Status: Please read and comment.

A Complicated Situation

Chapter Nine

Jenny's P.O.V

"I can't wait until you guys find out the gender," Quinn said, sipping her latte. I was drinking water, still suffering from my nausea.

"Neither can I. It will make everything seem so much more...real, to me," I replied, glancing through a book of baby names. Quinn was absorbed in an issue of Fit Pregnancy that I had gotten from Glenview Pharmacy.

"Have you guys discussed names?" She questioned, her eyes narrowed on a column about sex during pregnancy.

"No. Neither of us see much of a point in discussing names until we figure out the gender."

She nodded.

I looked back down at the book, but I wasn't really looking. I was too busy thinking about the possibility of moving in with Billie. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I didn't want to leave my house. It was my first taste of independence, and while I did it with Quinn's help, I worked hard to make this place my home.

But, on the other hand, Billie had room. Plenty of room. Enough room where our child could have an actual bedroom. And he was so excited about being a father and starting a family.

"Jenny," Quinn said, waving her hand in front of my face. I snapped out of my daze.

"What are you thinking about?"

I sighed and shrugged.

"It's about something Billie had said a few days ago," I replied, vaguely. She leaned forward, and I knew that my answer did not satisfy her. She wanted the whole story.

"He invited me to move in with him."

I could see the expression on her face turn serious.

"Really?" Quinn finally asked, closing the magazine. I nodded.

She took another sip from her mug and swallowed hard.

"Are you gonna do it?"

Again, I shrugged.

"I don't know, Quinn," I said, sipping some water, "there are a lot of big changes happening too quickly for my taste."

Her finger grazed over the sleek edge of her cup. She licked the cinnamon-flavored foam from off her finger.

"As much as it pains me to see you go, it might be a better place for the baby," she finally commented, her eyes scanning my face for a reaction.

I looked down at the handbook of names.

"I think you might be right," I muttered.

Neither of us spoke.

I looked around the living room, taking in all of the little details.

No doubt about it, I loved Billie. But there was a part of me that wanted to raise our child in the firehouse, even if it wasn't the most ideal space for a baby.

"No matter what happens, this place will always be open to you and whatever you bring into this world," Quinn reminded me, smiling weakly. I nodded.

"It will definitely make Billie happy, though," I said. She smiled again.

"He'll be overjoyed. And I think it will make you happy, too," she replied.

----------

Billie's P.O.V

Tré couldn't stop talking about becoming an uncle. He was already offering to babysit.

"I didn't expect you to be this excited," I commented, watching as he smiled.

"Well I love kids. Probably because I still am one," he explained, simply.

I chuckled at his response, but there was a big piece missing from this conversation.

I tried to act like I didn't miss Mike. But obviously I did. And to have my best friend missing during one of the most exciting and challenging times of my life was hard.

"Have you talked to Mike?" I asked Tré, but I didn't want him to think I cared as much as I did.

"Of course. And I'm pretty sure he misses you, just as much as you miss him, even if neither of you want to admit it," he answered, smirking.

He saw right through my sheer veil of a lie when I pretended I didn't care about Mike.

"If he misses me so much, then why won't he answer my calls?" I inquired and watched as the smirk left his face. He rolled his eyes.

"You know Mike. He isn't good at just letting things go, especially when he thinks he is in the right," Tré explained.

I stayed silent, sure that Mike and I would never be able to get over this.

"Should I let him come to me?"

Tré looked up from the floor and nodded.

"I think you would be better off that way, yes," he replied.

Mike's P.O.V

"If you miss him so much, you should just answer his calls."

Lily was growing tired of me constantly talking about Billie. And I couldn't blame her for that.

"I can't let him think that what he has done is okay!" I exclaimed, watching as she got up off of the bed and began putting on her clothes.

I realized that she was getting ready to leave and I knew that I had finally pushed her to her limit.

"Don't go, baby," I begged, grabbing her gently by the wrist. She turned around and glared at me.

"Why shouldn't I? The whole reason you're mad is because Billie is dating your ex-girlfriend. Why does she even matter to you anymore? Do I have to remind you that you're dating me?" Lily ranted, sounding angrier than I have ever heard her speak before.

I looked down at the ground sheepishly.

She sat down at the edge of the bed.

"Look, it doesn't feel very good. To listen to you complain about Billie dating your ex-girlfriend when I'm here makes me feel like you still have feelings for her. And if that's the case, I can't stick around for it," she explained, her tone much softer than it had been just a moment prior.

I grasped her hand and was surprised when she didn't rip it from my own.

"You're right, Lil. It's not fair that I keep complaining about this. You don't deserve that," I muttered, resting my chin on the top of her head.

She wrapped her arms around me and sighed.

"So are you going to talk to him?" Lily finally asked, pulling away from me so she could look me in the eyes.

I sighed and nodded.

"Yeah, I guess I have to eventually."