I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 166: Goodbye, Poison

Poison knew what was going to transpire next on his way towards the exit of the large cabin retreat the Killjoy family were currently residing in. He had just quit the team officially. His brother let him go without any harsh feelings, and as always he eternally had Sable’s love and support. The other members of the team wouldn’t be so compassionate and he expected it. As he walked down the hall from his bedroom with his backpack storing his cherished weapons swinging from his hands, his light brown eyes honed in on Azure, Basil and Citrus tarrying around the stairwell in wait to give him their final farewells...with each of their newly sharpened weapons in hand. The approaching peril didn’t slow his steps as he headed straight for the stairs, keeping the same steady pace.

When he got close enough for a hasty strike to be dished out, it was Azure who initiated it with her twin double-bladed Glaive that she received from their leader Kobra during her initiation into the Killjoy. Her back had been leaning against the wall before she swung the curved blades at him, slicing through the air between them to get to him as she snapped out her adieu. “GOODBYE, POISON!”

Having no choice but to desert his bag to the floor, Poison swiftly dodged every swipe of the gleaming blades until he was able to assemble his own twin daggers that he kept holstered at his sides. Blowing his hair out of his face, he huffed right back. “Goodbye, Azure.”

Their short blades collided as Azure yearned to drench her weapon with his blood, while he strived to NOT dissect her into pieces. Out of the corner of his eyes, Poison spied Basil and Citrus finally stepping forward to accompany their sister, Azure, in taking him down. In the back of his mind he already knew they would interfere in this fight between them, but had been hoping they’d make it easy on him by taking turns instead. He hadn’t wanted to do this so soon, but since it was too untimely to get away intact, he had no choice. Bracing himself for the laceration to come, he skillfully disarmed both of Azure’s twin Glaives from her grip, astounding her and scoring a slice to his arm simultaneously. While her weapons clattered to the floor, Poison seized a handful of her shirt and wrenched her to him. Twisting her about in his hold, he draped an arm around her neck to use her body as a protective shield between Citrus and Basil who now hesitated to attack. Poison grinned menacingly behind Azure’s vibrant blue tresses, taunting them. “What’s wrong, ladies? Don’t wanna send me off anymore?”

“Let her go!” Basil ordered him, her hands clenching tightly around her own glaives that were tripled bladed instead of double.

“Ah ah ah, you’ll have to earn her first. I suggest you hurry, I think she’s running out of air.” Poison chuckled when Azure let out a choked gasp due to the closing of her windpipe. “Tell me, is she turning blue to you too? Or is that just her hair I’m seeing?”

“YOU’RE DEAD!” Citrus shrieked at him with rage, charging forward with her twin clawed daggers in hand. Try as she might, she couldn’t touch him with her blades. Every opportunity was shot down by Poison maneuvering Azure in front of him to take the blow for him. Shouting over her shoulder at Basil, she attempted to recruit her in the hopes that with them working together he’ll slip up. “BASIL, COME ON! I NEED YOUR HELP HERE!”

Basil wavered for a second, not wishing to harm her sister, Azure. But then how was she going to save her unless she did something? Invigorated with determination, the vivid green haired beauty surged forward to fight in solidarity with her other sister, Citrus. “YOU GOT IT!”

Having the two go against him at the same time didn’t burden Poison in the least. He still had the upper hand as he swung Azure this way and that, taking the slashes for him. For now, the two cared too much for their team member to deliver the ultimate blow in order to get to him, but Poison knew that would wane as he continued to be inaccessible behind her. He even saw that very moment unravel the second Citrus daringly leapt forward and propelled one of her blades into Azure’s shoulder, making her scream under his forearm. Surprised by her ruthlessness, Poison barked. “Time out! Time out! Azure seems to be tapping out on us.” With his powerful strength, he heaved Azure to the floor safely out of the way like a rag doll. Unsheathing his twin blades, he grinned down at the two fiery girls. “Green light! Go!”

