War of Carnatia

1

I ran through a forest of oranges, reds and yellows. The wind was warm and filled with the fragrance of leaves. I could see my destination ahead, my safe haven. I picked up speed and could feel my boots pounding over the forest floor, cracking branches and crushing leaves with each step.
I crashed through the tree line into a clearing and spun to see my pursuers. Thundering hooves advanced toward me, knights pulling back arrows tipped with poison at the ready. This was going to be my end.
Their mutant dogs struggled at the ends of their chains, trying to get to me. I could see the sharp canine teeth dripping with drool in their open mouths. Menacing barks and growls vibrated in my ears and I waited for them to be released. I could feel the sweat beading on my back and my heart was thundering in my chest. There was no way out from here.
Suddenly behind me I heard something crashing over the forest floor, getting closer to the clearing. As the sound crept closer behind me, I watched the look on my pursuers faces turn into expressions of awe and almost horror. I turned to see a herd of creatures of different shapes and sizes stepping out of the trees. I smiled at Heath, the leader. The look on his face told me that even if he didn’t like that I had taken the throne, he would still have my back no matter what. My father, the King of Carnatia was killed a year ago during the war between Carnatia and Umbra and my mother was taken hostage, it was now my responsibility to take his place and finish this war.
About thirteen years before I was born, my grandfather, the founder of Carnatia, was a thriving King. He had the love of his people and he was a generous man who helped his kingdom in any way he could. Everyone called him Edgar the Humble because he acted in a manner that made everyone feel as if he was their best friend. No one disliked him until Lazarus, a young orphaned thief, became envious of how my grandfather was treated. He wanted the power of Carnatia as his own so he began recruiting followers and found his own Kingdom, Umbra.
At first the two Kingdom’s lived with no battles but, unbeknownst to my grandfather, Lazarus was planning to overthrow my grandfather’s power to combine the two Kingdoms where he would rule. He took the time to befriend my grandfather, to gain his trust before he stabbed him in the back, literally. My father was on his way back from his hunting trip in the Luniswood forest when he received the news. At only twenty two, he took my grandfather’s place as King and the desolation of war spread across the land like a stubborn weed.
After two years the fighting decreased but the war was not over. For six years there would not be another battle and it almost seemed as if the war would never resume. My father met my mother, a duchess from the Kingdom of Nookson, when she was twenty one and they were married just before the war reared its ugly head.
Another two years of fighting caused both Carnatia and Umbra to suffer drastically. The fighting once again decreased for another three years. On the day the battle finally resumed, my mother went into labor with me. My father reluctantly left my mother and I to lead his army into battle. It was a long hard fight and my father was wounded significantly the second day. His knee was dislocated when he jumped off of his horse and landed in a trench. He was brought back to the castle and his Military advisor, William Thorn took his place on the battlefield, giving orders to the soldiers to keep their army moving forward.
The fighting seemed to be the worst during this time than any of the other battle. There were many more casualties and more destruction as the Umbran army penetrated the woods just outside of the Carnatia castle. It was the closest they had ever come to taking over the castle and my father feared that it wouldn’t be long before the wall surrounding the castle would crumble to the ground and the battle would be over.
The disastrous outcome was almost upon us when the creatures of forest began fighting on our side. My father had never wanted to bring them into the war because he knew they were important to the realm. He wanted peace for everyone and this is why the creatures were on his side. They respected my father because he respected them. As the battle went on for ten years, the creatures remained as part of the Carnatian army, helping as much as they could. There were many losses but Heath never faltered his loyalty to my father. Now, eight years later after my father was killed in battle, Heath proved he was still loyal to Carnatia by saving me from the Umbran army.
“Don’t move another muscle.” Heath’s voice echoed around the clearing.
My pursuers stood still, watching the band of creatures staring them down. I had a feeling this was going to be the worst battle yet.
Lazarus, being the rebel he always was, stepped out of the front line of his army. He slid off his horse and slowly walked toward me. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the creatures tense up with each step Lazarus took. They were ready to defend me and I silently thanked them all and then focused on Lazarus's movements.
"Page, you're just like your father. Smart, witty, and stupid. Do you really think you can stop me?" He laughed, watching me with a keen eye.
"I don't think I can, I know I can."
"We'll just have to see about that." He grinned.
