Remember When You Broke Your-...Ankle?

Stupid Rat.

I don't conform to animal abuse, but when I got home from school to see my laptop charger all chewed up in the middle, lord knows how much I wanted to make rat stew with this fucking thing.

It wasn't even my rat to begin with. It was Ray's. When Ray brought it home to his parents it wasn't even a discussion that Ray may not under any means keep the thing. So he asked me to keep it for him. It was an automatic 'no' for me too at first, but Ray loved the thing. I couldn't say no. I don't even know why he loved it so much, it was the ugliest thing ever. Not to mention Ray found it by a dumpster near his house so it could possibly be diseased.

I was actually starting to like the thing and I even started calling him by the name Ray gave him instead of calling it an 'it,' which Ray took a huge offense to. Whatever.

"FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR STUPID RAT," I screamed into the phone to Ray, holding my now purposeless laptop charger in my hands like I just lost my first born child. Seriously, fuck this.

He sighed impatiently. "What did Yoda do now?"

"The fucker chewed up my laptop charger!" I shouted. "laptop chargers are not cheap!"

"Well," he said, "you shouldn't have your laptop charger so close to his cage."

I was infuriated. He didn't sound at all sympathetic. Or like he was even listening to anything I was saying.

"Wow, thanks," I said sarcastically. "The thing is going outside where it belongs."

"MIKEY, NO!" Ray whined. "Please! He won't do it again! And it's not a 'thing!' HE is a rat!"

I loved how he was defending a fucking rat. How does he know he won't do it again? "Ray, I can't deal with HIM anymore. You need to find HIM another home."

he groaned. "Okay. Fine. I'll try. Just don't let him go, Mikey, please!"

I felt like kind of an asshole, threatening to part Ray from practically the love of his life. But I had every right to be pissed off!

Suddenly I heard something over the phone on Ray's end. A woman's voice, maybe? It sounded too young for Ray's mom.

"The hell are you doing?" I asked.

"Busy. I gotta go."

"Busy doing what?"

No answer. He already hung up. I was pretty pissed because I really wanted to know who he was with, but my mind went back to my laptop charger and I was angry all over again.

"Stupid fucking rat," I said to it, like it could actually understand me. "Next time you're going down the garbage disposal."

I opened up my laptop and saw it had a low battery. I pretty much wanted to cry because it's Friday night and all I do on Friday nights is fuck around on my laptop. It's not like there's anything else I could do considering Ray's 'busy' doing god knows fucking what. Of course I could ask Gerard for his charger. That is, if he would actually let me use his stuff. Everything he owned is off limits to me. He even had his own coffee mug in the kitchen that was only for his use.

Suddenly I remembered that he isn't home. He's out and about with Frank. I honestly didn't know who I wanted dead more. Frank or that stupid rat.

There was something about Frank Iero that irked that living shit out of me. We were not fond of each other and we were not shy in showing it. Every time he came over we literally had to be in separate rooms because we got into so much arguments, probably more than me and Gerard did. I didn't know why Gerard hung out with him. He wasn't very interesting. Or nice. Gerard met him at a coffee shop. They found out they have the same interest in music and art and I guess they fell into BFF love or something because they haven't been separated from each other since. It's gross. He's gross.

I then decided I wanted him dead more.

I closed my laptop and looked at the ceiling. Bored, bored, bored night ahead of me. I considered taking the leap of faith to go downstairs to Gerard's room and grab his charger to charge my laptop. He hasn't been home in days, anyway. It's not like he'll be home anytime soon. Besides, after I'm done I'll put it back to where I found it. He'll never know. I'm a genius.

I walked downstairs to his room. He used to have a bedroom right next to mine, but after our family refurnished the basement he practically begged to make it his room. Being completely far away from me as possible was also a plus. Me and Gerard were best friends as kids, but as he grew so did his resentment towards me. He's my older brother. I guess resentment comes natural to younger siblings with older siblings.

When I got to his room, my nostrils fill with the scent of Gerard. Dirty laundry being most of it. It's almost nauseating. I quickly look around for the charger and for a heartbreaking minute I thought that he probably took it with him to Frank's and my heart sank. But I wasn't going to give up.

