Out the Window

Out the Window

Out The Window
A/N: I was worried this would be a shorter oneshot, cuz when I got to the main part (the battle) it was short, but now it’s one of my longest ones in the series.

Being the child of the one and only Tony Stark meant that you had met all of the Avengers and a couple of SHIELD agents. Fury had repeatedly warned Tony against introducing you to the team for fear that his enemies could get wind of your existence and use you as leverage. But Tony deemed it more dangerous to leave you in the dark – at least if you were kidnapped having met the Avengers, you’d understand why. If your father’s enemies really wanted to hurt him, they’d find out about you on their own, and you wouldn’t have a clue what was going on.
So Tony confidently introduced you to the team – Steve, Bruce, Clint, Natasha, Thor, even Loki, Phil, and Maria. You’d been excited to meet all of them, but Steve caught your attention the most. You’d heard stories about him from your dad, who heard them from his dad, and though you knew your father hated him, you couldn’t figure out why. You thought he was cute, sweet, polite, and a good guy.
Don’t tell your dad that, though.

Your father was determined to keep you safe at all costs. So when Loki and his army of evil alien monsters attacked New York, your dad ordered you to stay inside the Tower and stay hidden.
You argued that the Tower would be the most likely target, given that it had your family name plastered on it, and that Loki wanted to bring all of the Avengers to their knees.
But you lost the argument, following the instructions to stay on the lower levels of the Tower which would be less likely to be mutilated since almost every fighter on either side could fly.
Frightened of what would become of your father and your hometown, you took refuge in one of the spare rooms on the third level. You had JARVIS to keep you company, but it was of little comfort.

Unfortunately for the team, you were a Stark, and if that meant anything at all, it meant that you weren’t particularly keen on following directions that weren’t your own.
You quickly grew bored of utilizing the spare room on the floor above the garage and began wandering through the tower, wondering how high you’d have to go to at least hear the war happening outside. The floor you were on offered a faint buzzing noise from within the lower levels of the tower. The entire building had extra thick walls to protect Tony’s precious creations and cars, but the lower levels had fewer windows, given the fact that they were rarely used.
You rode the elevator one floor at a time, taking a break at each one to see if it contained anything that could keep you entertained for more than a few minutes. When you reached the main entertainment level, you ran to your dad’s DVD collection, scanning each and every one – which you had organized first by theme and then by alphabet in a fit of OCD – to find your favorites. You selected The Little Mermaid, which had plenty of songs to keep you distracted, plus your love for mermaids. You set it in the DVD player before grabbing the DVD and TV remotes and plopping down on the couch.
You were halfway through singing along to “Under the Sea” when some kind of alien monster crashed into the Tower, smashing through the extra thick walls and windows and sliding across the floor. You screamed and bolted from the couch, running towards the elevator in hopes of returning to the safety of the lower levels.
You weren’t fast enough.
The alien recovered before you could open the elevator doors. It crawled across the floor, gripping at your legs, making you trip. You cried out as your knees hit the floor and your hands flailed out in front of you in a futile attempt to catch yourself. You groaned as you tried to push yourself up, but it morphed into a scream as the creature lifted you up by your legs and hurled you out the window.
Your scream continued as loud and high-pitched as could be as you went flying through the air. You gathered all of your strength and crossed your arms over your face, preparing to hit whatever hard surface you landed on. You presumed that it wouldn’t be a kind fall; that you may very well die from it. Good job, (y/n). You did exactly what the entire team told you not to.
Your screams were quieted as you realized that you hadn’t hit the ground or a hard building. You’d been caught by a pair of strong, comforting arms. Slowly lowering yours, you looked up at your savior, surprised to see it was none other than Captain America. A blush rose to your cheeks as you stared at him.
“Thank you!” you gasped. “I thought for sure I was done for!”
“No problem, (y/n),” Steve replied with a small smile, setting you on your feet on the roof of the building you almost crashed into. “But what in the world are you doing out here?”
“I, uh… I got thrown out of the window…” you admitted, looking down at your hands.
“How did you get thrown out of the window? Only one creature attacked the Tower, and it was on one of the upper levels.”
“Heh, yeah, about that…”
Steve looked at you sternly. “What about that?”
“I wasn’t exactly where I was supposed to be,” you mumbled.
“And where were you?” Steve questioned.
Before you could respond, an alien came flying at full speed in Steve’s direction.
“Duck!” he yelled at you, bending his knees to cover his entire body with his shield. He pushed you behind him in order to shield you as well. You squealed in fright as the creature crashed into the shield, pushing you and Steve back a few feet. The creature then fell to the ground at least a hundred stories below.
“This is exactly why Stark wanted you to stay in the Tower,” Steve sighed, turning to look at you.
“Technically, I did stay in the Tower,” you defended, crossing your arms over your chest. “I stayed inside the Tower until I was thrown out the window.”
“(y/n)!” a familiar voice yelled. You turned to see Iron Man landing a on the roof of your building.
“Hey, Dad,” you greeted.
“What the hell are you doing out here?” he cried. “You were to remain in the Tower no matter what!”
“And I did!” you argued. “I didn’t stay in the basement, because it’s boring, but I did stay inside the Tower.”
“Then what are you doing out here?” he demanded.
“She was thrown out of the window by one of those creatures,” Steve explained.
“What?!”
“Dad, I’m fine,” you assured him.
“I’m taking you back inside,” your dad stated. “And you’re staying on the lower levels.”
You sighed but nodded as he wrapped his arm around your waist and lifted you into the air. Once landing you on the floor inside the broken wall, he lifted his mask in order to lean forward and kiss your forehead. He watched you head to the elevator before he returned to the fight.

