The Ritual

The Woods

Dust flew up in my face as he raced away on his motorcycle. I didn’t know what to think at that point but I knew in my heart that it was going to be a while before I saw him again. His smile was the most beautiful smile I had ever seen and I would carry it with me until we were together again.
I walked in the opposite direction, shifting the backpack onto my back and listening to the gravel crunch under my boots. The sun beat down on my neck and I could feel the sweat beading on my forehead. The summer hadn’t even begun yet and the weather was already at a record high. I already knew it was going to be hell without him but, he was right, I had to find my strength and learn to depend on only myself.
It was about ten in the morning when he left me in the middle of the dried up lake. It was a test of trying to survive on my own, I knew this but I was still scared of what I was to face. I heard of many different outcomes from this journey but I was ready to prove I had what it takes to be one of them. To prove that I had the strength to finish this journey and come out of it on top. I was ready for whatever the terrain threw at me. I could do this.
The wind blew and more dust flew up in my face, making me squint to keep moving forward. The first order of business that I had was to find water. I knew that when I found water, I would find food as well. Forest surrounded the dried up lake and my destination became evident. My pace quickened and determination filled my head. I was going to make the most of this journey while being successful in the end. That was my goal.
I had been walking for about an hour when I heard the howl of a wolf not far off in the woods. I smiled, remembering the reason I was here. To find my spirit animal, the wolf. In my vision quest, I had met the wolf but to become a part of the tribe I had to find the black wolf that raced through my dreams and learn the value of loyalty and how to follow my instincts. The howl followed me as I quickened my pace again, impatience growing quickly in my heart.
With every step, I grew closer to the forest and my heart began to race. The smell of the trees called to me and I couldn’t wait to be embraced by their scent. I could still hear the howl of the wolf up ahead and my instincts told me to follow the sound. That’s what this journey was about, so I walked through the trees and opened my ears, waiting for any sign to follow.
Immediately, I could feel the change in the air and smell the musk of a wolf all around me. He was close, almost close enough for me to hear his heavy panting as he trotted through the woods. The wind picked up, pushing me deeper into the woods. The heat of the day was hindered by the thick pine trees that loomed over head. I sighed in relief, feeling the cool shade on my face.
Another howl ripped through the trees and it was closer this time. My heart started pumping and I could feel the adrenaline rushing through my veins. Waiting to find this animal was wasting on my patience and I was starting to get anxious.
Breathe, Blake. You’re going to get through this. I told myself. I trained for this and I was ready for anything that would be thrown my way.
I walked further into the woods, feeling the air whisper through the branches. Every step that I took crushed another leaf or branch. A mosquito buzzed by my head and I waved it away as I kept moving. A few seconds later, it came back along with a few others. I waved them away again. Where did they come from? I thought.
I looked up to see a small stream trickling through the woods. I raced to it and dropped to my knees, plunging my hand in the cool water. I brought the water to my lips and sipped greedily. The few hours I spent in the sun had made me more thirsty than I had ever been in my life. I quenched my thirst then filled the water bottle that I found in the backpack he had given me.
Once everything was back to where it was supposed to be, I stood and continued in the same direction. As I walked, I heard yips up ahead. A wolf pack, just what I was looking for. I smiled and my pace picked up again. It I was successful in my journey, I would have a place in the pack.
I turned the corner and a stag stood in front of me. He snorted and stamped his hoof as he was going to charge, but I knew better. I bowed to him and waited for him to return the gesture. When he did, I stood and walked up to him, petting his neck. “Hello, old boy. It’s nice to see you again.” I said to him, knowing it was my grandfather’s spirit animal watching after me.
He nuzzled my face and snorted again. I smiled, remembering when I first met him with my grandfather. I was six and he had taken me into the woods for a walk, or that’s what he told me. We walked through the same trees I was walking past now to this very spot. The stag also stood here in this spot, waiting for us. My grandfather walked right up to him while I stood back, scared of the huge animal watching me.
I watched my grandfather reach up his hand and pet the deer behind the ear like it was a pet. My grandfather smiled and talked to him as if the deer could understand him. I waited for him to start talking, and he did.
“This is my granddaughter, Blake. Blake, this is Ashwa.” My grandfather smiled at me. The stag bowed to me, letting me know that he wouldn’t hurt me and I was always safe in his presence. “It is an honor Blake. Your grandfather has told me so much about you.”
Being a small child, I walked up to the deer and hugged his legs. I could see my grandfather smiling and the deer curled his head around me as if he was hugging me back.
I looked at Ashwa now and I could see the same sparkle in his eye that I saw that day. I knew that I was safe with him no matter what.
“It has been a long time, Blake.” He smiled as I scratched behind his ear.
“Too long.” I replied as we started walking.
I always felt more at peace when I was with Ashwa. It was like being with my grandfather again. I missed him so much.
“I assume that you’re looking for your spirit animal?” Ashwa asked, staying in step with me.
“You assume right. Today is my birthday, so it is time for me to prove that I am worthy to take my grandfather’s place.”
I saw Ashwa smile out of the corner of my eye. “You were born to do that. From the minute I met you, I knew you were special and every moment after that, you only proved I was right.”
“Only time will tell.” I said under my breath. I wasn’t so sure that I would be able to replace my grandfather once this was over. He had some pretty big shoes to fill.
Ashwa and I walked silently for a while, just enjoying each other’s company. I searched for any sign of wolves as we walked, hoping we were getting close. The yips I heard earlier had faded when I found Ashwa, but now that I was concentrating again, I could hear them and they were louder, closer. My ears perked up when I heard a howl rip through me. It was if the wolf was right in front of me. My pace quickened and I raced through the tree line with Ashwa at my heels.
