Lovers Reunited

Lovers Reunited

Lovers Reunited
A/N: During Thor: The Dark World.
I apologize that the beginning is so sad. It just… happened.
Also, this depicts a very repentant Loki just wanting to be with you. So it’s a little OOC, especially compared to the movie, but bear with me.

You sigh as you sit on the edge of your bed, head hanging down limply. It’s been a year since the incident and you still have to drag yourself out of bed to face the world every morning. Everyone told you it would get easier, but it just hasn’t. You’re starting to believe it was all a lie and that it never will.
You pull yourself to your feet and move to stand in front of your closet, running your fingers along the rows of dresses to try and choose your ensemble for today. You select a beautiful long-sleeves (f/c) dress with a corseted bodice and white trim. The outer skirt splits in the front, revealing a white base layer. It’s always been your favorite, though the memories attached to it make your heart ache more. It was a gift from Frigga as a means of catching her son’s attention. She always knew of Loki’s love for you and tried to help your shy butt along, urging you to flirt and dance with the young prince. She had the dress specially made to hug your figure beautifully, and the color had been chosen to accentuate your hair and eyes.
Losing her youngest son wounded the queen, but knowing that you had lost him as well wounded her more. The two of you often took walks together, reminiscing about better years or simply saying nothing at all, enjoying the beautiful spring time weather in Asgard. You found a friend and a confidant in the queen, and she treated you as her own daughter. After all, besides herself, you were Loki’s closest friend.
Before the incident…

You often try to appear happy to the rest of the kingdom, faking a smile and attending parties with the other residents, ignoring the stinging pain within your chest whenever someone speaks your lost love’s name or you happen to catch a glimpse of his old chambers.
You’ve spent many a night there, crying into the bed sheets that still smell strongly of the young prince, his musk, his cologne. A guard, Queen Frigga, even Thor has found you curled up on the emerald green sheets, gripping them for dear life, dried tears staining your cheeks even in your sleep.

This morning, after you’ve dressed in your favorite gown, as you’re on your way to the dining hall to acquire some breakfast, Queen Frigga’s head guard comes running towards you urgently.
“My lady! My lady!” he cries, coming to a halt before you.
“What is it?” you inquire tiredly. Today, so far, is one of your worse days, where you’d enjoy nothing more than curling up with a book and sulking the day away.
“There is some sort of meeting taking place in the throne room,” the guard informs you. “The Queen has required your presence.”
You nod and dismiss the guard, your brow furrowing in confusion. What would Queen Frigga need you to be present for?
You follow the guard back to the throne room and bow as you enter. “Good morning, your majesty. May I inquire as to why I-” you cut yourself off as you rise and your gaze finds the subject of the meeting. “Loki…” you breathe.
He smirks at you despite his shackles. “Hello, (y/n).”
You turn your attention back to Odin. “My lord Odin, if I may ask, what has happened? The last we heard, Loki was dead, having fallen off the Bifrost. What-”
“Enough,” Odin orders, shutting you up immediately. “This is not the Loki that courted you all those moons ago. This Loki is a monster who tried to enslave an entire realm out of childish immaturity.”
Your eyes widen and you refuse to believe that Loki, your Loki, would do such a thing. You glance at him and notice as he shifts uncomfortably, angry with Odin for being so rude to you.
“Come, child,” Frigga beckons, extending a hand towards you. You cross the large room to stand by her side, seeing the sadness and regret in her eyes. You immediately understand and your heart falls. She won’t be able to save Loki from whatever his fate may be, and you can tell from her gaze that it won’t be favorable.
“For your crimes against Midgard, you are to spend eternity in the dungeons,” Odin orders.
That’s not so bad, you think to yourself. It’s better than death.
As Loki is turned around and escorted out of the throne room, presumably towards the dungeons, Odin turns to you and Frigga. “(y/n), you may visit Loki, but there are restrictions. Queen Frigga will explain.”
“Yes, sir,” you reply with a respectful bow. “Thank you, m’lord.”

Frigga leads you out of the room and begins speaking as you walk down the hall. “You may visit Loki whenever you wish, but without me you’ll only be able to stand outside his cell and speak to him from there. If you come to me, I can cast a spell to send a hologram of you inside Loki’s cell. You’ll be able to touch him, but he won’t be able to feel it. He’ll just be able to see and speak with you.”
“I understand, m’lady. Thank you,” you nod.
“Would you like to see him now? I’m sure he’s missed you in his exile as much as you’ve missed him.”
Your eyes widen with bottled up love and the Queen giggles lightly, turning down a corridor leading to the dungeons.

“For the sake of lost time, I’ll send your hologram so you can at least touch him,” Frigga decides before placing her hands together and muttering a spell. A pure illusion of you appears inside Loki’s cell, startling him.
“(y/n)?”
“I’m here, my love,” you smile fondly, a tear sliding down your cheek from all of the emotions spiraling inside you.
“Do not cry, darling,” Loki whispers, unable to see you in any pain.
“I just cannot believe that you’re alive,” you admit, reaching a hand out to cup the prince’s face.
“I cannot believe that you still care for me,” he admits, leaning into your transparent touch.
“I never ceased caring for you, my love,” you explain, kneeling in front of him as he sits on the bed. He looks up at you, eyes full of hurt and remorse.
“How? Surely you’ve heard of what I’ve done.”
“Actually, I have not.” You move to sit beside him on the bed. “But I’m sure that whatever you’ve done couldn’t possibly be enough to extinguish my love for you.”
He sighs and rests his head in his hands, and you want nothing more than to pull him into your arms. You can, but he can’t feel it, so the act is pointless.
“I tried to rule Midgard as their king,” he says simply.
“Why?”
“Because I deserve to be king!” he shouts, causing you to jump slightly. He sighs apologetically, returning his face to his hands. “You saw how I acted when Thor was meant to be crowned King. I couldn’t let him become king so I allied with the Allfather’s number one enemy and led them into the palace to destroy the coronation. I played everyone to get Thor banished. I was King of Asgard for a mere day, and let it go to my head. When I couldn’t have Asgard, I fell off the Bifrost of my own free will and devised a plan to conquer Midgard. I had this insatiable desire to be the ruler somewhere. I felt it was my birthright, as Odin always told both Thor and myself that we were ‘born to be kings’. Then I get punished for acting upon my supposed birthright.”
“So you felt left out, because Odin lied to you, and you tried to become the king of Earth?”you summarize.
Loki nods, head still in his hands. You move to kneel in front of him, taking his hands in yours. He lifts his head just enough to meet your eyes.
“You’re not a monster, my love,” you assure him. “Sure, trying to rule Earth as their king may not have been a good idea, as it landed you in prison and paints you as a bad guy, but you had just reasons. I understand how you’ve always been in Thor’s shadow. I’ve seen it. You deserve your time in the spotlight as well. And I’ll find a way to get you out of here, to end your sentence early. Somehow.” You reach up to plant a kiss to his forehead, which he pretends to feel. “And then we’ll be together. We’ll figure this out.”
He smiles sincerely at you, full of love and understanding.
You press a kiss to his lips as a guard passes by, informing you that your visit is over. You scrunch your nose, offended that Odin thinks he can control how long you visit your lost love, but stand nonetheless. You promise to visit Loki again soon, and he knows you will.
“Goodbye, my love,” you call as you return to your body outside the cell.
He nods, silently returning the sentiment.