I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 200: I Wanted To Ask You If...

On one of Gerard’s days off, he entered the house from the backyard, short of breath from the rounds of games he’d engaged in with his children. The laughs and shouts of the youngsters echoed from behind him as he shut the sliding glass door, his unsettled mind blaring through his concentration too often for him to overlook this harassing dilemma. As the four bundles of energy proceeded on with their fantasy game outside, Gerard, dressed up as a wizard, set aside his cheap magical crystal staff to quietly head into the living room.

Frank had just gotten the crying twins, Marcella and Ophelia, to sleep in their rocking chairs. Grinning from this almost unattainable achievement, he straightened up and spotted his wizardry husband enter. His grin only got bigger as his eyes perused the tall sexy wizard that he was hell-bent to flirt with. “Mmm, now who conjured up such a GILF in my castle?”

Gerard could only manage a soft chuckle at his joke from beneath his long gray beard because his anxiety was weighing so mightily on his shoulders. Only a little blotted away with his husband’s flirting.

Stepping into his husband’s path, Frank snaked his arms around his middle and tilted his head up to whisper seductively to his lips. “And I ain’t lying about that either. I bet that cock under those robes is the missing Excalibur to my stone, if you get my drift.”

Traditionally, Gerard would play along with Frank’s little flirting games, but right now, he didn’t have it in him. His mind was a whirlwind of anxiety due to his wish to get his husband and brother to get along with each other so Michael could see his nieces and nephews freely. For weeks he’d been trying to figure out a way to bring the matter up with his husband but each time he got terrified of it affecting their relationship. But now that his birthday was coming up soon, Gerard figured that if there was a good time to ask his husband about it, it would be now. Frank couldn’t possibly remain angry with him on his own birthday, right?

Grabbing a hold of his husband’s upper arm, Gerard gently extricated the younger horny male off of him with a look of remorse. “Not now, baby. I’m really not feeling it today.”

Frank felt his heart drop down into his stomach, his smile vanishing from his face in the blink of an eye as his hazel eyes gape up at his husband. Something was wrong. And it was dead serious. “Gee…what’s wrong? You’ve never turn down my sex talk before.”

Instead of running with his tail between his legs like he’s been doing for the past few weeks almost to a month now, Gerard propelled himself into the spotlight to profess his inner desire. Scratching his head through the big wizard hat with its long fake stringy silver hair glued around the rim, Gerard glanced around as if there were other people around other than them that would overhear their conversation. “Um, can I…can I talk to you about something? It’s important.”

With waning knees threatening to crumble, Frank blinked stupidly up at Gerard as if he didn’t understand a word he had just said. Shaking himself from his daze, he nodded to him and then led him towards the couches where they both took a seat beside each other.

Gerard swepted the wizard hat off of his head and set it on the empty spot on the couch next to him with a depressed sigh.

Seeing the stress written across his husband’s face, Frank began to feel even more concerned. Turning in his seat to face him, he inquired softly. “So, um, what do you wanna talk about?”

Turning his head to look at his husband, Gerard noticed the worry in his big hazel eyes, and it enlarged his heart with even more love for him. He was truly concerned for him and he had no idea what was even the problem yet. Being loved so thoroughly was something Gerard didn’t take for granted, EVER. He only hoped Frank’s love for him would run just as profoundly when he asked him this vital question. “Well…my birthday is coming up pretty soon…”

Smiling briefly at that stimulating reminder, Frank nodded. “I know, Gee.”

“And I…” Gerard began, his body perspiring beneath his wizard robes.

“And you…what?” Frank inquired, his brows furrowing together as he watched his husband closely, trying to read the expressions shifting across his face but they were too brisk to discern.

“I wanted to ask you if…” Gerard managed to get out before once again, his words stopped flowing. It then sunk in that this request might be too hopeless for him to ask. But he had to do it! He couldn't let his brother down again!

With his brows furrowing further, Frank recited. “To ask me…?”

“To ask you if…” Gerard’s voice cut off again just as he looked to his husband. The frustration was likely showing on his face because Frank’s face weakened with pity. It only made him agitated at how pathetic he was being. He growled beneath his breath as his hands curled into fists on his lap. “Goddamnit!”

Before either one of them could speak any further, the back door cracked open. The couple peeked over the couch to see it was Lorenzo who had tried to open the door for his brother Milo who was crying.

“MOMMY!” Milo wailed into the house from the crack in the back sliding door before trying to cram himself inside. Oh no, he was crying!

“GEE!” Frank called to his husband who already knew how this was going to end as Milo ran inside howling at the tip top of his lungs.

“ON IT!” Gerard assured him as he literally hurtled over the couch to capture Milo up into his arms just in time before he made it into the living room. Without a word he hurriedly took him outside and tried to console him there while ordering his oldest. “Renzo, shut the door! NOW!”

Lorenzo complied like a soldier receiving orders from his commander in chief. With all his might, he shoved the door closed again before facing his dad alongside his two other attentive siblings.

Gerard rubbed Milo’s back and rocked him in order to soothe him. From inside he could hear the shrill cries of the twins that Frank had to deal with on his own. Right now, Gerard just wanted answers for this disruption. Facing Sir Knighted Lorenzo, Princess Venetia and the ferocious little Dragon Jovani, Gerard spoke in a calm voice, needing to earn their cooperation. “What happened while I was inside, huh? Why is your little brother crying?”

“Jovani pushed him off the play set!” Venetia snitched like she was renowned for doing to her siblings.

“Jovani, is that true?” Gerard inquired of his scaly son who stood trembling in fear of getting in trouble though he couldn’t give anyone an answer as to why he’d be. Receiving a shaky nod from him, Gerard asked him next. “Why did you push your brother off the playset? You know that can hurt someone.”

“But I dragin and he squirt.” Jovani explained in his defense. Dragons hurt Squires so he didn’t understand why him doing the same was a bad thing. He was supposed to be a dragon.

“Squire or not, you have to be careful with your little brother just like Lorenzo and Venetia are careful with you. If you guys can’t play nice then you can’t play this game anymore, do you understand me?” Gerard declared, earning a round of whines and objections. “I SAID, do you understand?!”

The kids went silent. The only sound heard were Milo’s whimpers in the crook of his dad’s neck as he clung to him. “We understand.”

Lowering Milo onto his feet, Gerard crouched beside him and beckoned Jovani forward. “Apologize to your brother for pushing him.”

“I sorry for push you.” Jovani told Milo softly, fiddling with the hem of his dragon costume.

“Milo, do you accept his apology?” Gerard nudged his little one who was wiping his tears.

Milo nodded, sniffling back his tears. “Yes.”

“Okay then, that’s what mommy and daddy like to see! Good job for apologizing, Jovani. We’re all proud of you for that.” Gerard praised his second youngest with pride, placing a large hand on his tiny shoulder.

Uncertain, Jovani nodded before blurting out with confusion. “Why am I sorry? I no get it. I’m a dragon.”