Status: Updated Weekly

Lucidicy

CH 7: Perfect Timing

It’s a lonely walk to work this morning, even lonelier when I thought about it. I finally arrived at the shop and unlocked the front door, the jingling bell went off. I locked the door behind me so I could get ready for the day. Once that was done I was able to open up. Business was slow, I was literally by myself for a good two hours. Since it usually isn’t a busy day we just have one person on, I can run the front and cook. I could only think of the dream I had about Leland last night…that is until angry donut lady had returned. I was burning a hole in her head with my eyes when I watched her sit down in Mr. Fitsimmons spot. Ten more seconds of her sitting there I was about to lose it, I bit my tongue.

“Good heavens this seat is flat as all get out, you need to replace these chairs or kick the regulars to the curb, letting them sit here all day when they’ve only paid for a cup of coffee.” she spat.

“GET OUT.” I snapped. I must have yelled louder than I thought, I startled her.

“Excuse me?”

“YOU DON’T DESERVE TO SIT THERE.” I raved. I was livid.

“I’m a paying customer! Respect me.” she replied.

“I don’t care, you’re a mean old bitch and I don’t want you here, get out of my shop.”

She made a sound of distaste and stood up, hopefully that’s the last I’ll see of her. For hours I hoped that Leland would walk in here and get a doughnut or a sandwich. I just want to see his face, maybe get up the courage to talk to him without sounding like a stuttering idiot. For some reason the thought of him is comforting, because I’m already used to him from being around in my head and dreams. Unfortunately he didn’t show, and that made me fear he left town.
I thought about closing early since we had a whopping five customers all day. So I did, my mom would be bent but who says I can’t close early? She’s never here but one day a week, I technically run this place top to bottom. I wasn’t going straight home. I’ll just casually walk by the Grand Masters Hotel, there is a shop next door to it I like to go into. I’ll use it as an excuse in case Leland spots me. I came around the corner, my heart already sank and I wasn’t even there yet. I don’t see the covered bike. I mustered my way past the hotel glancing in the doors. There was nothing unusual.

*Ring Ring* my phone went off, without hesitation I answered.

“Hello?”

“Sue Ellen can you do a big favor for me?” I heard my moms voice over the phone.

“I guess.” I kicked a rogue icicle on the ground.

“Will you go feed Butter and take him out please?” she asked me. Butter is my moms pet Pug, he rarely sees the light of day. I never should have bought him for her. I bought him in hopes to get her mind off dad, yet she’s over at the hospital with dad and Butter is at home most of the time.

“I will.” I told her.

“Thank you.”

I hung up shortly after, I’ve got to make my way back to the shop. That’s where she lives, in the apartment above the shop. My dad always said it was the best place to live because he could always hear the intruders if there was any. Not to mention he said it made the house smell like donuts. I scaled the iron stairs on the side of the building, I had my own key to her house. Butter greeted me at the door panting and snorting with big bug eyes.

“Well hello BUTTER!” I cooed at him in a baby voice. I pet the top of his head when he jumped up.

“Do you want to go outside?!” I asked him excitedly. That made him go crazy spinning around and all. His leash hung on the coat rack next to the door. I clipped his collar to it and we were off down the stairs outside. He had to pee on absolutely everything when we walked around the block. He took a dump in front of the flower shop, which I only covered up with snow because I didn’t have a bag.

I felt bad for Butter, I’d be home more to take care of him. The crunching sound of dog food in his little mouth echoed slightly. He dug around in his bowl until there was nothing left. When I was getting ready to leave he looked at me with sad eyes. I guess I could take him home with me. I gathered his food and doggy bed along with his bowls. Into a garbage bag they went I slung it over my shoulder and had him by leash in my other hand.
It started to get dark out now and even colder. I’m not going to make Butter walk, he barely lasted walking around the block the first time, his little feet get cold. He kept my armpit warm since I tucked him under there. I was nearly home when Butter started barking his little head off at the horse in the pasture across the street.

“Shut up Butter.” I scolded.

Soon my feet came out from under me, with a thud on my back the wind was knocked out of me. DAMN ICE. Butter was already up and running across the street to the horse behind the barbed wire fence. It was hard for me to get up because I couldn’t breathe, I tried calling for Butters name but nothing came out. He then squeezed his way under the fence. That’s when I really freaked out and got up catching my breath.

“Butter you little shit!” I cursed. I scaled the fence by using my hands on a wooden post. Butter was chasing the damn startled horse around the pasture. I screamed his name trying to catch him without being trampled. The horse made a brake for the trees since I was in on the chase now too, Butter and I were startling it further. I chased them through the small grove, I knew there had to be a ditch or small stream near with this crop of trees. There was snow as deep past my ankles, deep enough to slow Butter down and for me to catch him. The horse panted, the snow crunched beneath its hooves as it ran away. With Butter safe in my arms I tried to catch my breath.

