Enormous Green Rage Monster

Enormous Green Rage Monster

Enormous, Green Rage Monster
A/N: Post/during-Avengers. But I won’t rewrite existing scenes and modify them to fit the story. You know what happened in the movie. Use your imagination.

It’s been about six months since you joined S.H.I.E.L.D. and you’ve loved it so far. The dangerous adrenaline rush you get from going on a mission to stop a crazy villain thrills you, and you always come back for more. It gets a bit frightening at times, taking down bad guys and risking your life to save the good guys, but the reward of a job well done and a little bit more peace in the world at the end of the day is well worth the risk.
In your six months of being on the team, you’ve become great friends with Phil Coulson and Maria Hill. Director Fury still terrifies you on most occasions, but you’ve learned that as long as you follow his orders, he’s relatively nice.
You’ve heard the other agents as well as Director Fury discuss the Avengers Initiative, but no one will tell you much other than that it’s just an idea in case the world is under attack. This disturbs you, because you’re part of the team and feel that you deserve to know if the company you work for is planning some huge get-together with Earth’s mightiest heroes. But alas, the most information you get is from Phil, who is under orders from Fury not to discuss it further.
But soon enough, your wish comes true. Not the way you wished it, of course, but the main point of your wish comes true. S.H.I.E.L.D. has received reports of an inhuman threat, and now their only hope is recruiting the Avengers. You finally get to find out the details about the Initiative and learn who the recruits are. Your attention is stolen when you find the files on Dr. Bruce Banner. You’ve read every science blog he’s ever written and, being an ex-science major yourself, he’s become a kind of celebrity crush for you.

Since you’re new, Fury has decided to keep you behind while he sends his other agents to recruit the Avengers. You pouted upon hearing the news but agreed to stay on the Helicarrier like a good agent.
You sigh to yourself as you wait, utterly bored. You’ve taken to re-reading the Avenger recruit files over and over, inadvertently memorizing them from the constant reading. You’re mostly attracted to Bruce’s file, nibbling your lip as you think about actually meeting him. You teach yourself to play it cool, as though he’s just a comrade.
Your head perks up as you hear voices and footsteps returning to the Helicarrier. You stand and smooth out your suit, brushing stray strands of hair from your face and tucking them behind your ears. You walk to the entrance of the Helicarrier and greet Director Fury as well as his guests.
“This is our newest agent, (f/n)(l/n),” Fury introduces.
“Pleased to meet you,” you greet with a smile. Fury leads the new team inside with Phil and Maria in tow. You stand aside and watch them walk by, trying your hardest not to stare at Bruce. Dr. Banner, you scold yourself mentally. You haven’t even officially met him. You have to think of him as Dr. Banner!
You follow your current and new colleagues inside and await Fury’s orders. He gathers everyone around a large table, though Maria and Phil choose to stand to the side. You stand with them, unsure of what to do with yourself as you’ve never been in this situation before.
Fury begins explaining the Avengers Initiative and the alien threat that caused Fury to recruit them. The large blonde man, Thor (you remember him from the fiasco in New Mexico. You hadn’t been recruited to help, but you watched the news for days to keep up with Phil) seems very offended at how Fury speaks of this alien intruder. You watch him, confused, wondering what ties he has. All you know about Thor is what you saw on the news, which only tells you that he’s from another world and that he’s extremely powerful with that hammer of his.
“Loki is beyond reason,” Thor says, “but he is my brother.”
Your eyes widen slightly. You hadn’t been informed of that. You’d seen very little about Loki on TV – S.H.I.E.L.D. likes to keep it all hush-hush.
You continue watching as the Avengers and Fury discuss the threat and what to do about it. You smile as you watch Phil stare at Captain America, as though he were a high school girl staring at her crush. It made you giggle on the inside, but you kept a professional façade. Maria stood silently, arms crossed, watching her colleagues.
Fury eventually gives everyone an assignment like a school teacher with a class project. The group breaks up, going their separate ways.
“Agent (l/n),” Fury addresses you.
“Yes, sir?” you reply.
“I want you to work with Dr. Banner on detecting the Tessaract. Your scientific background should be of help to us,” Fury explains. You nod, accepting your assignment professionally.
“Yes, sir.”

