I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 219: Able to Fume

Reaching into his jean’s back pocket that he wore to work that day, Gerard retrieved one of the pens from the bookstore he forgot to return back. Urgently, he dropped the pen in the black envelope in place of the pregnancy test that was mailed to Frank from Pastel, and set it back on the counter where his husband had dropped it to tend to their hysterical kids. Frank hadn’t gotten a chance to see that there was a pregnancy stick within the envelope and a note that claimed it was Gerard’s baby. The children had an accident in the living room that warded off Frank from ever having a look, and so Gerard was alone to distinguish the truth of the letter and then contrive on what to do with it next.

And so he switched the pregnancy test that was now in his pocket for the pen. They were both similar in length so Gerard felt that the pen would make a convincing stand-in.

Rejoining the pandemonium that was occurring in the living room, Gerard rushed over to Frank who had a crying wounded Milo in his arms. When the kids had been playing around while the parents were in the kitchen, the youngest boy had stepped on his brother’s hot wheels and fell to the floor, hurting his knees and gaining a tiny miniscule cut on his arm. His unruly sobbing had awoken his twin sisters, Marcella and Ophelia, in their swing chairs and compelled them to cry too. Three screaming children going off at once permeated the household.

“Hey, little man. It’s okay, daddy’s here!” Gerard cooed to a red-faced, tear-stricken Milo who wailed up at him. While Frank continued to rock him, Gerard applied the band-aid he’d gone to fetch on his son’s cut gingerly, then bent down to give it a kiss for successful healing. “There you go, good as new!

Milo didn’t seem to think so. In his little over dramatic mind, his life was forever changed for the worst, and would never be the same again. Desperately needing sympathy, he stretched his short chubby arms out to his father, wanting to be held by him so he could believe everything was as alright as the elder seemed to think so.

“Looks like he wants his daddy.” Frank smiled, handing their youngest son over to his husband so he could now manage the wailing twins. “I’ll get started on the girls while you make him feel better.”

“I’ll come back soon.” Gerard vowed to him as he rubbed Milo’s back to reduce his tears, whispering words of comfort as his son nuzzled his face into his chest and fisted his shirt in his tiny hands. It took awhile for him to be calm, but soon he was set back on his feet, and Gerard was once again racing off to settle another child in need. Swooping down to gather Ophelia in his arms while Frank cradled Marcella, each couple rocked the bundles of joy, slimming their worries and fears away with their loving kisses and attentions.

Wandering into the kitchen to divide the crying babies apart, Gerard checked on dinner only to see the rice was boiling over on the stove, making a hissing sound. Cursing under his breath, he took the handle of the burning pot with one hand while rocking a whimpering Ophelia in the other and slid it to the cooled burner next to it that wasn’t in use. The bubbling water immediately stopped. Cupping a hand behind Ophelia’s tiny little head that could fit in the palm of his hand, Gerard hailed out to Frank who was still in the living room while walking in circles. “Dinner is ready!”

Glancing up from kissing the tiny red face of Marcella, Frank glanced at his four other kids back to playing with their toys again and instructed them. “Hey, all of you put your toys aside so no one trips on them! It’s dinner time.”

Now that the crisis was finally over, Frank set a calmer Marcella in her swing chair and returned to the kitchen for Ophelia as the other four older kids went about setting their toys aside. He was distracted once again when he rounded the counter and saw the black opened envelope. He had completely forgotten about it in the midst of all the chaos. Picking it back up, he dug into the letter to retrieve the mystery item inside and produced a…pen?

Gerard watched him carefully while preparing the plates with one hand.

“Huh…now why would someone think to send me a pen?” Frank frowned to himself as he turned it over. It was an ordinary pen. No address, or numbers or advertisement printed on it.

Keeping his mouth shut as if to appear he hadn’t been paying any attention, Gerard went back into the living room to put Ophelia in her swing chair so he could get back his other hand. With a kiss on her little head and a few coos, he left her to return to the kitchen to portion off the rest of dinner.

Frank was waiting for his return with the pen in hand and a curious look on his face. “Gee, does getting a pen in the mail mean anything to you? Like, I don’t know…is this something kids are starting to do these days for fun or to be cool?”

Understanding why his husband was asking him that question, Gerard answered with a shrug. “Honestly, I don’t have a clue. You’d think I would, considering I spend a lot of time around the youth in the bookstore.”

“That’s exactly why I waited around here to ask you!” Frank giggled, coming up behind his husband to wrap his arms around his waist and press a kiss to his back. “And also because you’re so damn sexy and I like to look at you every chance I get. Are you gonna want help with all of that, hubster?”

Before Gerard could accept his offer, the twin girls began to make some noises in their swing chairs. They were becoming fussy over something and from what he could hear it wasn’t due to their older siblings bothering them.

“I got dinner, you tend to my little fairy and mermaid before they get to crying all over again.” Gerard instructed his husband before pressing a kiss to the top of his head for good luck.

“You got it!” Frank complied, leaving his side to walk past the dining area where the kids had set aside the last of their toys so no one else would trip over them, and were now lingering by the dining table in wait to be told what to do next.

Now that he was alone again, Gerard was able to fume.

Fume about Pastel.

First that deranged woman had the balls to break into HIS home and leave ultrasound photos of hers in plain sight on HIS marriage bed he shared with HIS husband!

Then she showed up at his front door unannounced with the intention of snitching on him to his husband about their so-called relationship!

And now, she’s mailed a pregnancy stick inscribed only to Frank!

Pastel was no longer trying to tango with just Gerard alone here, now she was trying to move on to his goddamn husband who would obviously find their whole past relationship and this newfound pregnancy an unforgivable act from his husband!

It didn’t matter that Gerard and Pastel were no longer fooling around anymore, the bottom line was that he fathered a whole living secret baby with someone else!

Frank Iero would absolutely divorce Gerard and take the kids so far away from him he’d likely never see their little faces ever again!

No.

No, that won’t ever happen, not under Gerard’s watch!

Gerard went through hellfire for this goddamn family of his, cleaning up his Killjoy, murderous, violent act along the way too. The decisions, and moves he made back in his past when he was Poison of the Killjoys were NOT about to come back and demolish everything up. There was no way in hell Gerard was gonna sit by and give it a slither of a chance to!

Unfortunately, his brother, Michael, was dead right. Greard was gonna have to kill Pastel the second he got a clear chance to. Screw being Mr. Nice Guy!

But until that opportunity presented itself, Gerard wasn’t gonna sit around with his feet propped up. He was gonna be solely in charge of retrieving the mail. It’s not like Frank was gonna pick a fight over it, not with the many kids demanding his attention every minute of every day. Having six children turned out to be a godsend it would seem, because now Gerard had a distraction to keep himself vigilant.