Status: posting

I'll Be Watching You

Chapter two

It was later that day that Uncle Rob got a call from his friend, Daniel Miller.

"Hi, Danny."

"Hi, Rob. I'm calling about your nephew." Rob smiled.

"Sam? What about him?"

"I saw his play on the tapes for those tryouts he did. He's a great player."

"Thanks, Danny. He didn't make it."

"I'm sorry to hear that. But that's what I was calling about." Rob felt his heart beat quicken.

"What for?"

"Well, you know how I'm a scout for the Detroit Red Wings? I had been scouting that tryout for a while. And I noticed your nephew almost instantly. He's like Zetterberg: he keeps the puck away from other players, he's got speed and he seems pretty good defensively. I was thinking if he didn't make it, he might come to training camp with us. Coach Babcock-I showed him the tapes-he agreed." Rob almost fainted.

"Are you serious? When would you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning, I think." Rob almost leaped for joy.

"I think he'd like that. Can I call you back? I wanna talk to him."

"Sure! Call me as soon as you get his answer." Rob hung up and went to find Sam. Sam was in her bedroom, listening to her Ipod. Rob tapped her on the shoulder. Sam looked up and pulled out her earphones.

"What's up, Uncle Robbie?" Rob sat on the bed.

"Do you remember me talking about my friend Daniel Miller," he asked. Sam pushed herself up, leaning her head against the wall.

"That scout for the Red Wings? Sure, I remember." Rob grinned.

"Well, he called me just a few minutes ago. He was wondering if you'd be interested in coming to training camp with them. He watched your tryout tapes and he says your a great player." Sam didn't answer for several minutes.

"Are you serious? Of course I wanna go! I've been dreaming about this forever," she finally said, getting up from her sitting position and jumping on the bed. Rob laughed, watching his niece for several minutes before he went to the telephone.

"Danny? It's a go. He's going alright!"

"Good! Would it take you that long to get up there?"

"Na. Maybe 3 to 4 hours at the most. We'll be there! See you tomorrow Danny." The two old friends hung up.

Sam, after she heard the news, started to jump on the bed. - I can't believe it! I'm actually going! Training camp, preseaon, regular season, playoffs. It'll be great -she thought to herself. She quickly dialed her best friend's-Emily Black-number.

"Hello?"

"Emily! Have! I! Got! News! For! You," Sam practically yelled into the phone.

"You made the team? That's awesome, Sam."

"No, Emily. I didn't make the team. I'm on a higher level than that."

"I don't under-OH MY GOSH! You're in the NHL!" Sam laughed.

"Yep, I sure am. I'm going to training camp tomorrow for Detroit. So excited!"

"I am too. Sam, that's awesome!" The two friends talked for a little while longer before they hung up. Sam raced out into the family room and jumped into her uncle's arms.

"I'm going! I'm going," she yelled. Rob grinned at his niece.

"Yes you are, Sam. Now we should get to bed. We're going to be getting up early tomorrow."