You approach Dr. Banner’s lab and choose to knock politely on the door frame, though the door is wide open.
“Come in,” Bruce calls gently. You slowly step in, looking about the room, taking in all of Bruce’s gadgets and equipment.
“Anything I can help you with?” Bruce asks, noticing your wandering eye.
“I should be asking you that,” you say. “Fury ordered me to help you with locating the Tessaract.
“Do you have any knowledge of science?” Bruce asks, his eyes scanning the screen before him.
“I graduated from (college) before I joined S.H.I.E.L.D.,” you explain.
“How’d you go from a science major to an agent?” Bruce questions.
You laugh nervously, glancing at the floor. “Shortly before my graduation, there was a mishap in my chemistry class. My ingredients got mixed up and exploded and I almost burned down the entire hall.”
Bruce laughs a friendly, non-judgmental laugh. “So why’d you join S.H.I.E.L.D.?”
“They found me,” you explain, moving to stand beside the doctor. When he doesn’t move away, you continue. “Shortly after my graduation, I inadvertently got mixed up with some criminal that they were after. They saw that I could hold my own in a fight and asked about my background. They thought my scientific knowledge might be of use in future cases and offered me to join. I had nothing else since I hadn’t chosen a career path yet, so I accepted.”
“You’re a science major with no career path?” Bruce questions.
You shrug. “I’ve always loved science; I just wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with that love.”
Bruce smiles at you and directs your attention to the screen he’s viewing. He points to the glowing blue cube in the center. “That’s the Tessaract.”
“It looks much cooler than Fury described,” you note in awe. It’s a glowing blue cube. Who wouldn’t want to steal it?!

Hours pass without notice as you and Bruce work together to locate the Tessaract. You’ve been laughing and joking for most of that time, easing into a beautiful new friendship and growing steadily more comfortable with one another. By the time you two were done and decided to call it a night, it was somewhere around two A.M.
“I suppose I should head to bed,” you say, offering Bruce a shy smile and turning towards the door.
“I should, too,” he agrees. “We’re gonna need our energy to take Loki on.”
You nod as Bruce walks closer to you. He stands in front of you and smiles, pressing a kiss to your cheek. “Goodnight, (f/n).”
A blush claims your cheeks as you smile back. “Goodnight, Bruce.”

By the time the Avengers have to suit up and prepare to take Loki down, you and Bruce became very close friends. You talk about pretty much everything and you’ve spent nearly every second together, in and out of the lab.
You’re scared of the upcoming fight, but you know that your job is to stay on the Helicarrier with Agent Hill and keep an eye on the team from the inside.
You’re on one of the lower decks with Natasha Romanoff and Bruce when something crashes into the Helicarrier, knocking everything around, including the three of you. You all fall to the ground, and as you push yourself up and ask Bruce if he’s alright, you notice a green tint to parts of his skin. Your eyes widen as you realize that he’s beginning to Hulk out, and that you’ve never experienced it. You’ve heard the stories, but you’ve never even seen photos of his Hulk form.
You scramble to stand, hoping to calm him down. “Bruce!” you call to him, causing him to turn his angry gaze to your rather tiny figure. You turn your head to find Natasha, noticing that her leg is caught under a pole. You run to her, trying to free her foot. As you push and shove against the pole, trying to pull the Black Widow from her trap, Bruce completely transforms and the Hulk roars loudly, making you jump. You turn back to face him, unable to stop the fear creeping across your face. The Hulk is quite terrifying. You know that Bruce is in there, but he’s so far away. As you stare up at him in fear, you swear you see remorse flash in his eyes, as though Bruce is in there, not wanting to hurt you.
Hulk roars again and storms away, looking for something to destroy. You can hear him rumbling with Thor as you finally help Natasha break free. Natasha goes outside to join the fight while you make your way back to the upper decks to watch the screens with Maria. She’s deeply mourning Phil’s death, but she keeps a professional attitude as she watches her surroundings. You offer her comfort and try to console her, keeping an eye on the battle that your team seems to be losing.

When all is said and done and the battle has finally been won in your favor, Loki and Thor return to Asgard and the other Avengers go their separate ways. You’re outside to wish them farewell, Bruce being the one to leave last as he wants to speak with you.
“So, (f/n)… I’m sorry if the Other Guy scared you,” he says awkwardly.
“It’s fine, really,” you insist. “I just wasn’t prepared. I’ve heard the stories but I hadn’t even seen pictures, so I didn’t know what to think.”
“So are we still friends?” he questions.
“Of course we are!” you smile.
“I have a question for you, then,” he says, taking a step closer to you.
Your cheeks grow hot as the distance diminishes. You look up at him shyly. “And what’s that?”
He presses his lips to yours gently. One hand finds its way to yours while the other cups your cheek. Your eyes widen before fluttering closed, returning the kiss.
He smiles as he pulls away. “Would you like to be more than friends?”