There's so much shit on the floor you can't even see the carpet beneath it. I picked up dirty shirts, pants, BOXERS, socks, even a fucking pizza box from probably weeks ago with pizza still in it to look for the charger. I actually had to ask myself a few times if this was really worth it and my mind would always answer 'UH, YEAH.'

After much rummaging and trying not to throw up, I see it. It was right there. Literally, three fucking INCHES away from my fingers. I'm about to grab it, when I hear the front door slam.

My head shot up. Mom and dad work late. It can't be them. I hear a set of voices from upstairs, both male. Without a doubt it would have to be Frank and Gerard.

I started to panic. I looked around. I don't even fucking know for what, a teleporter, maybe. SOMETHING to get me the fuck out of his room.

I looked over at Gerard's closet. It's small, but I should be able to fit. But the smell. No. No. I'll die. Or throw up. Or both.

I hear footsteps coming towards Gerard's door. Without even thinking, I practically leap into Gerard's closet.

The two of them enter the room hysterically laughing as if one of them told a hilarious joke or something. I can see the two of them through the crack of the door. The smell in the closest isn't as bad as the outside, but it's still gross. I don't know if the clothes I'm sitting in are clean or dirty.

Frank is sitting on the bed while Gerard's back is towards him fiddling with something on his desk. A drawing, I suppose. Frank is saying something incoherent about his balls itching. Nasty fucker.

"So," I hear frank say after stretching obnoxiously, "We home alone?"

"Nahh," Gerard replies, "My little brother is upstairs."

'My little brother?' Can't he just say 'Mikey' like he should refer to me as? Seriously. I'm 18. I'm older than Frank is!

I can see Frank smirk. "Hm, s' a shame we aren't alone.." he says.

What the hell did he mean by that? What are they gonna do, Drugs? Drinking? And Why the hell did he say it so..seductively?

I heard Gerard giggle a little and Frank stands up and walks over to him. Gerard's back is still facing Frank, and what Frank does next makes me almost yelp in surprise if I didn't put my hands over my mouth quick enough.

From what I can see through the crack of the door, Frank runs his hands down Gerard's back, down to his ass. If that wasn't horrifying enough to watch, he starts kissing the back of his neck.

I was floored. How could I have been so stupid? No wonder they spend so much time with one another. I could have never imagined Gerard being gay, let alone going for someone like Frank.

Gerard welcomed the kisses and turned around so he can kiss him properly, then then abruptly stopped.

"Did I forget to mention my little brother is upstairs?" He reminded him.

"Did I forget to mention that I really don't care?" Frank said playfully and started kissing him again. Gerard welcomed the kisses once again and Frank pulled him towards the bed.

It angered me how Gerard can be so easily manipulated by Frank. Gerard is the most stubborn person I know, and no one can change his mind otherwise. Frank is an asshole. No matter how much of an asshole Gerard is too, Frank doesn't deserve him.

Gerard lied on top of Frank on the bed and they started kissing deeply. I hoped to fucking god they don't fuck while I was in the room because that would be just fucking wrong.

Something was swirling inside of my stomach. It was so much more than anger. It wasn't disgust. It wasn't guilt. I thought for a minute maybe it was jealousy, but I immediately dismissed that thought. No way in hell I'm jealous of Gerard; Frank can go fuck himself.

I saw Frank's hands run down Gerard's back as he was kissing him and Gerard was making these little pleased noises as he was doing it.

You don't deserve him, you don't deserve him, you don't fucking deserve him was all that was going through my mind.

Suddenly I realized it was Frank I was jealous of, and when I also realized the crotch of my pants were tight, I physically wanted to throw up.

Suddenly, Gerard sort of pushes Frank off of him and says something I can't really hear because there's a chorus of "YOU IDIOT YOU'RE GETTING TURNED ON BY YOUR OWN BROTHER YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF EXPLAINING TO DO AT CONFESSION ON SUNDAY" running through in my head.

"Gee, come on," Frank wines, "If the brat wants you, he'll knock."

Brat? I could have bursted through that closet door right there and then. Instead I clenched my fists and pretended to myself I was strangling his fucking neck.

