They had just come off a tough loss to the Sharks in San Jose and she was tired. She felt Valtteri rubbing her shoulder and smiled. He did this a lot, especially when she was upset. "You okay, squirt," he asked. Megan looked up at him.

"I'm just tired. You know I haven't been sleeping well since......"

"Since David left you," Valtteri finished her sentence. Megan's phone rang just then and, with a nervous glance at her friend, took it out into the hallway.

"Hello?"

"MEGAN! I HAVE SOME WONDERFUL NEWS FOR YOU," her mom yelled. Megan pressed her phone closer to her ear.

"I'm listening," she said.

"When I took dad to the hospital, there was a Christian family there. When they found out, they told me they were going to pray for him. Well, yesterday, when I went to see him, the doctor said that HE HAD NO SIGNS OF CANCER LEFT!" Megan nearly dropped her phone in joy and relief.

"Oh, mom, that's the best news I ever heard. I.....I can't describe how I'm feeling right now," she said, tears forming in her eyes. They talked for several more minutes before hanging up. Megan wiped at her eyes before heading back into the locker room. Valtteri was looking at her with concern on his face, but Megan smiled and sat down at her locker. Her teammate touched her hand.

"Meg," he said. Megan turned to look at him, her eyes wet with tears and a smile on her face.

"Val, you have to hear this," she said, proceeding to tell him what had happened. Valtteri hugged her tightly when she finished.

"That is a miracle Meg, a pure miracle," he said.

Megan covered her mouth with her hand as she made her way to the team bus with Valtteri, unable to stop the laughter. "I bet he was so mad," she said, still giggling.

"He was. Didn't speak to me for three days after that," her linemate replied, reaching over and ruffling her hair. Suddenly, Megan froze. LEaning on a flag pole near the bus was her ex-boyfriend, David. Valtteri place a hand on her shoulder and she swallowed hard.

"I thought I'd find you here, Meg," David said, walking toward her. Megan scowled and Valtteri gave him a glare. David seemed to notice the hand Valtteri had placed on Megan's shoulder. "Get your hands off my girl," he growled. At those words Megan grew angry.

"I'm not your girl anymore, David. And even if I was, Val is like a brother to me, so it's a brotherly gesture," she said in an icy tone. David narrowed his eyes and stood in front of her before pulling her out of her friend's grasp.

"No, you are my girl. I'm taking you back," he said, lightly touching her face. Megan felt the anger run through her veins. She brought her hand up and smacked him hard across the face.

"NO! I'm not your girl and I never will be again! You walked out on me, David, when I was scared and sad. You walked out on me when I needed you the most," she said, her tone making it clear that she was disgusted with him. David sighed.

"I know. It was a big mistake on my part. I want you back." Megan shook her head.

"No, David. I'm afraid you will have to find someone else. I'm done with you," she said. David's face grew red and Megan knew he was angry.

"I'm leaving now. Be warned, I will find you and take you back as my girlfriend," he said, smiling in satisfaction at the look of horror on Megan's face. The young forward felt someone's hand on her shoulder and before she knew it Valtteri had her ex-boyfriend pinned against the flag pole.

"Don't you EVER threaten her again. You make me sick you know that? I can see why she doesn't want you back as a boyfriend. Most boys that I know of wouldn't have walked out on their girlfriends like that, especially when they're upset. You could see that she was sad, you could see that she was crying, but did you care? No, you're one of those boys who can stand being a boyfriend only when times are good. When times are bad, you're out of there. Boyfriends are supposed to be boyfriends and friends are supposed to be friends in good and bad times," Valtteri said through clenched teeth. He pushed David away from him. "Now, do you want to leave on your own or should my teammate (he waved a hand towards Niklas, who was standing behind Megan) make you leave," he asked. David looked from Valtteri to Niklas to Megan, and then scowled and walked away. Megan was near tears and she tried hard to stop them from coming. Valtteri wrapped her in a hug and she started to cry. "Shh, it's okay," he said. He led her to the bus with his arm around her shoulder, Nikals right behind them. Later on the plane, Megan thanked her teammate for what he did for her. "He deserved a talking to. That guys is an absolute jerk," Valtteri replied. Megan soon felt her eyes closing and tried to force them open. Niklas and Valtteri grinned at her efforts.

"That's one battle you are going to lose, Meg. Just go to sleep," Niklas said. Megan made a face at her teammate but agreed and was soon fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you think will happen with david? Does he come back or not?