Several hours later, the fight was won. All of Loki’s creatures were dead and the portal to summon more had been closed. Thor had taken Loki back to Asgard and your dad was throwing a party in order to celebrate their victory.
It was during this party that you tried to find the opportunity to thank Steve for saving your life. If he hadn’t caught you, you’d have slammed into the edge of that building and been splattered all over the brick.
You shuddered at the image, continuing to weave in-between the party-goers in an attempt to find the Captain.
You had decided to dress for the occasion, deciding that you were a Stark and deserved to party as much as your father did. You were currently wearing a (f/c) strapless dress that cinched up around your chest to accent it and lightly hugged your curves all the way to your knees. It wasn’t too tight to walk properly in, but tight enough to compliment your body.
You found the Captain sitting at the bar, sipping a soda. You hopped up onto the stool beside him and smiled, waiting for him to greet you.
“Hello, (y/n),” he smiled.
“I wanted to thank you,” you stated, ordering an iced tea.
“For?” Steve inquired.
“Saving me, duh,” you giggled. “I would have smashed into that building if you hadn’t caught me.”
“Couldn’t let that happen, ma’am,” he smiled.
“I really appreciate it. You saved my life.”
He nodded and the two of you sat in silence – well, silence for you two. The rest of the room was the polar opposite of silent – for a few moments.
“So, Steve… I was actually wondering… Now that the world’s been saved and you have some free time, maybe we could-”
“Hold on, (y/n),” he cut you off. You looked up at him with disappointment clear in your eyes. Were you really about to be so obviously rejected by Captain America?
“You’re a very attractive woman, and I really care about you, but you’re Stark’s daughter and I’m old enough to be your grandfather,” he reasoned.
You nodded slowly, looking at your lap. “Yeah, I get that…”
“It just wouldn’t be appropriate for me to be romantically involved with you,” he added.
“Sorry to bother you,” you sighed, walking away.

You spent the next few days in your room, trying to erase your crush on Steve. Nothing worked. Those feelings would linger in your heart and head for as long as they pleased, and nothing you said or did to yourself would stop them.
You decided to stop sulking and shuffle down to the main kitchen to fix yourself some breakfast. While popping some toaster waffles into the toaster, you heard footsteps approaching. Turning, you saw none other than Steve. Suppressing a sigh, you turned back to the toaster without even offering him a “good morning.”
“I see you didn’t have anything to do this morning,” Steve said awkwardly. Your father had gone with Bruce to his lab to work on science projects, Thor was back in Asgard, Clint was on assignment, and Natasha was running errands. It was just Steve and you in the Tower.
“I see you didn’t either,” you mumbled back, stuffing a waffle into your mouth.
“Can we talk?” he inquired softly. You risked a glance at him to find his eyes full of the same hurt that yours held when he rejected you. With a sigh you nod and take a seat across the table from him.
“I was wrong,” Steve began.
You raised an inquisitive brow, urging him to continue.
“I thought that telling you we couldn’t be together would be enough to convince myself to move on. I thought that I could forget that I fell in love with such a young woman, and the granddaughter of a close friend,” he explained, grimacing at his choice of description. “But I can’t. I’m in love with you, (y/n), even if we have seventy years between us.”
“If you think about it…” you began, “It’s kinda like you were in suspended animation for seventy years. You’re still technically twenty-five. That’s not too much older than me. It’s like you travelled through time. That doesn’t make you old, it just makes you special.”
He chuckled softly at your logic. “We can try and look at it like that. I don’t think your father will approve though.”
“I don’t care if my dad approves,” you reply honestly. “I’ve had a crush on you for a long time and instead of fading, it’s growing. Dad will eventually come around… If there’s something to come around to, that is.”
He reached across the table, taking your hand in his. “(y/n) Stark, would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?”
You smiled and squeezed his hand. “Steve Rogers, the honor is mine.”
You both leaned across the table to close the gap. His hand reached up to cup your cheek, pulling you closer.
Your father chose that moment to walk into the room.
“Capsicle, what the hell are you doing with my daughter?!”