"Besides," he continued, "He's bound to find out about us sooner or later."

Gerard sighed. "Yeah, but I don't want him to find out about us, Frank."

I felt a little hurt. Me and Gerard don't really talk to each other much, but I'm his brother. Yeah, I hate Frank's fucking guts, but that's no reason to hide something like this from me.

"I don't either, but we can't hide us from your family forever. Even though Mikey is a little asshole, and a smart ass-"

"Will you fucking stop?" Gerard says all of a sudden.

Frank looked confused by this. "Stop..what?

"You know what," He says. "Stop talking about Mikey that way."

My mouth dropped. Did I hear him right? He actually fucking stood up for me! To Frank!

"You talk about him that way all the time, Gee!" he shot back.

"Yeah, I'm his big brother, Frankie. I'm supposed to say he's annoying and a pain in my ass. But when other people do it..it's annoying. Besides, he's older than you!"

"Oh, by one fucking year! Big deal!" Frank says, clearly annoyed.

I didn't know Gerard gets so defensive about me. I thought he would resent me to the point where he'd bitch about me right along with him. I hoped Frank felt like shit right now, pissing off Gerard the way he did. I felt a triumphant smile curling along my face.

"Somebody's cranky when they're horny and they can't get what they want," Gerard said playfully.

"I'm not only horny, I'm fucking hungry," Frank whined. "I haven't eaten anything all day."

I can see Gerard roll his eyes. "Well, I've got a few dollars left from my paycheck, wanna grab a bite?" he offered.

"I'd like to take a bite out of you," Frank teased. Barf.

"Mm, maybe after we're done eating," Gerard teased back.

Frank and Gerard argued over who's gonna drive and Gee complained how Frank couldn't fucking drive to save his life, and Gerard turned off the light to his room and shuts the door.

I hear Gerard call upstairs to where he thinks I am that he's grabbing food with Frank and that I'm on my own for dinner and he'll be back later, and I hear the front door slam.

I waited a few minutes to be absolutely sure that they're gone, and I stood up and closed the closet door. I blinked my eyes a few times to make sure they're open. The basement got super fucking dark when the light's off, and I couldn't see a god damn thing.

I tried to walk as carefully as I could through the piles of miscellaneous items on the floor. I thought I was doing pretty good when suddenly I tripped over something, and I heard a very loud what was between a CRACK and a SNAP.

When I hit the ground landing on a pile of clothes screaming in pain, It was obvious that it was my ankle.

I was in agonizing pain. I couldn't move my entire left leg from my calf-down. When I did, sharp pains went throughout my entire body.

I looked around, horrified of what the fuck I was gonna do next. I couldn't move my entire leg let alone crawl, and what makes matters worse, the only way to get out of Gerard's room was going up the stairs and out of the basement.

I couldn't imagine what the hell Gerard would say when he would come home to me lying on his floor with a broken ankle. What the hell was I gonna tell him? 'Sorry, I came down here to steal your laptop charger and I heard you guys coming down so I was hiding in your closet while watching you and your asshole boyfriend dry humping on your bed and when I tired to escape when you guys left I fell and hahahha here I am!'

No.

My first thought was Ray. He could come over and help me up Gerard's steps. That way I could make a better excuse as to how I broke my ankle rather than the previous one. What excuse, though, I wasn't sure. I didn't really care at that point. First I had to get the hell out of there.

I called Ray once, no answer. I called again, still no answer. This fucker better have the greatest excuse in the world as to why he isn't picking up.

Finally, after the third or fourth time, he picked up.

"Oh my god, Mikey, what?" he shouted.

"FINALLY! Ray, the hell are you doing? I called like eight times!"

"You called four times," he corrected. "What is it?"

I looked down at my pained ankle. "You gotta get over here and help me, dude," I groaned.

"Why?"

"ASK QUESTIONS LATER just get over here!"

He made a long pause. "I..Can't."

"THE FUCK YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T?" I shouted. "Where are you?!"

He paused again. "The movies.."

I opened my mouth to shout but stopped myself out of confusion. "Wait..with who?"