When I broke through, I was in the middle of pack central. Wolves of all shapes, colors and sizes sat in a circle, waiting for me. This was the moment I had been anticipating all day. The moment where I put my skills to the test and trust that I am prepared enough to impress the Alpha.
I looked around the circle as the wolves all stared at me. Each face was different, each telling a different story. The one that stuck out the most was the black wolf that sat in the center of the circle. His eyes a bright yellow, sparkling in the light of the sun. When our eyes met, the wind blew and a shiver crawled up my spine. It was him. The wolf that had been running in my dreams since my vision quest. I could feel the energy in the circle rising and I took a step forward. Behind me, Ashwa stamped the ground nervously but he knew that I had to do this. He knew that this was why I came here.
As I reached the Alpha, I set my backpack down and bowed. Every breath I took shook through me with nerves. It took a few minutes for the wolf to read me and then he finally bowed. It was something that felt so uplifting and incredible it’s hard describe. I let out a sigh of relief as I stood back up and waited for my instructions.
“Blake, you have come a long way to be in this spot and you’ve worked hard. That will not go unnoticed. However, there are a few things things you will have to do that will ensure what you have been looking for. The blood ritual is first followed by the changing ritual. If you succeed in both of these your journey will be complete. You will be a part of the pack and the tribe. You will take your grandfather’s place and continue his legacy.” The wolf said as he watched me.
I nodded my head. “When do I begin?” I asked, ready to prove myself. I was born to do this and I had every ounce of confidence that I would succeed.
“Now.” I could see pride glowing in the wolf’s eyes. He was confident in me too. Knowing that, it made it easier to walk into these challenges and face them.
The blood ritual was first. This was the part that I was a little uneasy about because I wasn’t exactly a fan of pain but I would push through it to prove that I could handle anything. I took out a knife from my backpack and took a deep breath to steady myself. With all of the wolves and Ashwa watching, I sliced the palm of my left hand and watched as the blood dripped to the ground, connecting me with the earth. Grabbing the Alpha’s paw, I sliced his leg as well, mixing out blood, connecting him to me and me to him.
“Blake Eastwood do you solemnly swear to protect the pack of Kovo in any conflict or endangerment that may fall upon us?”
“I do.”
“Blake Eastwood do you solemnly swear to be a member of the pack for life with no hesitations?”
“I do.”
“Blake Eastwood do you solemnly swear to carry out the rules and lifestyle of the pack once you are in the tribe?”
“I do.”
“It is done.” Kovo stood on all four legs and bowed his head to me again. The rest of the circle and Ashwa followed.
I bowed to Kovo, feeling like a weight had lifted off of my shoulders. The cut on my palm had stopped bleeding and was more of an annoying throb now, but I didn’t care. I had one foot in the door with the pack and the tribe. I was making progress. If only my grandfather could see me now.
“It is time for the changing,” Kovo looked up at me and smiled. “I’m going to be honest, Blake. This is going to be painful in ways that you can’t imagine, but the end result will be much more rewarding.”
I smiled back at the black wolf that I had already learned to like. He had a natural comfort about him that made me feel that I was safe within the boundaries of the pack. I felt that none of the members would be disloyal and would greet me into their family with open arms. I just hoped that tribe was a receiving.
Suddenly, chaos broke out in the clearing as arrows rained down on the pack. They stuck in the ground and in the bark of the trees. I saw the terror on all the faces of my new family and screamed at the top of my lungs. “Everyone back into the woods. Hurry!”
I stayed behind, making sure every last wolf made it through the tree line. Ashwa stood at the edge and waited. He needed to get out of here just as much as everyone else. I waved at him to get going but he wouldn’t move. The next thing I knew, blood started dripping down his shoulder and I could see the feather covered end of a Riverstone tribe arrow. It was the rival tribe that challenged my grandfather’s every chance they got. Now that he was gone, I had become their target.
I raced toward Ashwa and pushed him toward the tree line to get him moving. He was all of my grandfather that I had left and I wasn’t going to lose him. I had to try everything I could to save him.
Once we were passed the tree line, I looked for any sort of cover I could find. I was struggling to push Ashwa along when a gray wolf appeared at my side. It barked at me to get my attention and then ran on ahead. I knew I had to learn to trust the pack, so I pushed Ashwa along after the wolf, keeping pressure on his wound.
It wasn't long before I could see where the wolf was taking me. It was the pack's den that was dug into the side of the mountain. I smiled, feeling as if I was being brought home for a family gathering. Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought of how proud my grandfather would have been to see how far I had come.
"He watches you closely, Blake. He's proud of everything you've done and will do. There's nothing denying that." Ashwa said, gritting his teeth through the pain.
I sniffed a little as a tear fell down my cheek. I stopped moving for a second to compose myself and buried my face into Ashwa's fur. He smelled of wind and trees, just as my grandfather had. I could feel Ashwa's muscles relax under my touch and then yells ripped through the woods behind me. That prompted me to move quickly. I pushed Ashwa toward the den.
Just as we reached the entrance, two medicine men that I recognized from the tribe came out to take Ashwa inside. I thanked them and then turned to face the enemy. Kovo was at my side and I felt invincible.
That feeling was short lived when an arrow came from behind and hit me in the back. I fell forward to the ground, feeling my face hit the dirt. That last thing I heard, was Ashwa's scream rip through the fog that was ascending in my mind. The last thing I saw was the stag that I knew all these years turn into a man and race after the person that had shot me. Someone was pulling me back into the den and I saw Kovo look at me in fear just as my vision went black. Ashwa's screams and Kovo's howls of loss echoed in my brain and then, nothing.