I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 181: Darth Nihilus

October 31st, Halloween Day. Also, Frank’s 18th birthday. Gerard couldn’t wipe the grin off his face even if a bomb detonated right in front of him. It’s like the sun was shining on him all day and long into the night even when the moon came up. Or at least that’s how his lifted spirits made it seem.

It turned out Frank decided to go as Boba Fett to match the Iero’s Star Wars theme after all. The cheap type of costumes Gerard expected his fiance would’ve shopped for the night of Halloween turned out to be a full expensively detailed custom-made set formed for someone that professionally frequented Cosplay conventions. He almost couldn’t fit his pregnant belly into, but somehow managed with some alterations done by his mother.

Frank Sr. was presently sitting outside on the front porch fully garbed as the Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, his long brown wig fluttering in a passing October breeze. In his hand was the bowl of candies he overflowed for the approaching children that convened onto their porch. Margo sat in a rocking chair nearby wearing a replica of the yellow dress that Queen Amidala wore on her picnic with young Anakin. Most of her dark hair was gathered up on both sides of her head in a yellow net reminiscent of Princess Leia’s styled buns. On her lap, was baby Milo looking as much as Yoda as a baby could. The proficient hands that transformed him was a friend of Margo that worked as a Professional Special Effects artist. He had been in town to drop off their costumes as a favor to her and earlier that day offered his services to alter baby Milo into the great Yoda. He was a very cordial person that had befriended Margo in court.

Jovani’s costume for Halloween had been kept at a minimum because General Grievous had a lot going on for a one year old to run around the house in. He did very much look the part of the villain except for the extra pair of lower arms that would have knocked everything over in Jovani’s path.

For Lorenzo’s costume, Gerard took great care with his makeup though it wasn’t much that needed to be done in his opinion. He’d found a dark shirt and made it appear even darker from the neckline to the upper chest. The small beige jacket that matched his pants were shredded here and there and stained black and red. They’d purchase him little black combat boots that Frank fawned over because they looked identical to his daddy’s, and some black fingerless gloves. The Hockey mask took the most work because Gerard had to make it appear sullied with age along with a few lacerations. Lorenzo’s face was left spotless minus around his eyes which were darkened with some halloween makeup.

Everyone had been so dazzled by Gerard’s artistic skills that by the time he had finished, he’d forgotten to arrange his own costume when the time came for the kids to go out for trick or treating. Luckily for him, Margo appeared with a large box in hand and extended it to him. “Don’t fret, my dear. I got a surprise made for you just in case.”

Taking the box, Gerard set it on the table beside the Halloween paints and opened it to thick black clothing material and a white mask sitting in the center with red lines coming up from the top of each eye. His brows shot up into his long black hair as he examined the costume to get a concept of who or what it was. “Wow, I...I have no idea who this is, but this looks amazing!”

“Some Darth Nihilus...Nihulus, or whatever his name is.” Margo shrugged the name off with a smile. “I suppose it doesn’t matter. I saw it on the same website where we got Frank’s costume and immediately thought of you. Isn’t that strange?”

Gerard didn’t think so. The costume appeared to belong to some villain in the Star War franchise. Gerard was a real-life villain. To him, it was the ideal match. Grinning, he thanked his future mother-in-law. “I don't know what to say. Thank you doesn’t seem enough!”

“You can thank me by wearing it.” Margo prodded him, giving him an encouraging poke towards the downstairs bathroom. “The only paint you’ll need is black, by the way.”

“Sweet! Thank you again, Margo!” Gerard rushed into the bathroom and shut the door. Every item fitted impeccably, every measurement on point. He figured she might have gotten some help from Frank who should know his size now in every department.

Stepping out of the bathroom in his costume with his mask in hand, Gerard paused when he saw his daughter, Venetia. Her Snow White costume had been flown in from Paris to be fully completed after being started by an Italian designer in Florence. She was every bit the Princess and she knew it as she swished her billowing yellow skirt around the house. Her costume was a more modern detailed take on the original Snow White costume, except this one had long sleeves due to the chilly weather and it came with a royal ruby red cape. Her long brown hair had been curled and fell down her back, fashion only with a gold tiara with fake red rubies. That was the only accessory to her costume that was cheap. Her makeup was simple minus the tinted red lips.

Gerard grinned as she sashayed over to him. Bestowing her a regal bow, he complimented her costume. “You look beautiful, oh fair Princess.”

Venetia giggled and jumped in place. “Daaaaddy! You sound funny!”

“I’m just playing the part.” Gerard stated, noting the eagerness in her eyes for candy. “I’ll be done in a minute and we’ll get ready to go.”

“Hurr-reeee!” Lorenzo whined from the living room, having located his fake machete with the fake flowing blood encased in it. He swung it around impatiently, his mouth watering for some Reese’s Cups.

“Yeah yeah yeah.” Gerard drawled, sitting himself down at the kitchen table to paint himself. Jovani and Venetia gathered to watch him transform himself into Darth Nihilus. It really didn’t take much but painting around his eyes, nose, and from his mouth down to his neck. His hair was held back by the secured hood and so it didn’t get in the way when he put his mask on and turned to look down at his kids. “What do you think?”

Both kids gasped, having scrambled up from the floor to jerk back from him. They clearly didn’t like it. Jovani shook his head and mumbled. “No!”

Swiftly taking the mask off, Gerard mentally cursed. He didn’t want to terrify his kids to death. Glancing to Venetia, he decided to put his focus on her since she’d be trick or treating tonight with him and not Jovani. “Princess, I need you to be brave for daddy. Okay? This is only a costume, it’s pretend. I’m still daddy underneath it. Here, take the mask.”

Venetia glanced down at his mask and then stepped back again when he extended it out for her to touch. At her father’s further coaxing, she took the mask in her trembling hands. But nothing happened. Looking up at him with wide eyes, she said. “It no hurt me.”

“See. It’s just a mask, almost like a toy. Do you think if I wear it tonight you’ll be okay?” Gerard inquired, not noticing Frank rounding the corner only to stall in step to watch them with interest.

“I don kno.” Venetia shrugged her shoulders, her eyes looking down at the mask again.

“Here, let me put it on and we’ll see.” Gerard proposed, taking the mask back from her tiny hands. Placing it back on, he looked down at her and asked. “So, how do you feel now? Are you still scared of daddy?”

Venetia’s eyes widened, but she didn’t turn and run from him this time.

Jovani did. He let out a whimper and sprinted off on flimsy legs for his mommy who scooped him up with a laugh. Frank rubbed Jovani’s back as he let his presence be known.” What’s going on in here?”

“They might be too scared of the mask for me to wear.” Gerard notified him, looking to Frank who had yet to put his Boba Fett helmet on all night.

“Oh, come on! It’s super cool, dude!” Frank lamented with a pout. Curious, he called towards the living room. “Lorenzo, come here!”

Lorenzo raced in with his machete and hockey mask on. “Yes, mommy?”

“Look at your daddy’s costume and tell me what you think of it.” Frank instructed him.

Glancing over, Lorenzo scanned him up and down. “Ooo scawy.” Then he shrugged it off and looked up to his mother, begging. “Mommy, candee time now?”

Frank looked to his daughter who was still unsure. “It’s alright, baby. It’s just daddy under there. Look at your brother, he isn’t even scared of him so you shouldn’t be either. You can do this, Netia, I know you can. Snow White wouldn’t be scared by this guy with his silly looking mask, now would she?”