The Speed of Sound

Where it stays

I walked through my front door and quietly crutched to the stairs, holding onto the railing. I limped down the hall and into my bedroom, too wired to sleep. I layed in my bed and shoved several pillows under my cast, laying on my back. I stared up at the ceiling and thought about the last few hours, over and over. I was still in his jacket. It smelled just like him. I laid as comfortably on my side as I could with my cast.

My phone buzzed so I reached into my pocket and grabbed it. It was Janice. I slid my thumb across the screen and put the phone over my ear. “What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” She shouted before even giving me a chance to say hello.

“Okay, do you know what time it is?” I asked. “Calm down, explain further.”

This wasn’t the first time that she’s woken me up like this. I’ve learned to deal with how she processes new information. “Jonah told Kayla that Dan said Kyle saw you last night at like four am with Chance.” She said, not even taking a breath in between. “So, what were you doing?”

I sighed. “I don’t know.”

“What the hell does that mean?” She demanded.

“I don’t want to explain this over the phone, do you want to get breakfast?” I asked. “I’m buying.”

“I’ll be there in twenty minutes.” She said before hanging up.

There was definitely something between me and Chance going on. I just didn’t know how to explain it. I got out of bed and hopped to my bathroom. I brushed my hair into a bun and looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing white shorts and a black tank top under Chance’s grey sweatshirt. I slipped on a sandal and hopped over to my crutches.

I walked down the hall and butt-scooted down the stairs. I stood up and heard a rattling in the kitchen.

“Mom?” I said, turning the corner from the stairs to the kitchen. She was standing in front of the counter making coffee.

“You’re up early.” She said. “Assuming you slept.”

I shifted uncomfortably. “So, where’d you guys go last night?” She asked.

“To In-N-Out.” I said solemnly.

“You just got back an hour ago, Autumn.” She said taking a sip of her coffee. “It doesn’t take almost five hours to get burgers.”

“We drove around for a while after that. We went into town.” I said.

“At three am?” She said.

“You said he was welcome back here whenever.” I condescended.

“Don’t you think that was just the slightest bit dangerous, Aut?” She didn’t sleep last night either. I could tell she was exhausted. “We don’t know him that well, and I know you go to school with him but what if you’d gotten into some sort of trouble? You have a broken leg, you wouldn’t be able to run from the cops.”

I laughed a little at that. “I know.”

“All I’m saying is just to be a little more careful.” She said. “You’re all I have now.”

I nodded. The front door opened, cutting our heart to heart short. “Good morning, bitches!” Janice yelled from the front door.

“Where in the kitchen Janice.” My mom shouted. She walked into the kitchen and gave my mom a hug.

“How’s it going mom?” She asked.

“It’s going, and going some more.” She said, tired.

“Oh, hey, my dad said that offer is still on the table if you want it. I say you should take it, I’ve always wanted a sister.” She said.

Janices dad has been trying to take my mom on a date for months now, but she kept declining. He’s kind of attractive though, if I were a forty year old woman I’d go for him. “I don’t know, it’s just too soon.”

“Come on mom, it’s been almost four years since dad left. Come on, you gotta get back in the game!” I said, patting her arm with my crutch.

“Here,” Janice said taking my moms phone off of the counter. “I’m gonna put his number in here. Call him.”

“I don’t know, you guys.” There was an unsure light in her eyes. I could tell she wanted to start dating again, but she was still afraid. I mean, walking in on your husband plowing some random is hard for anyone, especially since they were together since high school.

“You’re going to do it mom.” I said crutching to the door. “Promise me you’ll do it!”

“Bye mom!” Janice said walking out of the door.

We walked to her car and drove down the street to a coffee shop. “So, what the fuck is doing on.” Janice asked me while she was holding the cafe door open.

I walked over to the counter and smiled at the barista. “Can I have a caramel mocha frappe and a banana nut muffin please.” I said. She took Janices order and I reached in my pocket for my card.

I sighed. “We went to In-N-Out, and then to the pier over the town. We watched the sun come up and then he took me home.” I said, hopping over to a seat by the window.

“That’s not what I want to know, I want to know all the nitty gritty details, come on!” She said.

“We kissed.” I said. Watching her jaw drop.

“What?!” She said. “What was is like was it the greatest thing ever? Did you guys do it?”

