Status: I'm pumped for this

Hearts on Fire

They meet again.

The next time I met him it was a cold and rainy day and my car was stuck on the side of the road, my parents were away and couldn’t pick me up and my brother made me a promise of one hour. I knew a little about cars but not enough to get me out of the hole I was in. I sighed my hoodie was already half-soaked and I had no choice but to sit in my car and wait.

However as I pulled open the door I heard the engine of a motorcycle dying down, I looked to the right and there was a tall lanky boy dismounting his bike and helmet. I recognized his face right away and felt a little jolt throughout my body as he came toward me, running a thin hand through his golden brown locks. He popped up the hood to his black hoodie and by then he had reached the circle of my space.

“Car trouble?”

I nodded my head slowly, “Yes.”

“Was there smoke?”

“No,” I replied still a bit nervous because he was practically a stranger, “It was driving fine and then it just began to slow down and then it stopped working.”

“Pop the hood?”

I got inside the car and pulled the little lever that was located by the seat, I watched him walk around to the front of my car, he bent over immediately looking over everything he played with things that looked like belts and then asked me to test the engine after three failures he closed the hood.

“You’re going to need to bring this in I don’t have any of my tools on me.”

“Tools?”

I realized I asked a stupid question when he smirked at my idiocy.

“Yeah I’m a mechanic over at Jay’s body shop.”

“Oh,” I nodded my head, “I don’t have AAA or anything.”

“I think I can get one of my buddies to come get it for you; in the meantime can I give you a ride somewhere? ”

I looked to his bike, to my car, and then to the slippery road. Was it safe to ride a motorcycle when it was raining?

“Uh,” I ran a hand through my now damp hair, “I-I’m not so sure about—”

“I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was twelve.”

“But aren’t you more likely to die?” I bit my lip when he gave me a look of question, “I mean because it’s raining the roads are more hazardous—”

He chuckled before he handed me a helmet, “I’ll be extra careful.”

There wasn’t a sign from God, no flashing lights, or honking horns to guide me to my decision. Just my gut and I didn’t know if it told me the truth most of the time. So I put my faith in a stranger. He straddled his bike and even though I waited a reluctant minute I still got on the back.

He revved the engine and we were off.

I watched my car fly by and I silently hoped nothing would happen to it. Although I seriously doubt anyone would want my chemistry book.

“Your name’s Gauge right?”

A little spark of excitement lit up within me when remembered my name. A guy actually remembered my name and it was a guy who could be a sun kissed god. Despite the start to my day I was actually having a pleasant experience riding on the back of his motorcycle.

“Yeah.”

He nodded his helmet clad head, “You never told me where you needed to go.”

I was glad he couldn’t see my cheeks turn pink.

I had been so distracted by the fast moving cement I never thought that I needed him to drop me off back home.

“Um my house,” I replied quickly, “It’s on Palmero.”

“Got it.”

There wasn’t much conversation to be remembered. But there was a moment when he sped up and I gripped on to his waist tighter and I was entirely sure I felt him laugh at me. Once again causing me to blush.

I was nervous when he turned on to my street. My neighborhood could be overwhelming if you didn’t live on the street or one similar to it. I know what people said about it, buying houses that large were unnecessary. Certainly a family of four didn’t need that much space. I also knew what people said if you complained about having a house that large.

The whispering never ended. I could never win against people who like to win and put others down to feel better about their own situation.

I was wondering what type of complainer this boy was going to be.

When I told him which was mine he just stopped his bike.

I hopped off quickly and returned his helmet.

“Thanks for the ride.”

“No problem.”

“I better go in before I get even more drenched.”

“Wait!”

The boy called again and my heart skipped a beat.

“What’s up?”

“Can I get your number?”

I blinked like an idiot, “What?”

“I need your number so I can call you about your car.”

I was such an idiot. Of course he needed it for the stupid car. Why else would he need it. I could have kicked myself for the hopeful scenarios that were playing around in my head.

I tore a corner piece off one the old papers in my book bag and scribbled the number down for him.

“I’ll let you know what’s wrong with it soon.”

“Okay thanks again.”

“Anytime Gauge.”

I smiled and then ran like hell to get out of the rain. It didn’t really feel like anything special when I got inside. I wasn’t all that moved or excited to the point where I leaned against the door fanning myself. I was just curious.

I wondered what walk of life this boy hailed from and how different it was from my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Brief and a little boring but I'm setting the ground work for this baby. I hope you'll stick with me guys!