I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 120: He's Your Obsession

The bell dinged to signal his arrival in a 24 hour Starbucks several counties away. Heading towards the sole employee wiping down the back counter, Gerard cleared his throat as he pulled out his wallet. “Hey, can I order a caramel soy latte, please?”

“Oh, I'm so sorry, sir! I didn't hear you come in.” The notified employee apologized with a smile as he whisked towards the cash register. He'd been so preoccupied with tomorrow's plan on his mind that he hadn't heard the bell ding to notify a customer. His fingers rapidly typed the order in. “That'll be $4.50. Would you like to keep your receipt?”

Gerard's eyes had settled on a lone dark figure seated in the far back corner of the establishment and remained there as he instinctively pulled out the bills for the employee. “No, that'll be fine...keep the change.”

“Are you sure, sir?” The boy stammered, seeing the bill as a full $20. He looked up to see the redheaded man was already walking towards the back of the store. Shrugging it off, the boy dropped the bill in the cash register without another word before getting back to sprucing up the place. “Alrighty then.”

“You're late.” Michael Way, also know as Kobra, the leader of the Killjoys muttered before sipping his coffee.

“There was traffic.” Gerard lied as he took a seat across from him and recline back in his chair, his light brown eyes locked on his little brother dressed in a brown leather jacket, black skinny jeans, black converse shoes, and a yellow shirt. He donned thick dark sunglasses as he ran a hand through his long blond hair with the sides and back buzzed down to reveal it's natural brunette shade.

“At this time of night?” Michael lifted a thick brow at him from behind his sunglasses. “I don't think so, big brother.”

Gerard shrugged the real reason he was late which was him trying to rehearse a misleading tale of his recent whereabouts and narrowed his eyes on his sibling. “Michael, why the hell did you ask me to come out here really? Surely it's not to chastise me on my lack of punctuality.”

“True.” Michael answered with a nod before leaning back in his chair and removing his sunglasses. Folding them neatly, he tucked them into his shirt to stare Gerard down. “I'm here to find out where the fuck you've been since I last saw you and what the hell your dumbass has been up to during your absence?”

Gerard sneer in irritation, knowing full well this was the legitimate reason why his brother called him. He had conceded as much when he contacted him earlier. Still, the answer to that was something Gerard didn't feel complacent telling anyone he knew, even his own flesh and blood. “That's nobody's business but my own.”

“Nobody's business?!” Michael rehashed with a growl as he leaned forward, his arms resting on the table top. “Are you fucking kidding me right now!? Do you not remember WHO you are?”

“Oh come the fuck on, Mikey!” Gerard snapped irritably, shaking his head in denial. Once upon a time, yes, he was a Killjoy and yes, it ran his life as a whole. That was until he hunted down a perfect hazel eyed being to a small river and saw his face in the luminous moonlight. From that moment on, Gerard's life was no longer his own to commit to being a Killjoy any longer. The new drive, the new purpose in his life was to be Frank Iero's completely in whatever way that meant. Nothing has yet to reverse his mind since that night. “Give it a fucking rest!”

Michael went on with his tirade, completely ignoring his brother's protest. “Not to mention Pastel keeps pestering me and Sable as to your whereabouts! I've been half tempted to tell he-”

Gerard abruptly leaned forward and threatened with a deadly thrust of his finger at his little brother's face. “Don't you fucking tell that bitch my location, Mikey, or I swear to god I'l-”

“Or what!?” Michael enticed him, his eyes boiling with controlled anger unlike his older brother who had always suffered with cooling his. “What are you do, huh?”

“I'll break both your knees cap with the crowbar in my trunk and personally escort your crawling ass all the way back to those motherfuckers.” Gerard concluded, livid with rage. The mere mention of Pastel's name made his skin crawl and his stomach roil with regret for every thinking that touching her in any way wouldn't be a big deal. Now that he was with Frank it was a huge deal and could jeopardize his chances on winning his family.

“Is that any way to speak to your baby brother after all he's done for you?” Mikey chuckled as he leaned back in his chair again, his anger completely gone now that he's got his brother all inflamed like any rascal little brother would do. “And all she's done for you?”

“What the hell has she done for me other than lie on her back with her legs open?” Gerard countered bluntly, not the least bit apologetic of speaking her in such a way. Then again, he'd spoke about everyone in such malicious ways...except his beloved Black Opal.

“I take it her wetting your dick didn't help to soften your heart in the least bit then?” Michael replied, throwing his hands up in defeat for trying to champion their relationship.

“No, nothing like what Sable does to you, little brother.” Gerard shot back with a heinous grin, knowing his brother detested when his feelings towards his lover were acknowledged.

“Fuck you.” Michael countered before getting back to business. “Now tell me what the fuck is going on with you? The last time we saw you, you ditched out on us on a mission.”

Gerard opened his mouth to respond. “I'm no-”

“And asked for Elena's money.” Michael added with a strict voice. “Would you deny this?”

Of course he couldn't. Not when it came to his grandmother. Exhaling strongly, Gerard took a mouthful from his cup before glaring down at the tabletop. “No.”

“What do you need the money for, Gerard?” Michael asked him. “What is so goddamn important you felt compelled to take money from the very place you swore never to go to? It sure as fuck wasn't to build a future for you and miss Pastel.”

“Fuck no, man!” Gerard snarled. “That girl doesn't mean a damn thing to me!”

“Well then why did you need Elena's money? You never wanted it before.” Michael noted before suddenly tilting his head to the side. “Or perhaps...I already know why you took the money.”

Gerard's entire body tensed up as his first response, for he wouldn't allow any emotions to race across his face that his brother could interpret. If Mikey confessed to him that he knew of Frank's current location, than he shouldn't be surprised because his brother seemed to know EVERYTHING! But still, he couldn't deny that it made him anxious.

Michael let a smile cross his face. “Perhaps, I know what your intentions are with that money.” The accelerating rise and fall of Gerard's chest was evident that he was on the right trail, and so he pursued. “Perhaps I want to meet the darling that has inspired you to take the money.”

Gerard smash a fist onto the tabletop, paralyzing the employee who was mopping at the front of the store. Standing up gradually, he loomed over his little brother as he leaned forward to rest both palms on the table top. “Michael, I'm begging you right now as your brother to not give me a reason to kill you. If I have to, I will...and I think you know already this,”

“I also know you can't keep him from me forever, Gee.” Michael returned softly in order to soothe his brother's ferocious temper. “I already know where he lives, where he works, and that he's pacing the living room waiting for you to come back as we speak.” Gerard's eyes soften on that last part. Was Frank really that worried about him? “It's only a matter of time until we meet. I just hope it won't be on my terms.” Michael said as he got up from the table to leave. “I've preferred it to be on yours, since he's your obsession.”

As his brother walked out of the cafe, Gerard thought his words over. There was no way he could protect Frank and still be with him, it was much too dangerous. Hell, he also knew that he couldn't stay away and live without him. Closing his eyes for a second, Gerard made up his mind and he caught up to Mikey before he slipped into his car. “Wait!” Michael lifted his head to study at him through his thick black sunglasses. “Soon.” Gerard answered reluctantly, averting his eyes. “Just give me some time. I'll keep in touch.”