He didn't answer.

"Wait," I said. "Don't..don't fucking tell me you actually asked that barista at Starbucks out on a date!"

I can almost see his little fucking grin. "I mean, she said yes."

"Ray, she HAS to be like, thirty!"

"She says I'm very mature for my age!"

I sighed angrily. I knew there wasn't any winning with Ray. "Okay," I said as calmly as I could, "When is the movie over?" God, my fucking ankle hurt so bad the pain was moving up to my thigh. I winced.

"Uh, it like, just started, so probably an hour and a half?"

I screamed out of frustration. I had to. Just to get it out.

"I am NOT about to lay here on Gerard's smelly ass floor for an hour and a fucking half with this painful ass broken ankle!" God, I was so frustrated I wanted to cry.

"..Why are you on Gerard's floor with a broken ankle?"

I sighed angrily again and slammed my hand over my forehead. Does this guy want me to tell him about my day too while I'm at it? I just wished he would stop asking questions and get the fuck over here.

"Okay," I said after I calmed down a little, "I came down here for Gerard's charger, I heard him and Frank coming down, so I hid in his closet, stuff happened, they left, and when I tried getting out, I fell. I'm like, three miles away from the stairs and I need you to help me get the hell out of here because I'm pretty sure Gerard is gonna murder me. Okay?"

Ray laughed. Fucking laughed.

"How does a person get stuck in a situation like that? I mean, seriously," he said between giggles, "You have the worst luck in the world, Mikey Way."

I rolled my eyes as if he could see me. He was right, of course. Only someone like me could get into a situation like this. This is all his fault. If he wouldn't have given me that damn Rat, none of this would have ever happened. Why am I such a good person?

"Will you please> just get over here?" I asked tiredly.

"What the hell am I supposed to do, dude? I can't just blow her off!" he defended.

"Ray. Fuck her! She probably has like, three ex husbands and four kids!"

"SHE HAS ONE EX HUSBAND AND SHE HAS HER TUBES TIED!" he shouted defensively.

"You found all this out on ONE date?!" I asked.

He pauses for a minute. "She really is amazing, Mikey."

I literally punched my phone to try to slap some sense into this kid. This night was fucking awful. The pain is starting to go to my lower back now. I wasn't in the mood to argue anymore.

"Just get the hell over here AS SOON as the move is over, Ray. I mean it." I groaned.

He said something along the lines of 'I will' and 'I won't let you down' and 'I'm probably gonna say hi to Yoda when I get over there' and hung up. I wasn't really paying attention because my ankle was throbbing and the smell of Gerard's room was giving me a headache.

I spent the next half hour trying to crawl to the stairs by only covering about a foot of distance without passing out from the pain. The stairs seemed miles away from where I was. I gave up and spent the next half hour trying to fall asleep until Ray got there without much luck at all.

Maybe I broke more than just my ankle, I thought. Breaking an ankle shouldn't be THIS painful. I decided to check out my leg by very very slowly pulling up the leg to my jeans and used my phone as a light to see the damage.

Not only my ankle, but the lower part of my calf was absolutely swollen. I guess moving my injured foot around trying to crawl to the stairs for the past half hour didn't help much.

My head shot up again because I heard the noise of what seemed like the front door slamming and footsteps upstairs. Please, no. Gerard and Frank cannot be home already.

Gerard's door opened and for a minute there was silence. I couldn't see who it was. My breath was shaky and my heart was beating out of my chest. If I would have seen Gerard and Frank walk down the stairs I probably would have thrown up.

"Mikey?" A heard a voice say, that would only belong to Ray. I sighed in relief. "Mikey, you down here?"

"Yeah, I am. Turn on the light!"

The light turned on and my eyes squinted because I have been in the dark for so long and I wasn't used to the light.

"Right this way, beautiful," I heard Ray said.

I rubbed my eyes. "What? Ray, that's really weird, don't call me-"

When my visioned cleared, I saw Ray walking down the stairs with a skinny blonde woman who was undoubtedly the barista he went out on a date with.

My jaw dropped. This wasn't a part of the plan!

"You..You brought her with you?!" I screamed.

