Status: completed one shot

Spark

2/1.

"See what?"

The words echoed in my ear and throbbed in my skull. Was this supposed to happen? Had this ever happened to anyone except for me, ever? I was unsure; I wasn't sure if this was real. The light was there; did he not see it? Was I not his soulmate? My throat felt tight, and my hands, clammy. This surely had to be a mistake. Maybe he needed glasses -- maybe he was blind -- maybe --

"I'm going to be late for work, kid," Jack's voice was impatient, and I shook my head. It took everything in me not to cry. This was my soulmate. How was I not his? "Wait," I said, my hand going up to tug on the edge of his blazer. I was not going to be alone forever. "Are you telling me that you don't see the yellow light?"

Now, Jack was looking at me like I was crazy. I was not crazy. I was just desperate to not stay alone for the rest of my life - I was hardly okay alone now, I wasn't sure what I would do if I was to stay alone for the rest of my life. My skin was thick, but this was breaking it. This couldn't be happening. Maybe he was pranking me. I was convinced this was all a joke.

"What yellow light?"

He was not made for me.

"I'm sorry for bothering you."

Slowly, I stepped away, and ducked my head down. Jack went on his way, just Jack; I stayed where I was; just Alex, and alone. The rest of New York City bustled around me. People moved by in floods of greys and blues and browns and blacks while I stood here, alone, and in color. Isolated by fate for sure; Jack would go on to meet his soulmate.

I would be here - a hopeless romantic without the latter of the phrase.
♠ ♠ ♠
*tyler joseph voice* i am evil to the core