Status: Updated Weekly

Lucidicy

CH 9: It's Complicated

The clock was nearing five I debated over what to text Leland, I should probably just start with telling him that it’s me.

“Hey Leland, it’s Sue Ellen”

About five minutes later after I started wiping all the tables in the shop my phone buzzed. I eagerly skipped over to the counter and picked it up.

“Hello, how’s life sitting in that shop all by yourself?” he texted.

“Boring”

“So are funerals” he texted right back.

“Do you want to hang out tonight?” I texted daringly.

“I’d like to but I’m tied up for the night, I’m sorry”

“No worries” I replied.

So much for that, he says he’s busy though so I can’t be too upset. I wonder what he’s doing, probably having a drab dinner for the funeral. I never understood that, going out to dinner after a funeral as if to celebrate. Since I had no reason to be out tonight, I just stayed until closing time, the actual closing time. It was nice remembering I drove to work today, I don’t have to walk in the cold.
I expected Krista to be in bed when I got home. She was lounging on the couch with a wine glass in her hand. She looked upset.

“Hey.” I told her as I pick up Butter’s leash, he was spinning around at my feet.

“Ben broke up with me.” her voice cracked.

“I didn’t know you were together again.” I told her honestly.

“It’s complicated.”

I hate the “It’s complicated” crap. It’s not complicated, he just wants sex and you want a relationship is what I wanted to tell her. Last break up they had was because they cheated on each other. Frankly I didn’t want to listen to her bitch and moan about it.

“How’s about we watch a movie, I’ve got ice cream in the freezer we can polish off.” I suggested just to be nice.

“That’d be FUN.” she sat up. I could tell she was a bit tipsy from the wine.

I took Butter out for a walk then returned, I put in Princess Bride for Krista and I. The one great thing about working at my parents shop is the great ice cream I take home. At the part where princess Buttercup and Westley were walking through the Fire Swamp Krista decided to start a conversation.

“I saw that your guy spent the night last night.”

“Oh, his motorcycle broke down.” I told her.

“Sure.”

“It’s still out there,” I replied. “He slept on the couch anyway.”

“Slept on the couch? Sue Ellen you need to take this opportunity and get in his pants, bring him to your bed.”

“I don’t want to get in his pants…well I do but it’s not like that.” I backed myself into a corner stating that.

“So you do want to sleep with him?”

“It’s not like you think, he’s different. Plus I don’t just give it away, I haven’t even gave it away.”

“This is your opportunity to lose it.”

“I haven’t even kissed him, he probably doesn’t think about me.”

“Sue Ellen, a guy like that doesn’t just hang out with you for your parent’s donut shop. Remember you also told me he gave you a five dollar tip for the hell of it.”

She did have a point.

“Either way you’re in better luck than I am.” she took a sip of wine.

“That’s because you need to meet someone new, or at least not date for a while. You don’t need to have a boyfriend right this second.” I told her honestly.

Krista fell asleep before the movie was over. I left her on the couch since she’s such a heavy sleeper on alcohol and I’m not going to carry her. Butter followed me to my room, I set him on my bed. My mom must not want him that badly, just this morning she was screaming at me over the phone about him. I settled into my bed looking over my phone, I reread the small conversation I had with Leland. Candy Crush consumed me after that.

*Ding Dong*

Was that the doorbell or my game?

*Ding Dong*

Butter muffled a bark into my comforter where he was curled up. I’m not answering it, it’s like two in the morning.

*Ding Dong Ding Dong Ding Dong*

I groaned and got up. They kept ringing the doorbell endlessly as I ran through the house in the dark trying to switch on lights. I turned on the living room lights, Krista was on the couch still she was unfazed. I looked at her with disbelief walking to the front door, the doorbell was still ringing by the way.

“ALRIGHT I’M OPENING THE DOOR!” I raised my voice unlocking the deadbolt. I cracked the door.

LELAND was leaning against the frame beaten to a bloody pulp. His lips bled, his cheek and left eye starting to bruise. He could barely stand, he wore a slim fitting gray suit but splattered with his own blood.

“Hey.” he said with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: Wild Thing by The Troggs