Eternal Heartbeat

003

I sat against the cool stone wall, the sand stone was warm in color but cool in touch, the sun climbed higher in to the morning sky and there wasn't a cloud in sight. Hawks circled around the sky swooping down and up., children's laughter filled the air along with sounds of the market. I took a deep breath wondering what was happening behind the oak doors that decided my fate.
My attention snapped back to reality when Ashlyn rounded the corner in to the hall and saw me sitting against the window. My oldest sister was dressed in a deep green dress with gold accents that popped against her stark white skin, out of all of us she was the palest, mother said because she was born under a hunters moon and that the Gods fated it.
"A little early for you too be awake no?" I asked looking up in to my sisters blue eyes she smiled and huffed taking a seat next to me on the bench.
"Never to early to see my little sister get her future decided for her" She said with a light laugh leaning back and looking me over, Ashlyn was never awake before noon and she usually wasn't in such great spirits.
"I'm more worried about you then you think, I show my concern in a different way I'm no Marus I wont throw a fit because I don't agree with it, I stay reserved and quite and calculated about it all I remember everything" She said looking out the large window that over looked the market, smells of meats, and spices floated through the window. I swallowed hard and looked away she was right, Ashlyn was the level headed one of any situation and when angered she was feared by our people and our guards especially she had a nasty little habit of using fire to get her point across.

The oak doors cracked open and Marus stepped out giving me a weary look. I stood smoothing out my cream colored dress, Ashlyn grabbed my head and nodded giving me a soft smile. A silent understanding between us.

I stepped past my brother in to the Grand hall of Elders, the floor was a polished black marble while the walls held beautiful tile work, the dome in the ceiling displayed intricate colored glass making the sun change colors, the walls where high and had images of the Gods among them in the center of the room my mother stood with members of her guard in the tribunal while just feet in front of them was a long solid oak table with men sitting before them looking worn down and tired, rumors of the elders went back hundreds of thousands of years that once they age to a point they stopped aging and learn the way of the gods, the people, the rule. The Elders and the Queen work together to unify treaties and make peace an option.

"Ah Lady Callan come in come in" A man spoke gesturing me forward with a motion of his hand, my mother turned and gave me a soft smile as I walked and stood next to her, Marus took his place in the guard and stood silently. My mother was dressed in a gray dress with silver and black accents her red hair tied up in a delicate manner she looked strong and fearless.

"Gentlemen, we called this meeting to discuss a solution; a solution to end the war, the blood shed, the fighting. As we all know the war against the Diedrich family has been going on for almost a thousand years, that's a thousand years of blood shed, Now our solution is simple and with discussion with the other side Jackson Diedrich is next in line for his fathers chair and he is also able to marry, I suggest an arranged marriage between the families as a sign of peace to cease the fighting, my daughter Callan is also of age and after much discussion-"

"Yes yes Geneva, we all know the fate of Callan she is to marry Jackson, now what is the real reason of this meeting?" A deep voice cut off my mother and she bit back her words and swallowed hard
"A meeting in the east on neutral territory between us and the Diedrich family for the children to meet and for us to do so safely, we call upon you five men of great power to reach out and set this meeting in motion so this war can finally end" The hall was silent the men seemed to nod and talk amongst them selves for several moments.
One of the men stood and quieted his brothers.
"The meeting will take place in 3 days in time in the east at sundown the family from the east requests that both families bring a guard member for each family member Geneva you are allowed two guards due to your status and lack of husband that is all" He sat back down slumped in his chair seemingly deflated like he was used as a channel from the east. My mother nodded and turned to leave, I behind her then the guard followed suit.

Ashlyn stood beyond the doors waiting to hear what we had just been told., My mother pulled her aside and asked the guard the take me back to my room. The walk back was quiet and filled with questions and worry.
"I'm not pleased" Marus said standing at my side as we walked down the hall I kept my head up and nodded as we passed the servants and towns people offering them a soft smile
"I know you are not and neither is Ashlyn but we need to try for the sake of peace" I said rounding the corner and climbing the stairs foot steps echoed off the walls
"Peace works both ways sister always remember that" Marus said with a grim look on his face.