It's My Game...My Way

Chapter #5

"No thanks, Val. I know I always go out with you guys, but I'm really tired and my ankle still hurts from bruising it at practice. I'm just going to take it easy," Megan said, hoping she wasn't disappointing her friend. Valtteri smiled and hugged her.

"I understand," he said before making a phone with his hand and holding it up to his ear. It was a signal they had made some time ago, which meant: call me if you need anything. Megan grinned and patted Valtteri's chest.

"I sure will. Now get going, superstar, or you'll be late," she said. Valtteri made a face at her before walking out the door. The girl took out her laptop and went online. For the next half-hour, she watched videos of old time Red Wings hockey. She had just selected another video to watch when she heard her front door opening. "Val's back already," she asked herself. Turning her head, she saw that it was not Valtteri who had walked through her door but her ex-boyfriend, David. "What are you doing here, David," she asked coolly. David tried to take her hand, but Megan just kept pulling it away.

"Come, Meg. Be reasonable. You need me as much as I need you," he said. Despite the pain in her ankle, Megan stood up and faced her ex-boyfriend, her eyes angrily flashing and her fists clenched.

"How many times do I have to say no before you actually get it? I don't need you, David. I've got other friends and family to help me out when I need it. You walked out on me when I needed you the most. I was crying, I was upset, but did you care or even want to know why? No, you didn't. You just packed up and left. Now, I'm going to say it one last time: I DON'T NEED YOU AND I DON'T WANT YOU BACK! Now, do me a favor and get out of my house," she said. David sighed, stood up, walked to the door, gave her a hurt look over his shoulder, and left. Megan sat down on the couch, shaking. Her tiredness and emotions were overwhelming her. She dialed Valtteri's number.

"Hi, squirt! I was just about to call you. Everything okay," he asked.

"No, Val. Nothing's okay right now." Megan heard concern in Val's voice.

"What happened?"

"David came over and asked me again to be his..." That sentence was never finished because right at that moment, she gave a scream of pain. Valtteri heard a crack and the sound of something falling to the floor. Then, there was an eerie silence.

"Meg? Megan!" Valtteri received no answer and then realized the line was dead. He felt sick to his stomach and his face turned white as a sheet. Niklas was sitting next to him and turned when he heard the whispered name. He frowned and gripped his friend's arm, for it looked like he was going to faint.

"Val," he said. His younger teammate looked up at him with blurry eyes.

"Something's happened to Megan," he replied. Niklas looked scared.

"What do you mean," he asked. Valtteri told him about the phone call he had received from their friend. Niklas's eyes get wide and his face turned pale.

"We've got to go help Meg," he said, getting up from his seat. The two hockey players raced to the door, opened it, and ran to Niklas's car. They got inside and the Swedish defenseman drove off. Valtteri rested his head against the seat.

"I shouldn't have left her. I had a feeling something was going to happen. Things had been way too good the last two weeks for it to last," he said, wiping the tears from his face. Niklas frowned but didn't answer. They were at the house in five minutes and both got out of the car and sprinted up the steps. Unfortunately for them, the door was locked. Valtteri kicked it down and the hockey players got inside.

"Megan," they both yelled. They heard a low moan and Niklas flipped the light on. On the floor next to the couch was Megan. They raced to her side and both of their hearts sank when they saw the bruises on her face and the two bumps on her head.

"I bet David did this. Little brat, I'm going to kick his sorry little butt next time I see him," Valtteri muttered. Megan's eyes slowly fluttered open.

"Val," she asked, her voice weak. The young forward took his friend's hand and placed it in his.

"I'm right here, Meg," he said. He squeezed her hand and glanced up at Niklas. "We gotta call 9-1-1," he said. Niklas nodded and went off.

"David did this. I know he did," Megan said in a near whisper.

"Shh, don't try to talk. Kronner is calling the hospital and you'll be in good hands soon," Valtteri said. Niklas soon came back and knelt next to his friends.

"They are on their way," he said. Sure enough, minutes later, the ambulance arrived. They got Megan onto the streacher, into the car, and drove off.

The police arrived right after the hospital left. "Mr. Filppula, Mr. Kronwall, can we ask you a few questions," one asked. The hockey players nodded and seated themselves on the couch. The officers sat in chair across from them.

"How long have you known Ms. Johnson," the one officer asked.

"Since September," Niklas replied. The oher officer opened a notebook to write down the information. They asked Valtteri and Niklas a few more questions and then said the interview was over.

"Thank you for the information. We will let you know if we see anything," the officers said, shaking their hands. The hockey players went out the door and quickly got into Niklas's car.

"Do you want me to take you home, Val," Niklas asked.

"No, we need to go to the hospital. I wanna be there for Meg.......and I know you wanna be there too," Valtteri replied, reaching up to wipe the tears away. The hospital was ten minutes away and when they got there, neither of them made a move to get out of the car. Valtteri had his head in his hands, but Niklas could still hear him saying "It's my fault, it's my fault." Niklas frowned and touched his teammate's shoulder.

"Val. Valtteri, look at me," he said. The younger player slowly raised his eyes. "It's not your fault, it's David's. He broke up with her, he left her, actually, when she most needed him. He regrets it, tries to say sorry, tries to get back in her life, and she slams the door on him. So, what does he do? He hurts her. There is no way any of this is your fault, Val. Megan didn't blame you and I don't blame you. The only person to blame is David. Don't beat yourself up for something you didn't do, that only makes it worse," he said. Valtteri nodded and they both stepped out from the car. They went inside and saw Hank, Pavel, Dallas and Megan's parents. Mrs. Johnson was crying and Mr. Johnson's face was pale. Valtteri had met her parents before and so he went to sit next to Megan's mother.

"Any news," he asked. All of them shook their heads. It seemed like only a few minutes later that a doctor came out. The whole group looked at him expectantly.

"Ms. Johnson is okay. She has a minor concussion and bruised ribs, but no other bad injuries," he said. They all let out a hug sigh of relief. "Only two people can come in and see her at a time", the doctor added. Megan's parents went in first. They came back out an hour later with huge smiles on their faces.

"Megan has requested that Val and Kronner go and see her first," Mrs. Johnson said. The two hockey players grinned at each other and stood up.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you're be able to come in later, losers," Valtteri said. Hank pretended to choke himself and Dallas and Pavel waved them off. Laughing, the two friends made their way to Megan's room. They opened the door and found their teammate sitting up with a bandage around her side and and IV in her arm. The bruises on her face were still there, but she looked a lot better than she had before. Megan held out her hand and Niklas came over and took it.

"I'm glad you're okay, Meg. It would've been horrible if we lost you," Valtteri said, standing at the foot of the bed. Megan shuttered.

"I don't think I'll ever feel safe in that house again," she said. Niklas squeezed her hand. Valtteri suddenly started giggling and Megan looked up, surprised.

"What's so funny about that," she asked, confused. Valtteri shook his head.

"I wasn't laughing at that, I'm sorry. I understand if you don't feel safe there anymore. I was laughing at something that happened before we came in," he replied, telling her what had happened in the hospital lobby. Megan smiled and shook her head.

"You're so mean to them, Val. They're going to get you back during practice....at least Hank and Pav will try," was her comment. Valtteri came to her other side and leaned over her.

"I'll take care of them. You concentrate on getting better," he told her softly. Megan agreed and reached up to pat her friend's chest.

"I'll get better. I'm not going to let a person like my ex boyfriend get me down. I'll be back out on the ice before you know it," she said.