I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 102: Calm and Collected

“So, Frank had made plans for you to watch the kids before he asked me?” Orion, Frank’s cousin asked Gerard as he lead him into Frank’s living room unbeknownst of who he really was. He plopped himself comfortably on the couch at his eyes followed his guest innocently.

Poison gave him a solid firm and smiled at the unsuspecting man as he took a seat on the other end of the couch, ignoring the large expensive home around him so it wouldn't distract him from his mission at hand. “Earlier this morning, yeah. It was a quick call, like only two seconds long really.”

“Oh, well then who changed their mind? You or Frank?” Orion asked him curiously, running a hand through his dark hair.

“Me. I completely forgot I had made previous plans. I called him right back afterwards and explained my predicament. He forgave me and assured me he’d find someone else to babysit for him. That was the last I heard of him today.” Poison explained further with a convincing enough lie. Orion was asking him too many questions, and it was starting to irritate him because all he wanted to do was wait for Frank to come home from his ‘date’ with Barry 'the dead man' and interrogate him, but…Poison could see that this young man was looking out for his cousin’s welfare, and rightfully so. Frank was kidnapped twice after all.

“You didn’t think to call him before you got here?” Orion pointed out, trying to trap him in case this man was trouble…but of course leading him into the house never crossed his mind as being something too risky to do with this complete stranger. He liked to think he was being protective over his cousin, but in reality, he wouldn’t be able to take the kidnapper even if he had four clones of himself to back him up.

Poison shook his hair with guilt, making sure his long cherry red hair swung in his face so his face couldn’t be easily seen. “Man, I knew I was forgetting something! Calling him completely slipped my mind because I felt so bad for having to let him down before I just…I wanted to get here and make it up to him as soon as possible. Frank is a pretty cool guy and he’s helped me out at work anytime I needed any. I ju-”

“You just wanted to return the favor.” Orion muttered to himself in thought as his eyes trailed over his guest. “I don’t know about this, Kirk. I wasn’t notified about this before and I just can’t let anybody walk in and babysit the kids. It's just not sitting well with me.”

Kids? He only recalled seeing one upstairs when he first broke in. Still playing the part, Poison held up his hands peacefully with a forgiving smile. “Hey, I get it, you don’t have to explain it to me. There’s a lot of crazy people out here that are too dangerous to trust. We can't all be taking risks.”

“Exactly, but…” Orion shrugged to himself and looked Poison over. “I don’t know what it is. Something about you makes me think you wouldn’t harm a fly for some reason.”

Poison feigned a convincing laugh. “Well, I’m sure everyone has killed a fly in their lives, but I’d never raise my hand to a child I can assure you of that at least.”

Orion continued to stare at Poison for a long time, and Poison let him. His mannerism is the only reason he was allowed entry into the house and now it was currently causing Orion to reconsider his decision. His cherry red hair and dark attire would probably come off as creepy to some, but Poison made sure to move his body a certain energetic way that would reduce any suspicions of danger, and keep his voice clear, warm and soothing to chase away any lingering doubts. Poison was a Killjoy, he knew exactly how to talk, move, and look to get away with anything…of course, tonight he wasn’t dressed in his usual babysitter disguise which meant he had to work extra hard.

Sitting up, Orion reached down towards the coffee table in front of him for his phone. “Let me try and give Frank a call about this first just to be sure I’m not getting myself into any trouble here. The last thing I wanna do is piss the little guy off.”

“I don’t think you should!” Poison called out too loudly as he lurched forward in his seat and reached out a hand to stall him before he could reach Frank's name in his contact list. His heart stopped at what he had just done! He blew his damn cover if he wasn’t able to rectify this immediately!

“What do you mean?” Orion asked him in a sharp tone, his suspicions fully engaged now as he narrowed his eyes at Poison.

Shit, Poison thought to himself as he expertly thought up another lie. Relaxing back into his chair, he fought to appear apologetic and nervous. “W-Well, Frank is on that date with Barry tonight, right? That was the whole reason he wanted me to come over and babysit for him in the first place. If you interrupt them to call, Frank could be disappointed.”

“Disappointed?” Orion repeated with a scoff and an eye roll. “Please, the last time I saw those too together it didn’t look like he was at all interested in Barry in the first place. Trust me, I wouldn’t be interrupting nothing if I called him.”

“Really?” That’s not what I heard.” Poison pretended to mumble the last sentence to himself and tap his finger on his chin. “Strange.”

“Wait, what did he tell you?” Orion questioned him with a raised brow.

Just like that, Poison had distracted him from his suspicions and had focused his mind elsewhere. “Oh, nothing, just that…Frank’s been nervous about this date for awhile from what little I’ve heard. We don’t run into each other often but the few times we had we’ve spoken by the water cooler and he’s shared that this is his first association with someone since that traumatic event back home in New Jersey so its really important to him.”

“HE TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT?!” Orion exclaimed in shock, his brown eyes nearly bulging out of his head. How did Frank go from not wanting to tell a living to soul in the whole of Washington to telling some random guy that whistles all the time at the copier machine!?

“Told me what? The traumatic event?” Poison asked innocently, keeping Orion jumping for the bait. “No, he hadn’t. He just told me he went through a dark time back in New Jersey and moved away to start life anew. I figured he didn’t want to go into more detail, so I thought it best not to probe him for answers.”

“Oh!” Orion sighed with relief, leaning back in the couch with a hand over his pounding heart. “So, you don’t know anything about that then.”

“No, I don’t, but what I do know was that he was very nervous about his date going wrong tonight so I offered up some advice to help him.” Poison went on innocently tilting his head up to pretend he was trying recollect what he’d suggested to Frank. “I believe I told him not be too excited or too jittery on his date so he wouldn’t scare his lover boy away, and to try and be calm and collected.”

“Calm and collected?” Orion repeated to himself in thought, his memory recalling Frank’s behavior before he left the house and how unromantically unattached he appeared to be towards Barry. “I suppose that explains why he wasn’t jumping over the moon about going on his first date.”

“Do you think that was bad advice to give him?” Poison asked him, still hiding behind his red hair as often as he could without making it look too noticeable. “I hope it doesn’t end up ruining his date or something.”

Orion shrugged to himself and shook his head with a slight frown. “I don’t think so, I mean…if he’s too excited he might just scare a good-looking guy off. Him being chill is probably the best advice any of us could give him at the time…it sure does explain why he didn’t ask me for dating advice in the first place.”

“That’s a relief! I’m not one for giving relationship advice since it’s been awhile for me too.” Poison replied casually.

“No way!” Orion grinned, his eyes exploring Poison’s amazing figure in disbelief.

Through his hair, he could see Frank’s cousin checking him out. If he had swung that way with the same sex in general, he’d probably tap Orion, but because he literally only had eyes for Frank, he had to pass. “Oh yeah, it’s hard to get chicks sometimes!”

“Oh…right.” Orion muttered in response with disappointment that another hot guy batted for the opposite team.

“So, are you gonna call Frank?” Poison asked him after a few minutes passed of Orion sulking to himself in private.

Orion shook his head.” No, you’re right. I probably shouldn’t ruin their date since it's so special to him.” He lifted his eyes to Poison. “Alright, let me show you around the place real fast before I go. Don't want you getting lost up in this big palace.”

“That sounds great! Thank you so much.” Poison stood up from the couch with a victorious grin behind his hair and followed close behind Orion.