Eternal Heartbeat

001

The breeze was soft and cool against the late summer heat that climbed in the evening hours, the stars started to slowly twinkle as the sun settled slowly against the horizon. The court was alive with light music, laughter and songs danced through the wind up the pillars in to the night.
"Thinking it over and over wont change what is said and done" My mothers voice washed over me I heard her heels click against the tile floor as she made her way out to the balcony next to me.
"Courses have changed before mother" I said biting my cheek looking at her.

My mother had impeccable beauty she was graceful in her way but can be ruthless and brutal, which is what made her a exceptional ruler after my father died.
"Fate my dear, your father saw it and the gods spoke of it so it shall be" She said looking me over with a stern look.
"Ah yes the art has spoken" I said bitterly towards my mothers talent to speak to the dead and able to rise them if need be.
Silence descended between us, only sound was breathing and the music from the court. My mother sighed leaned in to hug me.
"I understand your blind sided but this has been going on long enough, your brothers, your cousins, your uncles and aunts and your father sacrificed there lives in this war, so much blood shed needs to stop" She said with a small whisper towards the end. I swallowed hard and nodded understanding her need to reach an agreement her time as Queen was coming to a end and she doesn't want me to assume power with a war raging right in our backyard.

"Marus isn't pleased" I said walking in to my room sitting at the vanity taking pins out of my hair looking at my mother look over the land with her back against the door frame., she was deep in thought, my sister Ashlyn never married her suitor died in battle along side our father. Ashlyn went off the deep end after they brought the dead home and she along with his family made the final identification she like my brother and the rest of our people hated the Diedrich family.
"Marus is just over protective" My mother said closing up the balcony doors locking them and drawing the curtains
"Well he has a right to be., I wouldn't want my sibling to be married off to our sworn enemies" I said running a brush through my hair
"You need to stop this nonsense Callan, your people will need you and showing a effort for peace and truce will show them your ready to lead. Lead your family and people in peace" My mother said her worry lines furrowing her brow line. I sighed and looked at my mother and myself together in the mirror. I looked like her, with subtle mixes of my father but I had my mother's fair skin, her red hair and her body type, I had my fathers eyes and smile but the Viking in my mothers side stood out more so then the royal side of my father.
"Get sleep my darling tomorrow we meet with the Elders to make preparations for our visit" She said kissing my forehead gently before leaving me alone in my room with my thoughts of this arrangement.

Hours passed, the court was quiet now, thunder rumbled in the distance, lightning sparked at the edge of the woods on the horizon the breeze stayed the same picking up slightly.
"Callan?" I looked back Marus poked his head in my bedroom door, I smiled slightly and nodded for him to come in, the door latched quietly and he was standing beside me in under a minuet.
"Why are you still awake?" He asked leaning against the iron railing, his hair was a mess, his shirt untucked from his pants
"I could ask you the same question brother" I said looking back out at the edge of the lands
"Can't quiet the thoughts running through my head" He said with a small grunt
"Wouldn't be the thoughts of my upcoming nuptials would it?" I asked with a smirk rolling my eyes Marus stiffened and sighed
"Your afraid" He said
"I have every right to be wouldn't you be?" I asked turning to look at him
"I would be terrified" He whispered pushing himself off the railing
"Get some sleep the sun will rise soon and your meeting with the Elders is after breakfast" He said kissing my forehead as he walked out of my room, thunder cracked in the sky., loud and unruly lightning followed lighting the sky like morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story!,
A new direction hopefully you like it.

Let me know what you think of it!