There was an odd sound, I held my breath. It sounded like someone was talking, or singing? It came from behind the giant hay bale stack passed the trees. I peeked atop the small hill I walked up at the end of the little forest. I could see orange flickering light by the hay bales. Three hooded figures stood around a fire, they looked down at it. One of them had their hand up in the air, they were saying something. I was too far to understand. Just then the one with their hand in the air suddenly stopped and looked up straight at me. The other two followed their gaze as well. All three of them were looking at me, I could feel it. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. The one that had his hand in the air said something as his arm fell to his side, that’s when the other two started for me. Time to go, I stood up running down the small hill in the snow. I looked behind me only for a moment, which was a terrible mistake. I tripped over a fallen tree covered in snow, Butter flew into a snow patch, and I however landed straight on my face on a patch of ice. The feeling of my nose draining down my face and into my mouth hit me, I could taste the blood. I tried picking up Butter, once I had him in my arms again I stood up. Thinking of nothing but running I broke through the trees and to the flatter pasture, I hurdled the fence like a champion.
The road was in sight, light shed into my eyes from a distance. I could hear the roar of an engine, a motorcycle engine in fact. It came closer as it drove up the road. All I could do is run out onto the road in hopes of help. They slammed on their brakes, their front headlight blinding me, I had closed my eyes.

“Help me please!” I pleaded running around to the side of the bike. It was none other than Leland. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad it’s him but there are people chasing me.

“The hell are you doing out in the middle of the road?” Leland asked in a serious tone turning his bike off and swinging his leg over to stand up.

“They’re chasing me!” I sort of wedged my way behind his arm and shoulder looking out at the pasture.

“Who was chasing you?”

“I don’t know, three men in hoods they’re over there!” I pointed at the trees. He took a step forward before I grabbed his arm “NO DON’T.” I pleaded. He turned to me.

“Did they do this to you?” he reached out to me, when his fingertips touched my cheek I thought my knees would buckle. He looked over my bloodied up nose and chin. I shook my head. He looked to the trees.

“What were you doing in there?” he nodded at the trees.

“Chasing…Butter” I looked down at my now panting Pug. A pair of headlights started coming up the road.

“You should let me take you home at least, or call the police.” he suggested. My eyes bugged at him. The car passed us honking their horn.

“No police, they wouldn’t care enough to look into it.” I told him. It was true, I remember years ago the neighbor lady went missing. She was old and decrepit, my dad and I worried she might have had a stroke or something in her house, we didn’t have a key to check on her. It took the police three hours to get there, the police station is two blocks away for Gods sake. I looked at the bike, then back at Leland.

“Don’t trust me?” he asked.

“No no I do” I admitted “It’s just…”

“The bike?” he asked. I nodded my head.

“I’ve got a helmet, don’t want blood on it.” he zipped something open on the back of his bike. I only now noticed the white feather wings painted on its side under the Harley emblem. He rummaged through a bag and pulled out a small hand towel, he held it out to me.

“I –uh” I stuttered as I took it. He pulled a helmet from the leather bag. It was bright red as he held it up to show it to me. I did my best to wipe my face. How embarrassing. Without warning he held the helmet above my head and put it on me. He tightened the strap on my chin, I just stared at his bike.

“Or I can walk with my bike to your place with you, either way I’m not letting you walk home alone.” He suggested.

Image

I found myself clinging to Leland on the back of his Harley. Butter was tightly tucked in my other arm. I leaned my head against Lelands back. My teeth chattered from the cold too. The helmet felt heavy on my head, fortunately I didn’t have to wear it long. It was a very short ride, I pointed to my building as he slowed. When we made it he killed the engine.

“Wanna let go?” he turned his head to talk to me.

“Oh--yeah” I said unwrapping my arm from around him. My teeth kept chattering like crazy. He got off the bike and pulled the helmet off my head since I was holding Butter.

“Now was that so terrifying?” he raised a brow with a slight smile.

“No.” I said sheepishly getting off the bike. My teeth chittered.

“Maybe you should go inside, calm the nerves, drink something warm like hot chocolate. You like hot chocolate right?”

“Yeah,” I smiled slightly. “Do you want to come in and have some?” I suggested rather boldly.

“Nah nah,” he scratched the back of his head “I’ve got…things to do.”

“Well alright,” I tried not to sound disappointed “But will you stay a few minutes more so I can let my dog go to the bathroom?” I asked last moment in hopes to get him to stay just a while longer.

“I will.” he gave in with a smile. His smile was heart warming, I just wanted to watch him smile for whatever reason it may be. He stood around so I could let Butter walk all over the front lawn. Butter peed on every bush along the front of the house.

“Y’know most people don’t trust others as quickly as you do.” Leland said, his arms crossed.

“You haven’t given me reason not to.” I replied.

“That’s not what it’s about, it’s about the fact that we only know each other’s names and you’re inviting me to hot chocolate in your house.”

If only he knew. How do I break that to someone? Tell them hey I dream about you, I’ve got this gut feeling to trust you, I feel like I know you yet I don’t.

“and you took me home on the back of your motorcycle.” I said.

“Touché”

A few moments passed. Butter stood next to me and looked up at me, he yawned and panted.

“I guess…I could come inside for a cup.” Leland sniffled.

I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W by My Chemical Romance
Extra chapter this week!