I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 101: Kirk Cesar

“Fucking Washington state, huh?” Poison grumbled to himself right before he dove down from the huge tree he had just climbed up on to land on the balcony built into the back of the house he was set on infiltrating tonight. He landed flat on his feet perfectly before rolling once and stilling into a crouch, his gloved fingertips gracing over the cold hardwood floor as he remained in place, listening in for any movements within the master bedroom connected to the balcony he hid on. When he configured the only sounds, he heard were mumbles coming from the downstairs kitchen, Poison straightened up and got to work unlocking the glass terrace door that led from the balcony to the bedroom.

Once that was done, he turned the knob with a gloved hand and snuck into dark empty bedroom. His senses were instantly hit with the familiar scent of Frank Iero so intensely it felt like a sucker punch to his stomach and made him breathlessly stumble back. He couldn’t catch his next breath as the emotions he always kept in check when he was in his Killjoy mode attempted to erupt to the surface and effect his way of thinking. Closing his hand into a fist, he pressed it over his mouth and looked away from the room to the nearest wall in an attempt to get ahold of himself all over again. The tears threatening to fall at the corner of his eyes were banished back with a low clearing of his throat.

He had found his beloved, his Frankie. The scent alone proved that.

Removing his hand from his mouth, Poison got back to his mission at hand. With a deep breath, he wandered deeper into the bedroom. The moonlight pouring through the sheer curtains hanging over the terrace doors spilled across the king size bed pushed up against the center of the wall to Poison’s right. The bed had been lazily made either in a rush or in a half-assed attempt to fulfill the chore of making the bed.

Poison smirked at that sight as he walked over to pull the sloppy sheets back and sit on Frank’s side of the bed. Closing his eyes and forgetting that there was conscious person still downstairs moving about freely that could still discover him, Poison tilted his back and pretended he could still feel the warmth of Frank’s body on the bed for a few minutes. His desperation made it easy, and soon he was glancing down at pillow by his hand. His beloved slept on that pillow. Reaching out, he lifted the comfy plush material with both hands and hovered it over his lap for a moment before silently raising it up to smother his face in. With a deep breath, he gulped Frank’s scent into his lungs and held it there in hopes it would somehow imprint itself on the walls of his lungs, so he could breathe him in forever, before removing the pillow from his face to expel a rush of air. Poison’s eyes lowered back down onto the pillow where in the moonlight he caught a tiny shine of light bounce off a single strand of Frank’s hair. Holding back a gasp, he reached down and delicately removed the strand up from the pillow and held it up to his face with his thumb and index finger. Time went on ticking as Poison lost himself staring at the hair, and it was only when he heard a cellphone ring downstairs did he wake up again from his fantasy. The person downstairs he figured was Frank answered the phone, but the laugh that came soon after wasn’t his beloved.

Poison’s eyes narrowed into slits as he listened in to the deep laugh before it lowered back into incoherent mumbles. Who the hell else was in Frank’s house with him!?

Launching up from the bed, Poison quietly strode over to the slightly cracked bedroom door, the pillow and strand of hair long forgotten on the floor. The sound of a baby’s whimper was the only thing that managed to slice through his red-hot jealousy and rein him back from going downstairs and painting the wall downstairs with the blood of Frank’s boytoy.

Snapping his head back around, he noticed a tiny crib sitting against the wall beside Frank’s side of the bed. How on earth had he not noticed that was there earlier when he entered the room? Killjoys were known for examining their surrounding down to every single detail and yet Poison had missed something as large as a whole damn crib!

And that also brought up another question…why was there even a crib in Frank’s room? The last time he checked Frank was single and never been with a woman before. There was no way he could have gotten some random women pregnant while still sleeping with his kidnapper that entire time, right?

Checking to make sure he wasn’t wrong, he hurried over to the crib to spot a tiny baby fighting against sleep. Frowning to himself, Poison recognize the child from when Frank was at his parents’ house the last time they were together. He had safely assumed then that this child had belonged to Frank’s Aunt and Uncle…and if that was the case why was he all the way across the country from them?

Much to Poison’s horror, the baby let out another whimper as it’s face scrunched up at the sight of large dark figure who wasn’t reaching down to comfort him. He was threatening to start crying if something wasn’t done to pamper his needs soon, and so Poison reached a hand down into the crib to silence the child with a warm pat on his little stomach. He couldn’t whisper words of comfort to him because on the nightstand beside Frank’s bed was a baby monitor with a bright red light on signaling that it was on. Poison figured its twin device was downstairs somewhere and that he’d be heard if he uttered a single word. Turning his attention back to the baby, he laid his hand over the baby’s belly and gently began to rock the little thing side to side. Poison felt smug when the baby’s big eyes slid shut and he fell back to a deep sleep again.

