I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 23: Second Target

“Shit, he knows.” Drummer mumbled beneath his breathe, but everyone in the car heard him.

Poison only nodded in agreement to what he said while Jet let out a quick but unsteady sigh. “We need to get over there and kill him before he has time to reach any form of a telephone.”

Poison studied their surroundings. “We can beat him to any payphone even from our distance, but if he’s up with the times and has a cellphone on him…I can’t be too sure we’ll be able to make it in time before he calls 911.”

“We need to try!” Jet exclaimed to the others.

Poison nodded in agreement. “Alright Jet, it’s gonna be you and me. Drummer, head to the bathroom and make sure Dash doesn’t kill the first target, you got that?”

“Got it.” Drummer nodded, not caring to ask Poison why he wanted to keep the first target alive when they were ordered to eliminate her.

“Let’s go, Poison.” Jet informed him before the both of them slipped out of the car. As they both headed over to their second target’s car, they made sure to appear like two harmless buddies that were having a hilarious conversation with each other while randomly pushing each other away to let out a rambunctious laugh. Jet was taller than Poison, and whenever he pushed him aside with the ease of friendship, Poison had to make sure the fake brown wig he was wearing wouldn’t fall of to reveal his vibrate red hair, in case the locals were glancing by. The cops would be able to spot him easily in a crowd with his signature red hair, which would prompt him to have to dye it black again. As they got closer to the car, they could see that the old man had fallen for their harmless ‘two best friends having a good old time’ act and was now desperately rummaging through his car for something important. Jet and Poison both believe the driver was either looking for a weapon to protect himself from his paranoid thoughts or a cellphone to call the police about the kidnapping. Whichever one it was, the two Killjoys weren’t going to let the old man find it before they got a chance to get to him.

In a flash that was even too difficult for the old man to comprehend, Jet had opened the passenger door and had slipped into the seat beside him. Before the old man could say anything, Jet had pressed the button to unlock all the doors in the car; giving Poison access to slip into the back behind the driver’s seat.

“Wh-What are y-you kids doing in my car?!” The old man struggled to say with the lump of fear in his throat.

Neither of the Killjoys responded to him. Instead, Jet reached over to grab the back of the old man’s head and bashed his face down into the steering wheel two times before letting him go. The old man cried out in pain before his head came flying back onto the head rest of his seat from the force of his beating. It was Poison’s turn now. Reaching over, Poison wrapped one arm around the old man’s neck in a chokehold and pulled one of his smaller knives out, pressing it against his wrinkly neck.

Poison had only one thing that’s been running through his mind since his return home from murdering a runaway, and it was Frank’s whereabouts. It was obvious that Frank wasn’t with them. So where else could he be? “Don’t scream, or you’ll be choking on your blood faster than you can blink. Do you understand?”

The old man nodded weakly, as the tears he was fighting to hold back trickled down his cheeks.

“Good.”

“Dude, what are you doing?” Jet asked his partner curiously, wondering why he hadn’t killed their second target yet like they were supposed to. It wasn’t like this mission was something the Killjoys hadn’t done before. In fact, they’ve done this dozens of times. Yet all of a sudden, Poison was changing the rules of the games.

“Shut up, dude. Now old man, I have one question, and if you don’t answer honestly, then I’ll have fucking slice your throat open like a fucking pig, am I clear?” Poison question him menacingly.

The old man nodded much more eagerly this time since there now seemed like he might have a chance to live if he only cooperated.

“Where is the young kid that was with her? He’s a Caucasian male with dark brown hair, and hazels eyes. Was he with the girl you just picked up? Did you drop him off somewhere else?” Poison asked him impatiently, waiting for an answer.

“DUDE, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?” Jet exclaimed in disbelief and urgency.

“I said shut the FUCK up! Answer my question, old man, or I’ll take your life.” Poison demanded, ignoring Jet and his disapproving glare.

“I-I-I’ve never saw a boy with her, sir. She ju-just came out of the woods on her own! I swear it!” The old man promised sincerely.

Poison could tell the old man was telling the truth, and was grateful for the honesty, but either way, it didn’t change the fact that he was already the second target and would have to be dealt with accordingly. “Answer me this, are you married, sir?”

The old man shook his head, recalling the mournful memories of his late wife. “No, my…my wife died last year from cancer. I-I was too late to tell her I-I loved her and always will before she passed.”

Poison remained silent for a moment. “You should be with her then.”

Jet flinched as Poison shoved his knife so deep into the old man’s neck, he was instantly killed. He let out a sigh of relieve that the second target had been killed, but that didn’t mean he was going to let Poison off the hook that easily without scolding him. Jet opened his mouth to say something to him when Poison quickly stepped out of the car and started heading towards the bathrooms where Dash and the first target were.

Jet got halfway out of the car. “Whoa whoa whoa, Poison! Where the hell are you going to now? You can’t just walk away, we’re not DONE here.”

“I told you before, I need to interrogate our first target.” Poison reminded him over his shoulder. Unfortunately, as soon as he got close enough to the bathroom Dash emerged with some blood on his shirt. Poison stopped in his track as he stared at the red liquid on his black shirt. Drummer appeared behind Dash with a duffle bag that contain their first target inside. It didn’t take a genius to know that the only tie to Frank was now dead inside that bag.

“You sonofabitch!” Poison saw red for a moment and stepped forward to put his hand on Dash to beat the hell out of him for killing his only lead to Frank, but then a towering Drummer stepped in-between them to prevent any fight from happening, as he was instructed to do.

“Oh would you just give up and move the fuck on!? Jesus Christ!” Dash shouted at him from the other side of Drummer.

“Fuck you, you fucking ‘My Little Pony’ douche bag! I’ll beat your ass black and blue if it wasn’t for this behemoth protecting your bitch ass!” Poison shouted from the other side. With no way of getting to Dash with Drummer protecting the both of them from each other, Poison decided to give up on beating Dash’s ass and instead go look for Frank somewhere in the woods. Letting out a deep growl, Poison turned on his heel and strode away towards the tree line. Drummer noticed that the direction Poison was headed wasn’t close to their car, and the other car Jet was still sitting in.

“Wait a minute, where are you going, Poison?” Drummer called after him.

“To get back what’s mine!” Poison answered as he turned to his right to follow along the side of the road. He wasn’t sure where Frank could be in the vast forest, but he had a few guesses as to where to start looking.

Jet and Drummer both exchanged a look to one another before agreeing to move on with the plan without Poison. Jet got out of the car and forced the old man’s body off of the driver side and into the passenger side so he could take the car to their secret junkyard. Drummer and Dash stashed the duffle back in the trunk before following Jet in the other car.

Neither parties stopped to assist for Poison in his search or to look out for Black Opal. They had already completed the mission that they were ordered to do, and that was that. If Poison and Black Opal just so happens to find each other out in the wilderness somewhere, it would be up to them alone to find their way back to the Killjoy’s house.