Running Love

Running Love

Running Love
A/N: Post-Winter Soldier-ish, so he understands a bit more about modern-day New York.

You pulled your (h/l)(h/c) hair into a high ponytail (A/N: unless your hair’s too short) and connected your headphones to your iPod, slipping it into your armband. You slipped on your running shoes and left your apartment, locking the door on your way out. You adjusted your (f/c) tank top and (f/c) sports capris, walking to the end of the block. There you broke into a run, turning the corner and giving a sigh of relief as the morning breeze blew past your face.
You loved mid-morning runs. You didn’t like to get up exceptionally early, when the sun’s barely awake and the air is freezing. You prefer to wait until eight or nine in the morning, when the sun’s bright and shiny and offering a warm glow to everything the light touches (1).
You were in the middle of your run when you crossed paths with the one and only Steve Rogers. You had seen him running his own path while during your morning routine, and you always smiled at the fact that you lived in a city where you could see Captain America doing his own daily routine like a normal human being.
Which he wasn’t, but that’s beside the point.
You offered him a friendly smile as you passed, which he returned. Butterflies invaded your stomach as you continued your run. Okay, so maybe you had a crush on the Captain. A lot of girls did. And so what if he was technically old enough to be your grandfather – he was also technically still only twenty (2), just like you.

It began happening more and more often. Almost every day now, in fact. You would go for your morning run, and you’d cross paths with Steve, and you’d smile at each other like old friends and then be on your separate ways.
Well, you decided to change that.
The next morning, you did indeed find Steve again. But this time, you turned yourself to keep up with him, jogging beside him instead of away.
“Hey there,” you greeted.
“Hi,” he smiled.
“You’re Steve Rogers,” you breathed.
He chuckled. “Yes, ma’am.”
“My dad’s told me a lot about you.”
“I get that a lot.”
You both decided to take a break, sitting on a bench at a nearby park.
“I don’t mean to sound like my dad, but I’m a big fan of yours,” you gushed breathlessly.
“Thank you, ma’am,” he smiled. “Who’s your dad?”
“Phil Coulson.” (3)
“Ahh, Agent Coulson,” Steve nodded. “He was a great man.”
“Yeah, he was…”
“He never mentioned having a daughter.”
“He kept that information from a lot of people. Didn’t wanna risk putting me in danger.”
Steve nodded again. “That makes perfect sense. He was a very caring man. I’m sure he wanted the best for you.”
You couldn’t help but think that the best thing for you would be to find a man like your father’s favorite hero… or your father’s favorite hero himself.
“I don’t mean to sound forward, ma’am,” Steve began gently, “but I would be honored if you’d join me for lunch this afternoon.”
You bit your lip with a smile. “I’d love to.”

He took you to a local café after learning that you only drink coffee with your oxygen (4). He found you a table in the corner near the back to allow more privacy, noticing your shyness during the walk there. You thanked him for his thoughtfulness as you sat down.
“I’ll go order our drinks,” he offered. “What would you like?”
“I’ll have a (f/drink), thank you,” you replied. He smiled and headed up to the counter to order. You could see the barista from where you sat, and she was clearly flirting with the Captain. She giggled as she scribbled down his order and went to make the drinks. She giggled again when she handed the drinks to Steve and blushed profusely when he left her a large tip.
He returned to you with your drinks and a couple of muffins – (f/muffin) for you and blueberry for himself. He slid your drink and muffin to your side of the table before sitting across from you. “I don’t mean to sound like a stalker but I’ve seen you running down this block before but I didn’t have the courage to approach you.”
“Aw, the great Captain America was shy?” you giggled.
A blush crossed his cheeks. “You could say that, ma’am.”
“I can’t say I was much braver,” you admitted. “I’ve seen you on my run and I wanted to say hi but I figured I’m just a girl – I couldn’t be of interest to Steve Rogers.”
“I’m just a guy, ma’am,” he replied, sipping his drink. “I may be an Avenger but I’m still human. I don’t want to be treated like a celebrity.”
“I get that,” you replied, “but it’s hard not to treat you like a celebrity. You’re the man who survived seventy years in ice, America’s greatest hero, the living legend. You’re a big deal to this country, and New York especially.”
He smiled. “You’re first girl I’ve talked to that hasn’t completely, uh, freaked out upon meeting me. You’re real. I like that.”
“I like being real myself,” you giggled again. “It’s better than being imaginary.”
He laughed and continued to smile at you, talking and sharing stories with you, completely losing track of time.

Hours later, the two of you finally leave the coffee shop to see that it’s almost dark out.
“Wow, it’s getting late,” you noted. “Sorry to keep you out so long.”
“No apology necessary, ma’am,” he replied. “I had a great time.”
“I did, too.”
“May I walk you home?” he asked, looking down at you.
You looked back up at him with a smile. “I’d love that.”
He walked you back to your apartment with you leading the way. He wrapped his hand around yours, your smaller hand fitting perfectly inside his. You smiled to yourself as you neared your apartment. You held back a sigh of disappointment as you reached your door.
“Here we are,” you said softly.
“Do you think we can go out again?” he inquired.
“I’d be honored,” you replied with a smile.
He leaned down to press his lips yours softly. Your eyes fluttered closed as your chest exploded with butterflies.
He pulled away all-too soon, still smiling. “Tomorrow?”
“Tomorrow,” you agreed. He pecked your cheek before turning and walking away, leaving you to smile like a teenage girl as you entered your apartment.

(1) Eh? Anyone? I had to, sorry.
(2) I don’t know how old Cap is, sorry. I just know he was frozen for 70 years.
(3) Added that on the spot.
(4) It’s a TV show reference, ha, sorry.