“Janice!” I said while a server brought our food to our table. I wait until she left. “No we didn’t do it! We just started talking to eachother.”

“We’ll that didn’t stop you from playing tonsil hockey with him!” She teased.

“There wasn’t any tongue.” I said. “I don’t know. I’m just really confused.”

I took a bite out of my muffin. “Why?” She asked. “You’re in the clear. You guys are practically dating.”
“Nothing is official.” I said. “I don’t know if anything will even be official.”

“Are you crazy?!” She almost screamed. “You’re totally in the clear!”

“He said something last night. He said he’d had this like huge crush on me since like freshman year--”

“Then what the fuck are you confused about?” She asked.

“Let me finish!” I snapped. “He said that he couldn’t, like something was stopping him from talking to me.”

“Maybe he just has really strict parents.” She said with a mouth full of croissant.

“No, you had to be there. It was the way he said it. There’s more to it. I don’t know if I want to stick around to find out, thought. I mean yes, he is extremely attractive and he’s nice and sweet and great but, I don’t like where this is going.” I said.

“I think you’re reading too much into this. I mean, Brandon did the same thing when he started dating, and sticking around is how I found out what he was hiding a sixth toe on his right foot.” She said.

“How are you and Brandon?” I asked. “I hate focusing on me. I’ll sort it out, how about you? “

“Eh.” She said. “Where same old, same old. He’s coming over today, we’re gonna plan stuff for our one year.”

“It’s been a year already!” I said. “I’m so happy for you guys.”

“Which is exactly why you need to give Chance a chance!” She said.

“I don’t know.” I said.

“Life doesn’t come with security! Live it to the fullest our don’t live at all!” She said.

I looked down at my phone. “Chance is calling me.”

“Speak of the devil.” She said.

“Hey.” I said putting the phone to my ear.

“I have a great idea.” He said.

“For?” I asked, sipping my coffee.

“A date, a real one. One that doesn’t happen at three am.” He said.

“Which is?” I asked.

“For me to know, and you to find out. Be ready in an hour.” He said.

“We’re going on a date.” I said hanging up.

“See!” She said tipping the server and standing up. “Did he tell you where?”

“No.” I said slowly making my way to the door. “It must be complex, there’s not much a cripple can do.”

She opened the door for me and drove me home. I was a little nervous, so I decided to shower.

“I think I’ll stay here and hang out with mom, until you get back so I’m not the last person to learn this information.” Janice said once I made it to my room.

“That’s great because now you can help me pick out what to wear.” I said, taking off my shorts and crutching to my bathroom.

I started the shower and put this huge plastic bag thing over my cast. I got into the shower cautiously and quickly washed my hair and everything before grabbing a towel and calling Janice to help me out of the shower.

I sat down on my bed and put on my underwear. “Alright,” Janice said while I took off the bag over my leg.

“The only thing we have to work with pants wise are shorts, so here.” She said. She tossed a pair of high waisted shorts to me. “And what goes perfect with high waisted shorts? Crop tops.” She said throwing an off the shoulder white crop top at me.

“And since you’re cripple I think these gold and white sandals are the only things that’ll work.” She said.

“Don’t you dare throw that shoe at me-” I said before she threw the show directly at my face. “You’re such a cunt, Jan, I love you.”

“Alright, get dressed chop, chop you have twenty minutes and I still have to do your hair and makeup!” She said snapping at me.

I slipped the clothes and she started grabbing my make up. “Don’t cover my face in makeup, please.”

“Shut up, I know what I’m doing.” She said.

She brushed my hair and braided it into a messy fishtail braid. “Voila!” She said. “You’re perfect.”

“And just in time.” I said after the doorbell rang. “He’s here. Oh my God. I’m freaking out. What am I going to say, what am I gonna do?”

“Well, first off, you’re going to calm the hell down. Take a deep breath. And secondly, you look amazing, one look at you and he’ll drop dead. Work it, babe.” She said.

She helped me down stares. Chance was talking to my mom, he was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a yellow and black striped cardigan. I came down the stairs and smiled at them. “Hey.” I said.

“Oh, my dear lord, you guys look so cute together, let me get a picture-”

“Mom, no. Please.” I said.

“Let’s go.” I said to Chance.