I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 150: On One Condition

“Holy shit, this is really happening.” Gerard murmured to himself as he stared over the hood of the car at the Iero’s household. They were back home in New Jersey now where it all began for their love...only they were there for him to officially meet Frank’s parents as Gerard Way, their son’s boyfriend.

“Stop it, Gee. Everything is gonna be just fine, you’ll see.” Frank reassured him while eagerly unhooking the twins out of their carseats. “Now get on over here and help me get these kids out of the car.”

Anxiously, but quickly, Gerard complied. Opening the back door on his side, he freed and swept Venetia out onto his side, who giggled with glee. After placing her steadily on her feet, he ordered her to go around the car and to her mother before taking Josiah out of his seat next. Coming back around, he took the strap of the baby bag’s from Frank who was toting it up to his shoulder. “I’ll take that. You’re already carrying enough.”

Rolling eyes at Gerard’s whimsical wink, Frank took each of the twin’s hands in his and led them down the cobble path to the front door. “Very funny, you.”

As they closed the distance to the front door, Gerard felt more positive that he was about to hurl. He wasn’t sure what was wrong with him. As a Killjoy he’s sprinted into worse situations than this, and yet he was more overwhelmed that he would meet the parents of the man he loved. He and Mr. Iero didn’t end things on good terms and for good reasons. If Gerard EVER found some person on top of any of his children he would have behaved the same way...probably even worse since he’s taken lives before for even less reasons. “Sugar, I got to be honest with you. I’m getting nervous about meeting your parents right now. What if your father starts throwing punches at me? I mean, do you expect me to take it or can I defend myself?”

“My daddy won’t put a hand on you, Gee, don’t worry!” Frank reassured him again. He didn’t have to look at Gerard to see that he was shaking in his combat boots, and if he did, he was afraid he might take mercy on him and rework another meeting in the later future. Frank wanted to be with Gerard right here and now with or without the consent of his parents...though he’d much prefer their consent. “I know you and dad didn’t leave on the best of terms, but I’ve been talking to him on the phone nonstop about you. He knows how I feel about you, and how important you are to us. He won’t hurt you.”

Gerard nodded, wishing he could accept him. The nausea in his stomach was saying otherwise. “I know all that, baby, I ju-”

Cut off by Frank knocking on the door, he reassured once again. “Besides, if he tries to touch you, he’ll have me to deal with.”

Protesting to that pact, Gerard conveyed sternly. “Frankie, no, I don’t want you ge-”

The door hurled open so quick Gerard couldn’t finish speaking, and right in front of him was Margo Iero, mother to his Frankie, and grandmother to his children. Her eyes were shimmering with joy at the sight of them all, it was a wonder she didn’t burst into tears of monumental delight. “PUMPKIN! Oh, my pumpkin!”

“Mommy!” Frank cheered, freeing his children’s hands to fling his arm around his mother. In the back of his mind he questioned if he’d ever grow up and stop calling his parents ‘mommy’ and ‘daddy’.

“GA-MA!” The twins squealed with excitement, bouncing in place to obtain her attention.

“Oh my, grandbabies!” Margo gushed, stooping down to hug the little ones. She relished their little hugs until Gerard and a vigilant Josiah caught her eyes. Straightening up, she stepped forward and opened her arms to them both as if she never had the slightest issue with her son’s lover in the past. “And how could I forget you two? Come here!”

Gerard was taken aback when she hugged him as passionately as she embraced her only child. One would think she regarded him as her child too. Hugging her back with one arm, he found himself sputtering. “N-Nice to see you again, Mrs. Iero.”

“Oh we’ll have none of that here, young man!” Margo waved off his civil way of addressing her. “You can call me Margo. Now, come on in, you all. Grandpa can’t wait to see how big all of you have grown.”

The twins applauded and flew into the house to uncover their grandpa. Gerard allowed Margo to take a drooling Josiah from him as Frank came to his side and deposited a hand on his arm. “Are you okay, Gee?”

“So far so good.” Gerard whispered. “But we’ll see how things go with Grandpa, won’t we?”

Frank linked his fingers with Gerard’s before towing him along to where his father had both the twins in his arms and were making them squeal and laugh with tickles. He couldn’t help from laughing too as he accosted him. “Hey, daddy!”

Frank Sr. looked up and momentarily saw his son, then the man next to him. There was a conversion away from the elation in his eyes, but Gerard didn’t see fury as the man came over to embrace his son. Beside them, his heart was pounding, his hands curling into tight fists just in case this older man decided to fling a surprise punch his way. When it came time for Frank Sr. to address him, Gerard gave him a nod and a terse smile. “Hello, Mr. Iero, it’s been awhile. How have you been?”

“Yeah, it has been a while.” Frank Sr. repeated, studying him up and down through narrowed eyes, his face bare of emotions. “I believe the last time was when I found you on top of my son.”

“Frank!” Margo chided him, not appreciating him mentioning that in front of the grandchildren who were already skipping over to the corner of the living room where large presents had been collected in preparation for their arrival.

“Daddy!” Frankie scolded, narrowing his eyes on him as he linked his fingers proudly with Gerard’s to exhibit his support. “Be nice to him!”

“That is true, sir, and I’m sorry for it.” Gerard deceived quite convincingly. He wasn’t apologetic for ravaging his son, but for getting caught ravaging his son. It definitely didn’t leave a good impression. “I hope that you and I can start over and work out a new relationship for Frankie’s sake. I’m willing to put in the effort no matter how long it takes. I love your son.”

Frank Sr. had to look away when he confessed his love for his son. Frankie was his child, his only child, and this man before him was in love with him. This man was showing up into their lives and taking his baby away. But it was bound to happen at some point. One day he was going to lose his son to another person who he anticipated would love and take care of him. Giving Gerard a nod of awareness, Frank Sr. studied him. “Yes, my son has told me as much. And he seems to love you just as much. If you’re willing to put the past behind us, I can try and do my part, but only on one condition.”

Not having a single clue what that condition could be, Gerard frowned. “Anything, sir. You just say the word.”

“I won’t have none of that business done under the roof of my house again!” Frank Sr. demanded with the air of a sergeant “I can’t stop you two when you’re outside of these walls, but when you’re in it I expect you to be respectful and decent, is that understood?”

“Yes, sir.” Gerard agreed heartily though he wasn’t sure if that was an oath he’d be able to sustain.

Frank Sr. turned his stringent stare to his son. “And you, do you understand?”

“Do you really have to ask, Daddy?” Frank whined with embarrassment, his cheeks flushing red. “Of course we won’t do any of that stuff here!”

“Good, then we have an understanding.” Frank Sr. went on, knowing he was going too far and had to urge himself to bite back a smile. “I’m sure you wouldn’t like it if your mother and I did something of that nature in your house, Frankie, now would you?”

“Frank!” Margo once again rebuked, her cheeks now being the one flushing red with embarrassment. “That’s quite enough!”

“EWW GROSS, DADDY!” Frank cried out in abhorrence, making Gerard laugh next to him. Covering his face, then his belly, he wailed. “Oh god, I think you literally made me sick to my stomach! Screw you, guys!”