Evading to the left, evading to the right, at some point the two girls began to tire of Poison’s rapid maneuvering. They were certain this guy could teleport with how fast he moved. Seeing a chance to vanquish Basil first, Poison took his chance by using the weight of his body to tackle her like a footballer. He stopped as soon as he started and watched as he sent her sailing into a wall, cracking her head against the sturdy wood and blurring her vision. Targeting Citrus next, Poison spun around to snatch her by the throat before she could complete her stealth attack behind his back. Closing off her windpipe with his hand, he disarmed her with swift gashes to her hands that were fatal enough to cripple her grip. Grinning down at her, he whispered. “There there now, darling, don’t you worry. I wasn’t playing favorites with your sister. Here, let me give you some attention too so you won’t be jealous anymore.”

Turning around with his hand dragging her along with him, he slammed her back against the wall as Basil. Taking his time, he drew her back to him before launching her into the wall again. He did this several times, watching her head bounce forward with every blow. It was only when she went completely limp did he finally stop and release his hold on her to watch her slide to the floor beside Basil who was suffering a nose bleed. Not believing her to be out cold as she was pretending to be, Poison retrieved one of Citrus’s blade, and then his bag, appearing like he was about to take his leave. When he turned around, he aimed and hurled the girl’s weapon straight through Basil’s raised forearm and through the wall behind it, pining it there. He sighed blissfully at the piercing sound of her scream. “Like music to my ears, Basil, like music to my ears!”

Poison felt alive! Not in the same way he did when he thrust into Black Opal’s body every night, but in another way. This rush of sensation used to be the high he craved back in the day before he found his purpose on a Halloween night in the woods of a local camping ground. It felt awesome though it didn’t come anywhere close to his new drug now. Still, he found himself humming as he pulled his black backpack on and headed down the stairs towards the ground floor, cleaning his blades off on his pants.

Something bright caught his eyes on the way down the stairs. Lifting his gaze, he recognized that brightness coming from the neon yellow hair of Canary. Halting in his tracks, Poison felt the giddiness in him dissipate a little at the sight of the girl slowly climbing up the stairs with her signature twin Sai’s at ready. There was a sinister intent in her brown eyes that would pilfer the soul of any prey, but Poison was different. It didn’t matter to him that Canary proved to be the most exemplary of fighters on the female side of the Killjoy pond due to her years of training in martial arts. He wasn’t going to back down though he did sheath his twin dagger to replace them with his signature bowie knife. Giving her a smile, he said. “Canary, what’s the matter? You look angry.”

“Turn back, Poison!” Canary ordered him, coming to a stop at a safe distance. They had both almost reached the landing. “Turn back and unpack your things before it’s too late.”

“No can do.” Poison answered. He knew she wouldn’t ask again. Canary wasn’t a patient person, and immediately demonstrated that when she ran up the last two steps up to the landing, and used the banister when she kicked off the floor to try and kick him in the face. He managed to duck under her and whirl around just in time for their blades to meet. Like before, he found himself thwarting her attacks not just to avoid fatally damaging her, but himself as well. However the woman was dangerous herself. She was faster than the others, and in time could read her opponents next move if they moved too predictably, and that’s precisely how he was moving.

Luckily for him, the sound of someone else hurrying up the stairs behind her caught her attention. Taking advantage of this, Poison smirked at her. “Goodbye, Canary. It’s been fun!”

Using all his might, he dispatched one powerful spartan kick straight to her stomach. Diverted, he watched her let out a cry before her body made contact with the weak banister behind her that gave way under the force. Canary fell over the edge to the first floor with a resounding thud that made Poison chuckled to himself...but only for a second.

“POISON!” A voice bellowed out.

Turning his eyes to the left, he spotted Rouge stepping up to the challenge to fight him next with his...Pantera Claws!?

Poison’s brows shot up into his hair as he gawked at the bizarre weapon he’d never seen in person before. “Where the fuck did you get those?”

“None of your business!” Rouge snapped at first before the inner gossiper inside him reluctantly admitted with an eyeroll. “This local priest involved with kidnapping and raping the kids he imprisoned in his dungeon under the church had them in his home. Turns out he has a thing for exotic weapons. Kobra said we could have them. But like I said, it’s none of your damn business!”

Nodding in agreement, Poison spun his bowie knife in his hands while unsheathing it’s twin for his other hand. “You’re absolutely correct on that one, pretty boy. This business, this Killjoy farce, is 100% none of my business anymore.”