Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard
A/N: This is a father/daughter relationship, no romance.

To say that you were a gymnast was the understatement of the year. You had won several championships, passing with flying colors and leaving your opponents in the dust. Gymnastics had been your passion since you were a child, and since your father could afford just about anything in the world, he was eager to sign you up for classes the second you asked.

It was after you’d won your most recent tournament that you met the Avengers. You’d heard plenty about each of them from your father, usually complaints of course. You’d been dying to meet them, but it was dangerous. You could get hurt if their enemies found out about you and used you as leverage. But your dad was never one to listen to other people’s suggestions, and the whole team was just as excited to meet you.
You won yet another tournament with minimal effort, showing up the other competitors and making your father proud. When it was over and you’d received your medal, (1) you found your dad and his buddies getting up from their seats to come congratulate you.
“Congrats, babe,” he smiled, pulling you into a hug.
“Thanks, Dad,” you replied, turning to look at the team.
“(y/n), meet the Avengers. Capsicle, Bird Boy, Black Widow, Meatswing, and the rage monster,” your dad introduced, gesturing to his buddies. You giggled, knowing how your dad liked to give people nicknames and refused to ever use their real names.
Natasha rolled her eyes. “I’m sure you’ve heard enough about us to know our names. Stark likes using nicknames to feel superior.”
“That’s my dad,” you agreed.
“(y/n!) You’re supposed to be on my side!” your father whined.
Bruce smiled and held his hand out to you. “Bruce Banner.”
You took it in yours. “(y/n) Stark.”
“What’s it like being the daughter of Iron Man?” Clint inquired.
You shrugged. “We got a lot of money. That’s pretty nice.”
“She’s just like you,” Steve mused, earning a laugh from the team and a smirk from Tony.

“She’d be a great addition,” Natasha reasoned as she sat around a table with the other Avengers. “You saw her gymnastics today. No enemy would be able to catch her, jumping around like that.”
“Nat’s right,” Clint agreed.
“Being an Avenger is dangerous enough as an adult,” Tony argued. “I’d love to see more of my kid but I can’t knowingly and willingly put her in danger.”
Clint opened his mouth to argue but was cut off by Steve. “Don’t think about making her an agent, either,” the Captain said. “She’s an innocent teenager. You can’t ask her to help save the world.”
Tony raised a brow. “You’re agreeing with me?”
“She’s a great kid, Tony,” Steve shrugged. “I’d hate to see her get hurt.”
Not wanting the Captain to know how touched he was, Tony coughed. “Right. Yeah. My kid’s not joining.”
“Shouldn’t that be her decision?” Bruce questioned. “I understand you not wanting to put her in harm’s way but she should make the final choice.”
“Just tell her that it’s an option,” Natasha urged. “Let her know that we think she’d make an amazing agent or Avenger and that it’s her choice.”
Tony eventually agreed to at least talk to you before putting his iron boot down.

A few days later – Tony had procrastinated as much as the rest of the team would allow – your dad finally came to approach you about the subject of joining SHIELD and/or the Avengers.
He hesitantly knocked on your bedroom door, waiting for a “Come in” from you before he opened it. He stepped in slowly, closing the door behind him.
“What’s up, Dad?” you inquired, looking up from your book as you sat on your bed.
Tony sat at the foot of your bed and cleared his throat before responding. “I have something to tell you.”
You closed your book and sat up straighter, intrigued. “What is it?”
“I was talking to the guys and most of them agreed that you would make a very talented Avenger or agent of SHIELD.”
“And why would they think that?” you wondered.
“They saw your gymnastics routine,” he reminded. “They believe that, because of your speed and flexibility, you could easily escape an enemy and slip away without them being able to catch you. You’d be very helpful on missions.”
You nodded slowly, letting it sink in. “And what do you think about all that?”
He sighed. “I said that they were right. You are talented, and your agility could help them out.”
“But…?” you urged, knowing there was more to your dad’s opinion.
“But…” Tony began, “I don’t want you to be in that kind of danger all the time. I already worry enough wondering if some big bad guy out there is gonna find out about you and take you away from me. Making you an Avenger or agent will put you in even more danger and I’d worry about you even more.”
“Then why didn’t you just say no?” you questioned. “Why are you asking me about it?”
“Because they all agreed that it’s your decision,” Tony replied, looking pained and lost. “I’m your father and I want to keep you safe, but I can’t control your life forever. I don’t want you to join, because people die on this job, but it’s ultimately your choice. It’s your life.”
You looked down at your lap, thinking it over. You looked back up at your dad. “Can I have a few days to think about it?”
Tony nodded vigorously. “Of course, babe.”
With that, he pressed a kiss to your forehead and left the room.

A few days later, you’d made up your mind.
You dressed in the suit that Fury had sent you. It resembled Natasha’s, all black spandex with belt loops to hold your weaponry. The belt around the waist, where Natasha’s suit sported a red hourglass, you adorned a purple snake to represent your flexibility.
You made your way to the main entertainment floor where the rest of the team, including agents and Director Fury himself, had gathered. You adorned a proud smile as you slunk in wearing your new uniform.
Natasha was the first to smile and pull you into a hug. Clint hugger you and lightly slapped your back. Phil and Maria smiled fondly, always glad to have a new member.
Even Fury’s lips curled upwards a little. “Welcome to SHIELD, Agent Stark.”

(1) I know as much about gymnastics as I do about Hydra, so I’m making it up as I go.