"Mikey, this is Monica." Ray said with a smile.

"Hi!" She said brightly, offering out her hand for me to shake.

"YOU BROUGHT HER WITH YOU?!" I screamed again, clearly ignoring her offer.

"Dude, just be happy I brought some help. She took a class of anatomy when she was in college!"

Monica nodded her head with a big smile. "My professor's name was Professor Mandarin. You know, like the Orange!"

I shook my head. I can't believe this. I really can't believe this.

"Let me see your leg," Ray offered.

I slowly lifted up my pant leg and showed him how swollen it was. I winced. It looked even more swollen with the light on.

"Hm. I think it's broken," Monica said, inspecting my leg.

"I CAN TELL YOU WHAT ELSE IS GONNA BE BROKEN IN A MINUTE!" I screamed.

"You don't gotta be mean, Mikey," Ray chided.

If this blond bitch isn't gonna be murdered in the next minute, Ray will.

"Oh my god, just help me up and get me out of this room."

Ray took my arms and tried pulling me up and I screamed in pain.

"Come on Ray that fucking hurts!"

"Oh my God Mikey it can't hurt THAT bad."

"YOU WANT ME TO GIVE YOU A BROKEN ANKLE TO SEE HOW IT FEELS LIKE?!"

He sighed angrily. "Okay, come on, give me your arms and I'll try to lift you up again."

"SLOW!" I ordered.

He grabs my arms and he's lifting me off the ground, and besides the excruciating pain, for the most part it's working, when all of a sudden a voice shouts "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!"

Ray drops me on my ass like a sack of potatoes and it makes me cry loudly out in pain. Ray shoots around and turns towards Gerard And Frank standing at the bottom of the steps with their mouths open. Gerard looks what's between infuriated and confused. He opens his mouth to say something when he looks at Monica and closes it.

"Who the hell are you?" he asks.

She smiles and offers out her hand. "I'm Monica!"

Oh my god, thank god this woman had her tubes tied. People like her should not reproduce.

Gerard stairs at her hand dumbfounded, then back at me and Ray. Everyone is silent.

"WELL," Ray says loudly, breaking the silence, "it was nice coming over, Mikey. I gotta get Monica home now and, oh, look at the time, I have to be home now too BYE."

As he tried to bolt towards the door, Gerard stops him.

Gerard tried to take control of the situation. "You," he said to Ray, "take..Monica and go in the living room. I'll deal with you two later."

Monica and Ray slowly go up the steps and into the living room, leaving me, Gerard, And Frank alone in Gerard's room.

Gerard walks over to me slowly and tilts his head to the side and raises his eyebrows while looking at me on the floor.

I look up at him with a fake grin on my face and gulp. "My, uh, hah, ankle is kind of..broken?" I say, trying to sound like it's something funny, but Gerard's face is far from amused.

"What the hell did you do this time, Mikey?" Frank says quietly.

"SHUT UP!" Me and Gerard say at the exact same time. It was actually kind of funny. I almost laughed. Frank made a face that said 'okay, okay, I'll back off.'

Gerard calms himself down. "Frank, go wait in the living room with..dumb and dumber. I'll be up then."

When Frank left, I tried to open my mouth to say something, but Gerard put his hand out shut me up, and I did.

He walked over to me and kneels down on one knee.

"Which foot is it?" he asked in a voice quieter than usual.

I pointed to my left foot, and he lifted up my pant leg to see the swollen ankle and I winced again. It seems to get more and more swollen the longer I sit on this floor.

He sighed quietly and stood up. He leaned down and took my shoulders. "On the count of three, okay? One, Two,-"

When he got to three, he pulled me up so fast I almost felt dizzy, and before I knew it I'm halfway standing up, with Gerard supporting my weight.

"Can you put any weight on it at all?" He asked. I shook my head and made an unhappy sound. I was physically drained.

He nodded and took my arms and put it around his neck, and he lifted my legs so he was carrying me in his arms. It felt sort of nice. I feel like I'm five again, when Gerard would lift me off the couch when I would fall asleep on it and he would carry me to my room. He carried me up the stairs and into the living room. I have never felt so happy to be out of there in my entire life and I probably won't go back down there for a while.

