Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty

Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty

Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty

“Meow!”
Steve looked down from his paperwork to find a small (h/c) cat at his feet, pawing at his pant leg.
“Hello there, pretty thing,” he cooed, reaching down to scoop said cat into his arms. He scratched the top of its head, earning a meow of approval. You – yes, you. You’re the cat – looked up at him with your big (e/c) eyes, hoping to show him what had happened to you.
“You’re adorable,” he smiled, scratching beneath your chin. You couldn’t resist the purr that rumbled through your body, closing your eyes as he petted you. You shook your head before looking up at him and meowing in his face.
“Are you hungry, darling?” he inquired, standing from his chair to carry you to the kitchen. “I’m afraid I don’t have any cat food, given that I don’t usually have a cat, but I’m sure I have something.”
He set you down on the counter and rummaged through his cupboards, producing a can of tuna. He peeled back the lid and set it on the counter in front of you. You normally resented tuna, as it tasted as awful as it smelled, but your cat senses were taking over and you all but dove into the can, inhaling its contents.
Steve smiled, running his hand down your back as you ate. “I wonder if Tony knows where you came from.”

Once you’d finished eating, the blond opted for carrying you out to his car and driving you to Stark Tower. Once there, he carried you inside and asked JARVIS where Tony was.
“The technology lab with Dr. Banner, sir,” the AI replied.
“Thanks,” Steve nodded, pressing the appropriate elevator button.
He stepped off, still holding you in his arms, and found Tony and Bruce. “Hey, are either of you missing a cat?”
Tony snickered while Bruce smiled. “Nope, not ours. Where’d you find her?”
“She found me,” Steve replied. “I was doing paperwork when she started pawing at my leg. Must have left a window open.”
“She’s gorgeous,” Tony smirked, reaching out to pet you. You knew he was in on you becoming a cat, so you hissed at his hand and curled further into Steve’s arms. You also knew that Tony intentionally left you with Steve, knowing of your crush on the Captain.
“I guess she doesn’t like you,” Steve chuckled.
“She’s a great judge of character,” Bruce noted, earning a glare from the billionaire.
“Maybe Thor knows where she came from,” Tony offered.
Steve nodded and headed towards the kitchen, where Thor was most often found.

“Thor?” he called when he entered the room. You had now opted for riding on his shoulder.
“Captain!” the bigger man called around a mouthful of Poptarts. He smiled as he saw you perched atop Steve’s shoulder. “Who is your friend?”
He had also been told to keep quiet about your true identity.
“I don’t know,” Steve admitted, reaching up to scratch your ears. “She just wandered into my apartment. I thought maybe she belonged to one of you guys.”
“I have never seen her,” Thor lied.
“That’s what Stark and Banner said, too,” the blond sighed. He’d hate to keep you if you had an owner somewhere else.
“Perhaps brother Barton knows from where she came,” Thor suggested. Steve nodded and headed to the weapons training room to find Clint.

“Clint!” he called out, standing in the doorway as to not get in the way of the archer’s shooting.
“What’s up, Cap?” he called back, pausing his training to turn and look at the two of you. He bit back a smirk – the entire Tower was in on the plan, save for Steve.
“Do you know if this cat has an owner?” Steve inquired.
Clint snickered. “Not that I know of.”
Steve sighed in exasperation. “I guess it’s safe to say that she’s a stray, then. Unless she belongs to someone else in New York.”
“I think it’s safe to say that she doesn’t have an owner,” Clint noted, knowing how angry you must be at the talk of being owned by someone.
“I just don’t want to keep her if someone’s out there looking for her,” Steve sighed.
“I think she’d rather stay with you,” Clint offered. You sent him a pointed look, scared that he’d give something away. You hadn’t agreed to this plan – Tony, Bruce, Clint, and Thor had come up with it, and had gotten Loki on board so he’d perform the spell. You didn’t even get a word in.

Steve decided to head back to his apartment, having received virtually no helpful information whatsoever from his teammates. He had no idea how to care for a cat, so he stopped at the store on the way home to buy more cans of tuna and a half gallon of milk.
Once back in his apartment, he set up a tuna can and a small bowl of milk on the coffee table in the living room. He’d been thinking about you – human you – for a while, wondering where you were right now. He supposed you were at your own apartment, since you usually didn’t stay at the Tower with the others, but you hadn’t answered your phone all day. He only hoped you were alright.
He scanned his DVD collection, knowing how to operate all the systems thanks to your help. He found a movie you’d talked about. He’d only bought it because you had told him it was your absolute favorite movie. He decided to put it in the player. It would make him think of you, and he loved thinking of you. And perhaps he could learn something about you if he could figure out why it was your favorite.
You recognized the movie within seconds, meowing in approval and curling up on the couch cushion beside the Captain. Your purr started back up as he ran his hand down your back, smoothing out your fur. You nuzzled into his hand, falling asleep about ten minutes into the movie.

You stretched and yawned as you awoke the next day, feeling a comforting warmth beneath your head. Blinking in confusion, you sat up, noting that you were no longer a feline. You bit your lip in potential embarrassment, turning your head towards the source of warmth. There you found Steve, completely unconscious and upright on the couch. His head hung against the back of the cushion while his hand rested limply against your back. He must have fallen asleep petting you.
You took a deep breath and decided to take a leap of faith. You scooted closer and pressed a kiss to his cheek, waking him up. He blinked a few times as he awoke, turning to look at you.
“(y/n)? What are you doing here?”
“Thanks for taking care of me,” you replied simply.
He looked around in confusion, seeing the completely empty tuna can and half empty bowl of milk. He watched as you combed your fingers through your (h/c) locks, smoothing out some of the tangles. He mentally face-palmed as he made the connection – you and the cat he had taken care of had the same color hair, and now you were seated in the exact same spot where the cat had fallen asleep.
“You were the cat?” he questioned.
You nodded, looking down in embarrassment. “It was a spell.”
“Loki?”
You nodded again.
“Accidental or intentional?”
“Intentional,” you said. “But not my idea.”
“Whose idea?”
“Tony’s, mostly, though Bruce, Clint, Thor, and Loki agreed to it.”
“What was the idea?” Steve inquired. “Something tells me there was a reason.”
You paused. “They thought that turning me into a cat and leaving me in your apartment and in your care might make you confess something to me.”
“What kind of something?”
You opened your mouth to reply before shaking your head and changing your response. “Nothing. It’s nothing. Thanks again.”
You stood up to leave, feeling rejected.
“Wait,” he called. You turned to look up at him.
“Was this a scheme to try and get us together?” he inquired.
“It was stupid, I know. And I didn’t have a say in it. They just sneaked (1) up and had Loki cast the spell on me. I know you don’t feel the same so the plan was completely inappropriate-”
You were cut off by a pair of warm lips pressing against yours. Your eyes widened in surprise as he pulled away.
“I do feel the same,” he whispered, reaching up to cup your face. He kissed you again, wrapping his other arm around your waist to pull you closer. You rested your hands on his chest, closing your eyes.
“I’m glad Loki turned you into a cat,” he whispered against your lips.
“I’m glad that it wore off,” you giggled, kissing him again.

(1) It kills me to write “sneaked” instead of “snuck.” I looked it up – “snuck” is more recent and more common in regular speech, but “sneaked” is more proper and official, for writing and such.