Rescue Me

Rescue Me

Rescue Me
A/N: Post-Avengers.

You’re walking down the streets of Manhattan, eyes closed contentedly as the sounds of your favorite song flow through your headphones into your ears. You completely ignore the roar of nearby engines and the chatter of rushing people. You’re in your own little world, and you like it that way.
You open your eyes as you near the end of the sidewalk, preferring not to be flattened like a pancake by cross traffic. You tap the crosswalk button with your fist and lean against the post as you wait for the light to change. You scan your eyes across the intersection, smiling yourself as you take in the New York sights. People are much more cautious now after Loki’s alien attack, but lives have returned to normal and with Christmas soon approaching, people are bustling through the streets to finalize their shopping and party-planning.
The light you’re waiting for changes and the green crosswalk symbol illuminates. As you turn your head to look back across the street and begin walking, your heart skips a beat. You hadn’t realized Stark Tower was so close, and you didn’t expect to see the man who saved your life standing in front of it. Your legs cease working and you stand frozen in the street. You gaze across the road at the man chatting with his fellow Avengers and your mind wanders back to that day.

Citizens are running and screaming in terror as unidentified alien monsters crash into buildings and throw cars like baseballs. You’re one of the screaming citizens, running through the highly unsafe streets of Manhattan in search of undestroyed shelter. You turn a seemingly empty corner and rest a hand on the unbroken wall of an old building, bending over slightly to rest your other hand on your knee and attempt to catch your breath. Your chest is heavy with fear and you close your eyes for just a moment.
Bad idea.
As soon as your guard is down, one of the alien monsters decides to pick you up and hold you hostage. You scream as loud as you can, believing this to be your inevitable doom. You’re just a mortal; no fame, no powers, no special mark on society. The Avengers wouldn’t halt their world-saving battle just for you. What’s your singular life against a thousand others?
The alien decides to land on the roof of the building you were resting against and holds you out, dangling you over the roof. You have no way of catching yourself if it lets you go… You’re too far from the edge to grab hold, and the only thing below you is cold hard concrete.
You don’t even bother to scream as the monster opens its clutch and releases its hold on you. You squeeze your eyes shut and cross your arms over your chest, awaiting the crash and burn of plummeting to the ground.
You suddenly stop against a force stronger than you, but it’s not the sidewalk. Opening one eye you look up to find the face of your savior – one of the Avengers. You open both eyes and blush upon realizing that he’s holding you close bridal style. You look around and notice that you’re both in the air. Looking down you see that he’s confiscated one of the alien air machines (1) and has used it to save you from your death.
“Thank you…” you mumble out as the Avenger known as Hawkeye lands the machine and sets you gently on the ground.
“Anytime,” he replies with a smirk before riding back into the air and attacking more aliens.
You can’t help but stare after him in awe. Your chest bubbles with warmth as a smile creeps across your face. An Avenger just went out of his way to save you.

You’re snapped out of your memory by the loud honking of cars trying to drive around you.
“Hey, lady!” one angry man yells. “Get outta the road!”
“Move it, woman!” another calls. “You’re blocking traffic!”
Embarrassed, you look at the ground as you run across the street. You spare one glance towards the Tower as you reach the sidewalk, your face beaming with embarrassed heat as you see that your savior is looking right at you. You look back to the ground – there’s no way he still remembers.
“Hey,” a soft, deep voice calls. You hear footsteps approaching you and you look up shyly.
“I remember you,” he says with a soft smile. “I saved you from a Chitauri creep.”
Blushing more, you nod.
“I saved a lot of people that day, but none of them were so accepting of their potential fate. They all screamed and flailed – makes it really hard to rescue someone if they won’t stop moving.”
Biting your lip, you offer a small smile. “I just didn’t think I’d make it if the monster dropped me off that ledge… You were all busy fighting Loki and the rest of his army, and there was nothing for me to catch myself on…”
“I liked saving you,” he admits. “You seemed grateful, but you didn’t hang all over me like a lovesick puppy. You’re a good damsel in distress.” He chuckles.
You give a small giggle. “Thanks, I think.”
“What’s your name?”
“Macey.”
“Beautiful,” he smiles. “Just like you.”
If your face could possibly heat up anymore, it would now.
“If you’re not too busy blocking traffic in the middle of an intersection,” he smirks, “could I buy you a cup of coffee?”
Looking up at your savior and Avenger crush, you nod. “That sounds nice.”
He smiles and offers you a hand, which you hesitantly take as he leads you to a nearby café.

*One Year Later*
You smile to yourself as you stand in front of the bathroom mirror, adding the finishing touches to your hair. You’ve curled your (h/l) (h/c) hair, letting it fall on your shoulders elegantly. You’ve applied just enough makeup to accent your eyes and lips, and you’re wearing the most beautiful (f/c) dress you’ve ever seen. Your boyfriend Clint had picked it out specially for you, and it fit you perfectly. It has a sweetheart neckline with thin straps, it’s form-fitting from your chest to your hips, and the skirt flows elegantly to your feet. Its base layer is a beautiful (f/c) and it has a layer of lighter (f/c) lace on top that sparkles in the right light.
You’re strapping on your high-heeled strappy sandals when your boyfriend knocks on the bathroom door. “You almost ready, babe?”
“Ready,” you call out, unlocking the door so he can open it.
His jaw nearly drops to the floor. “You look stunning.”
You giggle. “Thank you, love.”
He smiles and offers his arm to you, causing you to smile and link your arm in his.
“Shall we?”
You nod.

You bounce your leg absent-mindedly with anticipation. Clint refuses to tell you where he’s taking you for your one-year anniversary.
“I don’t even get a hint?” you whine playfully.
Clint chuckles. “You’ll know it when you see it.”
“That’s not a hint,” you pout.
“Close your eyes,” he instructs. You raise a brow and assume that it won’t be much of a surprise if you see where he parks the car, so you comply. You even cover your eyes with your hands so he doesn’t worry about you peeking.
He steps out of the car and walks around it to open your door and help you out. You drop one hand from your eyes and lace your fingers with his, letting him lead you to your destination.
“Alright, babe,” he says, stopping. “Open your eyes.”
You drop your other hand and slowly open your eyes, which widen at the sight in front of you. You’re standing in front of the café where you became his girlfriend.
“Oh, Clint…” you breathe in awe.
He smiles and leads you inside, glad to find your table empty. The same table you sat at when he asked you out.
You take your seat just as you had a year ago, smiling all the while. Clint goes up to the counter and orders your favorite drink and a (f/f) muffin. He soon returns with your treats and sits across from you.
“This is great, Clint,” you smile, taking a sip of your coffee.
“I was thinking we could catch a movie after this, maybe a late dinner,” he tells you, sipping his own coffee.
“Sounds wonderful.”
He smiles and leans across the table, one hand reaching out to gently cup your face.
You lean into his hand and lean forward as well, meeting his lips with yours.
“Happy anniversary, Macey,” he whispers against your lips.
You smile and return the sentiment, resting your forehead against his.

(1) That thing that Natasha rides when she jumps off Captain’s shield and attacks the alien…