I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 227: Two Down

Racing through the midnight darkness, Gerard boosted the speed of his car towards the location where Masika was last. Luckily for him, there were barely any cars on the road at this time of night and so the concern of getting into a fatal collision never crossed his mind as his tires rammed through the bodies of waters that formed on the road during the thunderstorm. The only thing on his mind was getting to the pregnant Masika as fast as he possibly could before the Killjoys got their hands on her first. Pregnant or not, nothing would deter them from taking her life if that was what they desired to do.

Gerard couldn’t believe he didn’t see this all coming sooner. Or perhaps there was some sort of denial in him that made him stupidly believe it wouldn’t really happen at all considering the fact that the victim in question was their own leader, Kobra, in the flesh. Gerard couldn’t recall a time he ever sat himself down to question what IF the Killjoys had decided to one day turn on their prominent leader.

Now look what happened!

Michael, his little brother who always had his back through everything and anything, and kept him from being identified and thrown in jail, could be dead this very minute by the hands of what was his former family. An image of his brother’s bloody and amputated body on the floor flickered into the forefront of Gerard’s mind, making him urge himself to quickly banish it away as he stomped his boot down on the gas pedal.

Hell, if the Killjoys wanted blood spilled tonight then it would have to be Gerard’s, not his little brother’s.

Taking a deep breath, Gerard tried to focus all of his mind and senses getting to the old abandoned gas station first and foremost. Everything else will come second. All these ‘what if’ factors will only serve to fracture his concentration and intensify his emotions, thus resulting in the deaths of both Masika and his brother. He needed to be at his best if he were going to get them out alive. In the dead of night, Gerard wasn’t gonna allow himself to think of his family and his husband, or any of the ‘what ifs’.

But of course, Gerard couldn’t resist a single moment of thinking of his husband. Frankie made his displeasure of his decision very loud and clear tonight, but he couldn’t stand around and argue his case. Michael and Masika needed him, and there was no one else in the world Gerard trusted most to save them, but himself.

Soon, the sight of a small, old, and uninhabited gas station came into view on Gerard’s right, ending all thoughts of his short delectable husband. Instinctively becoming alert, he counted about two very conspicuous cars in the parking lot, each with their lights and ignition off. As he eased his own car into a parking lot on the opposite side of the gas station from them, his light brown eyes picked up two dark silhouettes emerging from in between the two parked cars and then another silhouette by the entrance of the gas station. As soon as Gerard’s car had turned into the parking lot, the one by the entrance straightened up from where he was leaning against the large boarded up windows and began to pursue his car on foot to find out who he was and what he was doing there.

To buy himself some time, Gerard purposely parked his car all the way in the back of the parking lot, furthest from the entrance to the gas station. Yanking down his sun visor to slide back the mirror, Gerard kept his eyes on the man striding towards his vehicle, his hand clenching onto something as he strode over with a deadly purpose. Without breaking eye contact, Gerard slipped his Killjoys mask, becoming Poison. It may have stood out against his all black ensemble, but that wasn’t the point to all this.

Poison waited for his first victim to get close enough to his car before exiting his vehicle, his hands hovering over his sides where his various collection of hidden knives were strapped to him as well as to his thighs. Facing his target, Poison could now see that this dark silhouette was actually wearing a clown mask that stupidly had the word ‘Killjoy’ boldly branded in black on the forehead for all the world to see!

What the hell?

Not recognizing the Killjoy mask belonging to THE Poison himself, the gutsy Clown Mask intrepidly barked at Poison. “HEY! You better get the hell out of here, man, or else you’re gonna find yourself in a whole lot of trouble you don’t want!”

Poison, who had been slowly moving towards Clown Mask, didn’t break a step as he strode over to get close to this fool. “Actually, I was counting on it.”

With such fluid motions that stunned Clown Mask to freeze in place, Poison unsheathed both of his bowie knives from his side, and helped himself to slicing the man with two long diagonal strokes across his front from the top of his torso to the bottom.

“AHH!” Clown Mask cried out as he stumbled back and fell to the ground on his back. One arm came up to shield his face from any further harm as he propped himself up on his other arm and tried to crawl backwards, attempting to get away but, sadly, at the slowest speed possible.

Not allowing Clown Mask another opportunity to make another sound, Poison launched himself down onto the larger male, and this time impaled his bowie knives cleanly through the man’s chest. Clown Mask below him could only spout out a grunt in a final verbal response, his chest jerking off the ground a little before falling back onto the asphalt, dead.

Removing his knives from Clown Mask’s chest, Poison swiftly straightened back up and then made a sprint for the shaded side of the gas station just in case someone did hear Clown Mask’s cry before he was silenced for good. When he heard no one coming, Poison hunched himself down so he could spy into the gas station in between the boards on the windows. Due to the moving beams of lights within, he confirmed that there were more of the morons inside the gas station looking for Masika…with flashlights. Poison couldn’t fight the frown of irritation on his face at this other red flag.

Killjoys did NOT use flashlights in the dark. They trusted in the one thing every human had, their own natural night vision and hearing! This error popped one question into Poison’s mind.

Were these idiots even Killjoys to begin with?

From a distance, Poison picked up on a couple of voices from the parking lot on the other side of the gas station. They were calling a name that sounded like ‘Twisted’. Glancing to his left where Clown Mask laid dead, Poison easily put two and two together. Clown Mask’s name was Twisted.

As one of the voices got louder due to it coming closer, Poison kept himself down and out of view of even the boarded windows as he made his stealthy way towards the front of the gas station. He was hoping to meet up with whomever was coming and oust them next without any unwanted commotion. When he made it to the end, Poison straightened up and patiently waited for his next victim to either round the corner to meet him, or get close enough to the corner so he could nab them unnoticed.

“Hey, Twisted!” The scuffing of shoes could be heard along the asphalt as this mystery person got closer and closer to Poison’s hiding spot.

Turning his head to peek around the corner, Poison spotted a tall lanky guy coming into view wearing a long white bandana on the lower half of his face that stretched down his neck. Bandana Boy didn’t appear to have noticed Poison since he was staring down at his hands. In one of them, he had what looked to be an old school police baton he was tapping down into the open palm of his other hand. Relieved his weapon of choice wasn’t something as loud as a gun, Poison stepped around the corner to grab two fistfuls of the Bandana Boy’s dark tank top to drag him back around his corner and against the same wall of the gas station he had his back to only seconds ago.

The clatter of the police baton falling to the ground echoed into the night before Poison drove bowie knife after bowie knife into Bandana Boy’s torso with such speed one would expect from a starving mountain lion. He didn’t stop stabbing him until the kid was sliding down the wall in a pool of his own blood, streaks of red on the wall tracing his descent. Only when Bandana Boy was dead did Poison step back to catch his breath.

Two down.

But how many to go?

Poison then realized that it was impractical for him to sneak past the gas station to the other parking lot to kill the other targets over there. All that would do was take up more time that he could utilize in finding Masika sooner rather than later. Pressing his body back up against the gas station, Poison slowly rounded the corner again but this time in search of the ones in the other parking lot. He spotted the two people that were once silhouettes having a smoke by the car, the glow of one cigarette barely illuminating a bubblegum pink mask with glitter appearing to sprinkle down from the top. The shape of the mask was the first one Poison came across tonight that confirmed that these morons were indeed Killjoy…only they weren’t at the same time according to his level of knowledge and expertise.