But I Thought...

But I Thought...

But I Thought…
A/N: So I know I said I’d try to make them gender neutral but that’s kinda hard for me cuz I always picture the reader as a girl, and in this one you go to a party so you’re all dressed up and I gave you a dress. If you’re a guy reading this, feel free to skip the clothes part and make it up yourself.

It was no secret that you and Tony had hit it off right away upon your initiation into the Avengers. He was funny and outgoing, always ready to make you laugh when your day was dark and needed brightening. To the untrained eye, one would think the two of you were dating.
And one did.
One particular Avenger fully believed that you and Tony Stark were a couple.
It was understandable, really. You could often be found with the billionaire, watching a movie together or you eating a snack while he worked on his suits. You enjoyed spending time with him, but you didn’t have a crush on him, regardless of what everyone thought. You simply enjoyed that Tony liked making you happy when no one else had time for you.
In truth, you had a crush on a different Avenger. But no one except for Tony knew that.

After some time, the Avenger with a crush on you began making himself known. He’d appear whenever you and the billionaire were hanging out, and seemed to content himself with pointing out all of the billionaire’s flaws.
One particular day, you and Tony were in the main entertainment room – you were choosing a movie for the two of you to watch and he was preparing snacks in the adjoining kitchen. Normally you’d be in charge of the snacks, but Tony’s movie interest seemed limited to only films starring half-naked supermodels. After last week’s incident, you had taken it upon yourself to choose the movie and make him get off his butt and get you food.
In the middle of your selection, Clint Barton appeared behind you, having dropped down from the vent. You jumped lightly in surprise before turning to smile up at him. “Hey, Clint.”
“Hi, (y/n). What are you doing?”
“Picking out a movie,” you replied, turning back to the collection. “Tony and I are having a movie night. You wanna join?”
Before he could stop himself, he inquired, “Why do you hang out with him so much?”
“What do you mean?” you questioned, standing up to face the archer.
“Tony. Why are you always with him? There are other people in the Tower, you know.”
With that, the archer left in a huff. He sounded genuinely upset, with confused and concerned you. You liked to think that you were friends with all of the Avengers, and Clint’s icy tone seemed directed straight at you.
You had to figure out why.

A week later, the Avengers defeated an army of inhuman foes with few or no injuries to the good guys. As a result, Tony decided to throw yet another celebratory party. Like he needed any more excuses to do so.
Hoping to catch your crush’s attention, you picked out a (f/c) corseted dress with a sweetheart neckline. The corset hugged your torso and the fabric of the skirt hugged your curves, framing your hips and rear end and flowing elegantly to the floor. It stopped just above the floor, revealing your bare toes which were strapped into high-heeled sandals.
You made your way to the party floor and smiled as the team greeted you. You made your way to the bar, ordering a (f/drink) as you looked around. Everyone was easily spotted – Tony was dancing with whatever pretty girl would have him, Steve was politely chatting up his fans, Bruce was sitting a few stools away at the bar, Thor was dancing with Jane, and Natasha was keeping an eye on everyone, making sure no laws were broken.
Well, almost everyone was easily spotted. Clint was nowhere to be found.
You sighed and sipped your drink as Tony waltzed up to the bar. “What’s up, babe?”
“Nothing, Tony,” you lied, feigning a smile at the billionaire.
“Don’t give me that,” he argued, taking a seat beside you. “You’re looking for Clint, aren’t you?”
He was the only one who knew of your crush on the archer, which caused the two of you to spend many an hour talking. Your encounters largely consisted of him trying to convince you to tell Clint your feelings and you refusing as though your life depended on it.
“Maybe…” you mumbled.
“You gotta tell him, babe,” he insisted, resting a hand on your shoulder.
“I can’t,” you replied, shaking your head.
Clint chose that moment to arrive. He made his way to the bar for a Rum and Coke, glaring at the two of you.
Tony elbowed your side, causing you to look up at him in confusion. He jerked his head towards the other side of the bar where Clint was downing his drink. You nearly choked on yours, surprised that the archer was there.
“I’ll let you two have fun,” Tony excused himself, winking at you before wandering off.
“Hey, Clint…” you greeted with a smile.
He grunted in reply.
“Are you mad at me?” you had to ask.
He grunted again.
You looked around, taking in how large the crowed had grown. You stood to grab Clint’s wrist, pleading with your eyes. “Can we talk?”
With a sigh he agreed, following you down a couple of floors to your room. Once there, you led him inside and closed the door behind you.
“Seriously,” you began, “are you mad at me?”
“Yes,” he replied, causing your face to fall. He sighed again. “Maybe. Kind of. I don’t know.”
“What does that mean?” you inquired, sitting on your bed. He sat beside you, running a hand across his face.
“I’m mad at a lot of people.”
“Like who?”
“You, Tony, myself…”
“Why?”
He turned to look at you. “Because I waited too long. I second guessed myself and now the woman I love is with another man.”
“…The woman you love?”
“Don’t you get it, (y/n)?” he breathed, facing you fully and resting his hand on yours. “I’m in love with you. I’ve been in love with you since I met you.” He looked down at his lap. “But you’re with Tony. I get that. I backed off.”
“You think I’m dating Tony?” you giggled, turning your hand to grasp his.
He looked back up at you. “Aren’t you?”
“Of course not! We’re friends and he’s funny but he’s so not my type.”
“But… you’re always with him. You always hang out and talk…”
“Exactly. We talk. That’s it,” you insisted, hesitating. “We… We talk about you, actually…”
“You talk about me?” he smirked.
“Yeah… He knew that I had a crush on you and he was constantly telling me to tell you but I was too shy…” You looked down at your own lap, a blush claiming your cheeks as you awaited his response.
A warm hand cupped your jaw, tilting your head up to meet his eyes. There was a pause before warm, chapped lips pressed against your softer ones. The hand on your jaw slid to the back of your head, pulling you closer. You shyly rested your hands in his broad chest as his other arm wrapped around your waist. Just as one of your hands slid up his chest to rest on his neck, you reluctantly pulled your lips away due to lack of air.
“I’m an idiot,” he breathed against your lips. You giggled and looked up at him.
“I’d never date Tony.”
He laughed, pecking your lips again. “Glad to hear it.”