Mission accomplished, Poison snuck out of the bedroom and headed straight for the ground floor where he caught sight of a man sitting at the counter on a stool in the kitchen. He was too preoccupied on his phone to notice the dark figure making it’s way into the living room to help itself to a seat on the couch to eavesdrop.

“Geez, Aunt Margo, I told you where Frank is already. He’s on some date with a guy he works with named Barry.” The guy exclaimed, openly classify himself as one of Frank’s cousin. “Yeah Frankie said they were going for pizza, and then a movie together.”

Poison’s hand on the armrest of the chair clamped down and tightened with rage.

A DATE!? Frank was on a date with another man?!

Poison closed his eyes as he mentally swore to God that if some sorry little boy was trying to get into his lover’s pants, he was not only going to brutally MURDER him, but every damn human being on this planet that stood in his way. If he had to hunt all over this state to pinpoint the exact restaurant or cinema those two were attending, then he damn well will!

“Barry seemed interested, and quite charming with Frank but…I don’t know about him. Frank was super cordial to him as if they were just two friends going out to hang instead two lovebirds on a romantic date. It was weird.” His cousin continued to spill from within the kitchen.

Poison’s eyes snapped back towards the kitchen where Frank’s cousin was still gossiping on the phone. Did he hear him right or was that his heart playing tricks on him? Frank hadn’t been all over this Soon-To-Be-Dead- Barry? Why not? They were going out on a date, weren’t they? Who isn’t all over each other when they go out? Foolishly, Poison began to hope again, but at the same time he needed to know the truth. But how could he sooner rather than later when he just broke into his house?

A lightbulb suddenly went off in his head, prompting Poison to launch off the couch, and head for the front door unnoticeably. Sitting by the door was an alarm system that would go off if he decided to open the front door. Narrowing his eyes at the contraption through his mask, Poison bravely pulled out the bottom of the alarm and began to fiddle with the colorful sets of wires now exposed all the while with Frank’s cousin sitting in the kitchen in plain open view. At any minute, Poison could have been seen what with his vibrant cherry red hair, but he wasn’t all that worried about it. In seconds, he turned the alarm off, put it back together, opened the front door and stepped outside. Now, that he was outside he had to put his plan into action, which meant taking a risk. Reaching up, he swiped his Killjoy mask off, and finger combed his red hair in his face, so he’d be harder to identify if things went sour. He shook out his remaining lingering nerves and then turned around to knock on Frank’s front door. The door soon opened in front of him, and Frank’s handsome cousin was revealed looking more perplexed that the door had been unlocked and the alarm wasn’t working when he had typed out the code a second ago. “Hello, you must be Frank’s cousin, am I right?”

“Um…yeah.” Frank’s cousin answered unsurely, his eyes looking him up and down suspiciously. “I’m sorry, but I don’t believe we’ve met. Who are you, exactly?”

“I’m a friend of Frank, we go back actually a pretty long time.” Poison lied, keeping his head moving around to emphasize every word he spoke so that he’d be harder to see. “I was supposed to come over and babysit for him, but I had plans that turns out weren’t happening THIS week but NEXT week.”

“Oh, you were?” Frank’s cousin asked. “That’s funny, he never mentioned…”

“Kirk.” Poison answered with a false name, a smirk curling at the corner of his mouth. “Kirk Cesar.”

“Like I said, Kirk Cesar, he’s never mentioned you…wait, Kirk as in from the third floor at the government building Frank works at? The one who always whistle when he’s at the copier?” Frank’s cousin asked, his eyes lighting up with recognition of that information.

“The one and only.” Poison chuckled in feign embarrassment, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Aw, don’t be shy!” Frank’s cousin giggled. “Your songs light up Frank’s day when he gets bored at work. It’s entertaining for him because you sing a lot of the tunes he used to listen to with his friends.”

“It does?” Poison asked, a taste of jealousy on his tongue. “Well, I’m happy to hear that.”

“Oh, how could forget!? My name is Orion, and yes, I’m Frank’s cousin.” Orion offered out his hand to physically greet him. “I’m sorry but I don’t remember him mentioning you at all today before he left.”

“That’s strange, I suppose it’s because I had to change plans so soon after he asked me for a favor.” Poison suggested.

“Well, in that case, did you want to come?” Orion asked him, gesturing with thumb over his shoulder.

Poison grinned with success. “I would love to...”