The events that followed went sort of like this. Gerard carried me to the living room and sat me down on the couch next to Ray and Monica. Gerard made Frank go into the Kitchen to get an ice pack for my ankle and at first he made a little protest-y noise but did it anyway. Seeing Frank unhappy almost made my ankle feel a little better. His pain is my joy.

Gerard elevated my leg on the coffee table and When frank came back with the ice-pack, I took the ice from him gladly with a little smirk and he glared at me angrily. Gerard sighed loudly.

"Okay. Okay, so, can someone, anyone, please," he said very quietly and slowly as if he's talking to a bunch of three year olds, "tell me, what the hell happened tonight." All the anger in Gerard was gone, it seemed. I guessed he just wanted to know answers.

I was silent and I shot Ray a look to be silent too. Suddenly fucking Monica raised her hand as if she was in class to answer a question.

Frank sighed, clearly pissed off. Gerard raised an eyebrow. "Uh..what?"

"Well," she began, "I was out on a date to see The Avengers with Ray." She looked over and gave him a cheezy little smile. "And, um, then after the movie was over Ray said he had to help Mikey because he broke his ankle from sneaking into his brother's closet or something."

Gerard shot a look towards me that looked infuriated. I was pretty fucking pissed myself.

"Monica," I said gently, "did your ex-husband ever hit you?"

"You went into my room?" Gerard asked, clearly angry.

I shook my head madly. "Okay, wait, Gee, it didn't happen the way you think it did-"

"Yeah, he went down originally to take your laptop charger and he heard you coming down so he hid in your closet," Ray added.

"RAY! NOT HELPING!" I shouted.

"You were gonna touch his fucking stuff without telling him?! Where's your laptop charger, anyway?" Frank broke in.

"I CAN TELL YOU WHERE IT'S GONNA BE IN A SECOND!" I shouted at him.

"FUCKING ENOUGH, OH MY GOD!" Gerard yelled.

Gerard rubbed his eyes out of frustration and turned to Ray and Monica.

"You two. Go. You're not needed anymore." he said a little quieter.

The two of them didn't hesitate for a minute and ran out the door.

Then Gerard turned to Frank. "You..better go."

Frank looked a little hurt for a second, then looked at me, then back at Gerard. He nodded and leaned in for a kiss. Gerard gave him a peck, and Frank smirked at me before turning for the door. "Don't get into a car accident on your way home. Or do, I really don't care," I yelled at him. He flicked me off before shutting the door.

Gerard turned to me and his face got really angry, then softened. He walked over and plopped down on the couch next to me and let out a big sigh.

After much silence, I finally decided to break it.

"You could have told me, you know. About you being gay."

His face turned towards me attentively.

"For once Frank's right about something, and that's that I would have found out sooner or later."

Gerard smiled a bit at this, then turned to a frown. "I don't know, I just..thought you wold be weirded out? Or ashamed."

I shook my head. "I would never be ashamed of you, Gee," I said with a smile.

He smiled back and ruffled my hair lovingly.

"Can you please not make out with Frank in front of me, though?" I asked. "I've seen enough."

He giggled. "Yeah, sorry you had to see that.."

I shook my head. "It..It wasn't you, really. If it would have been anyone but Frank.."

I stopped myself before I could go any further.

He raised his eyebrows. "You..wouldn't have minded watching?" he asked.

I tried to open my mouth to defend myself, but he started hysterically laughing. I wanted to punch him.

"Wait, stop, no, that's not what I meant at all-"

"I ALWAYS thought that you had a little bit of jealousy for me," he said in between laughs.
I felt really stupid. If my ankle wasn't injured I would have walked out of the room.

"It's kind of cute," he said quietly.

I smiled at him and rolled my eyes. "Okay, fine. Whatever. Can you please just get me some Advil for my ankle? It kills."

He laughed and nodded his head and stood up to get me the Advil, but not before giving me a sweet, quick peck on the lips.

"All this for a fucking laptop charger," he said on his way to the kitchen. "We sure do have a story to tell mom and dad when they get home."

I decided to like that rat a little more. Just a little.