Status: Please subscribe and I would love to receive some comments!

To Feel What Love Is

Chapter One

"Rachel!" Summer called, I hated it when she used my real name, but no matter how many times I've told her that, she never called me Rae.
"What?" I snapped through my cracked door, I earned a sharp remark in reply.
"Don't what me! I'm your mother and I will be treated as such." Now that pissed me off and I stormed down stairs to face my fake as fuck step mom. She married my dad after my real mother died, and I will never see her as my mother, she was there for the money and sex, she might as well have a sugar daddy.
"You will never be my mother, I will never treat you as such, and I will say hat ever I have to say to you. Just because you have a ring on your finger doesn't mean shit to me, you didn't even raise me." I growled, Summer barley batted an eye as she gave me a list of things to do, well things I probably wasn't going to do.
"I'm going out shopping, I expect for those to be done by the time I get back." She said promptly, slamming the door behind her. I scanned the list, mostly stupid the chorus but the least I'll do is cook dinner for my dad. Since losing mom, he took to the bottle but he was there through everything. He may be a drunk but he wouldn't ever put his hands on me, I remind him too much of mom. Half way through finishing dinner he arrived, stumbling through the door with a empty beer bottle in one hand and a box in the other.
"Hey, I almost have dinner ready." I said, not paying much mind to him, usually he'll grab another bottle and go watch something in the living room as I give him dinner before he passes out. Then I'll probably go upstairs and wait for the countdown to my 18th birthday, sadly, only I would be the only one to wish it.
"Hey, Rachel," My dad's gruff voice caught me off guard, he usually never sounds this quite or gently, usually he never even talks to me except to get him another beer, "This is from your mother, not Summer, your real mom. Happy early birthday" He said, placing the box on the table, taking his plate, and scuffling out of the room. I stood stunned, staring at the box. If it was really from my mother, then it was at least a decade old, and judging by the paper wrapped around the outside, it could be that old. The paper was a faded purple color, the wrapping around it peeling, torn, and wrinkled in certain spots along with a rotten ribbon bow on top, faded from a pink to the color of flesh. I gently picked it up, as if my life depended on it, and headed to my isolation room a.k.a. my bedroom. Once in there, I sat down on my bed, staring at the box as if it was a ticking time bomb, a ten year old ticking time bomb.
"Well now or never...." I whispered, pulling the ribbon off, it pretty much disappeared in my palm, falling apart and throwing dust into the air. The paper held up just a bit more and I folded it up and set it on my pillow, it was a cardboard box that was hidden below everything and it was a bit bigger than my palm. It had a few stains and a minor hole in the corner as I picked the tape off and opened it. I had to almost gasp at the sight of a ruby necklace, shiny as if it was just cut and polished. under the beautiful necklace was a paper, yellowed by time's unwavering hand. I pulled the necklace out and instantly slipped it on before pulling the paper out and folding it open.

"Dear my Rae of sunshine, I've never been honest without and the necklace within this box was a gift for you're 18th birthday. I wish I can be there to give it to you but sadly my time is running out. The necklace is as old as time it's self and is priceless, as you see, will help you as you go through new changes and enter a world you never knew existed. Don't be afraid, take the world in strides.
With love for eternity, Mom"

It took everything I had to not break into tears, it was her handwriting, and now I have something of her's. What did she mean I would be going through changes? I've been through puberty, that was enough already. I stood up and headed to the bathroom mirror to look at the necklace, it fell between my collar bones and above my breast, the ruby was cut and placed in the middle of an inverted cross and a X. It gave off an electric feel as it laid against my skin. Almost as if it had a plus running through the metal too.

A crash from downstairs jolted me from my thoughts, I shoved the necklace into my pocket before racing downstairs. My dad gets mad and upset but never enough to break something, even in his drunken state he knows not to pay to have to replace things. I jumped that last half of the stairs, landing painfully at the bottom, a jolt of lighting was sent up my soles. I peeked around the corner, terrified of what I'll find, and terrified was the right response. The living room was a mess, the coffee table was shattered, the couch was torn apart, picture's ripped and there frames broken, and at the far wall was a creature holding my dad up against the wall by his neck.
"You knew this time will come, where is she?" The demon roared at my dad, no matter how helpless the situation was, he was calm as he respond, his voice low, calm, and even.
"Yes I knew completely well when this time would come, she is not ready for your world." He said, when that thing slapped him,however, I felt anger rise up within the me. No one touches my dad, he may not be father of the year but he was still the only one that never left me. I almost yelped in surprise when I felt a singe of heat against my leg, causing a flash of pain to stab my skin. I pulled the necklace out of my pocket and held it, it gave off a warm feel and was smoking, but unfortunately the creature smelt the burning denim from my jeans and dropped my Father,letting his slid to the ground as he tried to catch his breath before making it's way over to the hallway. I didn't know what else to do but clearly the necklace that was laced in my fingers had powers that were NOT normal, not of human origin atleast. So like a normal person, I slipped it on and I instantly felt electricity jolt through my limps and down to my finger tips, it wasn't painful, but it did feel powerful.
"There's are little half breed!" The creature roared as it reached for me, I almost yelped in surprise and cowarded away. Instantly the fear that was there was gone and now was replaced with rage, I couldn't even control it as I feel into a pit of fury. My fist connected with it's jawline first, sending it back a few steps. He roared in anger before grabbing me ,flinging me into the wall. My body went through the dry wall, white powder mixing with the blood from a gash on my forearm. He was over me in an instance, his eyes black and when he leaned back to punch me, I brought my feet up and kicked his back, causing him to land on his ass. With each of my attacks was creating a new spark of electricity through my fingertips till, making it build up slowly finally I grabbed the creature by it's neck. The heat and energy flowed freely from my skin and into his, I could feel his heart beat quicken and my vision went red, the creatures heart kept beating much, much, faster until it burst within it's chest. Black blood squirted from its nose, eyes, and mouth as it covered my skin, it evaporated off with a hiss. It feel to it's knees before falling to the ground in front of me, it's lifeless body smoking on the old cheap hardwood. When my vision cleared and my fingers stopped tingling, I remembered my father. He was in the corner of the room, opposite of the hole I created, staring at me in fear.
"Dad, I-" I didn't know what to say, I COULDN'T EVEN SPEAK, the necklace that moments ago gave me unknown power and strength was now cold and lifeless like any other necklace. Without any thing else to do, I panicked and ran.
"Rachel! Wait!" My father called after me, but I wouldn't listen, I caused all this chaos, that thing was there after me. If I stayed, it more like it were likely to show up, so I ran on until my legs wouldn't run any further and my lungs screamed for a break.