Status: currently writing

It Takes a Little Push to Pull on Through

chapter 2.

Chapter 2.

Cara sighed before opening the door to the Broadway Diner. She did her best to put on a smile as she walked through the diner and to the back area where she could put on her uniform and hangout for a few minutes before her shift started.

"Hey Squirt"

She rolled her eyes and turned around as Joel, one of her co-workers, walked in to the room.
"Hey Joel. How's it been out their today?"
"Its been okay" Joel said as he sat down in the chair across from Cara and spun around, "so far, not to busy but not to slow"
"Thank god. Hopefully it stays that way. I can only put on a smile for so many people today"
"Make sure not to scare them away"
"I'll try my best not to" she laughed as she grabbed her notepad and pen, "I'll see you out their when your break is done"
"Loser"

Cara turned around, facing Joel, tongue sticking out and made an "L" shape on her forehead and laughed before walking out to take orders, serve customers and all else she's got to do as a server.

***

It has only been an hour since Cara started her shift but it felt like five. Things had started to pick up within the first thirty minutes of her shift and her face was already starting to hurt from the fake smile she had to keep plastered on her face. Her job paid great money but it had its ups and downs. Having to plaster a fake a smile for 8 hours today is definitely a down.
No matter how much she tries to be happy and not think about what's going on, she only thinks about it more.
Cara was finishing cleaning up a table when her co-worker Sam walked up.

"Cara, could you possibly do me a favour and get table 10? They just sat down a few minutes ago but I have to clean up table 12"
"Yeah sure, I got you don't worry"
"Thanks Cara. I just don't want to keep them waiting any longer"
"No worries. I'll do it in a sec"

Sam gave Cara a quick side hug before walking off to go clean the table. Cara just smiled and carried the plates off the table and in to the kitchen, placing them down on the counter to be washed. She walked back out, opening her pad and grabbing her pen as she headed over to table 10 where five guys were seated.

"Hi their, sorry for keeping you waiting, my name is Cara and I will be your server for today. May I start you all with some drinks?" She put on her best smile possible as she waited to write stuff down.
"My name is Jack and I just want to let you know that you are beautiful" The boy with the skunk hair spoke.
"Jack, you cant just hit on girls. You have a girlfriend" The man sitting next to him spoke out.
"I know I have a girlfriend, Matt, but can't you see the smile she is forcing upon her face right now?" Cara felt like her face was on fire and was on the brink of an anxiety attack. 'Chill out Cara' She kept telling herself
"He's right. Long day hun?" The man with Sandy brown hair said.
Cara sighed, "Only started my shift an hour ago but you have no idea. Been a long long day so far but I have to be professional. Are you guys ready to order or do you need a few for minutes?"

Alex, Jack, Rian, Zack and Matt all just looked at her for a second before agreeing that they were ready to order. Alex was the first to order and as the rest of the guys ordered, he couldn't help but wonder what was bothering this young waitress.

Alex watched as the young waitress named Cara walked away from their table before turning his attention back to the rest of the gang. Jack and Rian were busy having a knife fight while Zack just watched in amusement and Matt was shaking his head. Alex let out a little laugh at his friends and then sighed as he slouched back and ran his right hand through his hair. Yeah he might not have known this girl but Jack was right. The smile she had plastered to her face was forced and she was hurting inside.

"Earth to Alex" Zack's voice snapped Alex out his thoughts and brought him back to reality "you in their man?"
"Yeah" Alex smiled at his friend and sat up straight, "I've just never seen a smile filled with such sadness"
"Hey" Rian spoke up, "I'm sure that whatever she is going through right now, she will be fine. We all go through tough times"
"You know what? You're right. I'm sure she will be fine" Alex scratched his head and shook away the thoughts before he joined Jack and Rian in the knife fight they continued to have.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter. Hopefully you guys liked it though. Let me know in the comments what you think so far. Thanks for reading :)