Before I realized what was happening the Umbran army charged from behind Lazarus. My eyes widened to the size of saucers and I watched my enemy run full force at me. Behind me, Heath whistled and the creature ran around me to intercept the on coming stampede. I didn't know what to do, but I knew I had to move.
At the last second before the two armies merged together, I let out a scream that was almost sonic. Birds flew from the trees near by and all was silent. Then as if coming out if a slow motion scene in a movie, the sound reverberated all around us. Swords hitting swords, blood painting the grass red, like it belonged in the Red Queen's courtyard, creatures growled and shrieked in anger and fear.
Chaos erupted around me, causing me to freeze in my tracks. I didn’t know where to start, but my confusion was short lived when a soldier ran toward me wielding a spear. The memories of my training filled my head and the first thing I did was breath. I had to concentrate to make this work.
Just as the soldier reached me, I spun around my right shoulder ending up behind him. As I did so, I pulled out my sword and stabbed him in the back. He dropped to the ground without another movement. I was victorious, but before I could celebrate another soldier came after me. Our swords hit with a spark and I moved just before he did, knowing his moves before they were made. This is what my father trained me for before he died. He wanted me to be able to defend myself because he knew it wouldn’t be long before I was involved in the war.
I hit the second soldier in the chest and he went down like a ton of bricks. In front of me, all the creatures were clearing a path toward Lazarus. This was my chance. I started running toward him when someone picked me up and sat me on the back of a horse. It was Heath. He knew what this moment meant and was ready to help me succeed.
We ran down the middle of the field to where Lazarus stood, watching the chaos that overtook the field. When he saw us coming, an evil grin spread across his face and he knew what was coming. I slid off of Heath’s back and ran at him, jabbing my sword as soon as I was close enough. I nicked his bicep but he seemed to not notice. His sidestepped the opposite way and spun behind me, just as I had done to one of his soldiers. He was behind me ready to attack when I spun and collided my sword with his. I could see the frustrated look on his face as he realized that this fight wasn’t going to be as easy as he thought. I smirked and smacked his sword with mine again. All around me, I could hear the sounds of a battle carrying on. I could see Heath standing near by, taking out any soldier that came to try to help Lazarus. Behind Heath, I could see followers from each side laying dead in the red painted grass and something snapped in me. This was going to end, now.
I focused back on Lazarus and ran full force at him with my sword aimed for his heart. He intercepted me and knocked me to the ground. I couldn’t breath and lights dance across my vision. I could hear him laughing as he stepped up to stand over me.
“I told you, you wouldn’t be able to defeat me.” I saw his sword rise over his head and felt a pop and an intense pain as it came down on my left shoulder. I screamed out over the sounds of the battle.
Lazarus’s laugh was close to my ear. “You’re done. This battle is over and the Kingdoms are mine.”
He raised his sword again. I watched him breathe in with victory as he held his sword above his head. My mind went to my father. I had let him down. I had let everyone down. Some Queen I was, I couldn’t even hold my own in a battle. I couldn’t even succeed at something I had trained my whole life for. I took a ragged breath in and accepted my fate. This was going to be my end and there was nothing I could do about it.
I looked at Lazarus’s face as he started to bring his sword down straight toward my heart. My right hand brushed the hilt of my sword and my survival instincts kicked in at the last second. My hand closed tightly around my sword and I swung up. It hit Lazarus in the stomach, knocking him backwards and giving me just enough to stand and regain my footing. While he was still bent over, clutching his stomach, I hit him the nose with the heel of my sword. He dropped his sword to clutch at his nose, exposing his chest and abdomen. Perfect.
I took one deep breath and went in for the kill. My sword sunk into his chest and his hands dropped from his face. I pulled my sword out and backed up, watching him sink to his knees. The blood from his nose dripped down and blended in with the blood pouring from his chest. The battlefield was dead silent as Lazarus took his last breath and fell face forward on the ground.
There was no more sound, as if it had been drained from the world. I looked up to see all participants standing as still as statues watching me. My breath was still coming fast from the pain in my shoulder and blood dripped down my arm. I sheathed my sword and cradled my left arm to my body. Heath galloped up and helped me onto his back, careful not to jostle my arm. As we rode through the middle of the battlefield, cheers ripped through the air from both sides. I smiled as I leaned against Heath’s shoulder, tired from the blood loss. It was finally over.
“I’m so proud of you, Page.” I heard my father’s voice in my mind just before my world was enveloped by a shadow.