She Is Beautiful

My heart stops when you look at me.

"No, hold on...he didn't give you his number?" Soraya asked.

I blushed, and I knew she could see it on her small computer screen. I shook my head and said, "No. I gave him mine."

Soraya squealed, an awful sound I'd never heard her make before. She covered her mouth and giggled, and I rolled my eyes. I stood there, my hands on my hips, waiting for her to calm down. It seemed like she never would, but she sensed my annoyance and silenced herself.

"Belle, I'm just excited for you!" she said. "You haven't had a real boyfriend in ages!"

"Giving him my number doesn't make him my boyfriend," I said.

"Okay, but that's not what I'm going to tell people-"

"You can't just go around telling people my business, Soraya. Especially since he's a celebrity and all."

"Oh, hush. You know I don't have anyone to tell anyway. Hey, so I'm not coming home until Friday now. There's a rally at the plaza here and I'm going."

"Okay, but don't forget to stop by-"

My phone started to ring. I looked down. The number wasn't in my contacts, but it was a Los Angeles number. I looked back up at Soraya. She squealed again but covered her mouth to silence herself. I picked up the phone.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey, Belle," said the man on the other line. "It's Jordon. From the bar."

"With two O's, I remember," I chuckled.

"Yeah," he chuckled nervously. "Um, what are you doing tomorrow night?"

"Currently, nothing," I said, walking away from my computer. Soraya was now flapping her hands around in excitement.

"Would you maybe want to go on a date with me?" he asked.

"That sounds like a fantastic idea," I replied. "What time should I be ready?"

"I'll pick you up at 7. Sound good?"

"That sounds wonderful."

There was an awkward pause before he said, "Wait, I don't know where you live."

I giggled and said, "I'll text you the address so I know you have it. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, thanks," Jordon said. "See you tomorrow."

He hung up and I did the same. Before I even turned around, I heard Soraya screaming on the computer. I put a hand over my face and shook my head. It was a good thing she was so far away.

***

I sat staring at the door, my ankles crossed and my hands in my lap like I was ready for church. The clock read 6:47, but I was still nervous. Was he going to be able to find this place? Where were we going? What did he have planned? I sat in silence, looking at minuscule things around our apartment that hadn't bothered me up to this point. Was that picture a little crooked? Were the pillows on the couch the same color?

The panel on the wall buzzed, and I jumped. I looked over at the clock. 6:55. Had I really been staring at nothing for that long? I stood up and pushed the speaker button.

"I'll be right down," I said.

I took another look at myself in the mirror. My heart skipped a beat, but I smiled and pushed any thoughts I had to the back of my mind. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I almost missed Soraya's unnatural squealing as I exited the apartment. Almost, but it was better she wasn't here. I didn't need her making me any more nervous than I already was.

Jordon was leaning casually against his car when I stepped out of the entryway of the apartment complex. He stood up straight and smiled at me when he saw me, and I did the same to him. He opened the car door for me, and I thanked him as I got in. When he got in, he looked at me again. I saw him smile out of the corner of my eye, but neither of us said anything. The car shifted forward, and our night took off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a couple weeks. I was sick for awhile, and now I'm out of town for work. I've been trying to work on it slowly so as not to push this story to the back of my mind.

Title Credit: "Teenage Dream" | Katy Perry