I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 238: Ocean of Corn

With two pairs of double barrel sawed-off shotguns holstered to each thigh and another two 12-gauge shotguns strapped to their backs, all pinched from the Killjoy’s residence in the woods, the Way brothers tracked the Killjoys to their present position. In the pitch black they both took cover within the shelter of a boundless cornfield belonging to an enormous wooden farmhouse in a far-flung rural area. Now, whether the owners of the property remained hostages inside, or were terminated and dumped elsewhere still remained to be seen.

Michael honestly never imagined that the Killjoys would pack their bags and transfer to another location after he and his brother escaped from their domain in the woods, and so when they returned to the scene of the crime, the place had been emptied in a hurry. Michael’s instincts were telling him that they wouldn’t have fled too far from their previous location. Lucky for them, the Way brothers were outstanding trackers and were able to trail them to the farmhouse. It turned out Michael’s instincts had been right, they hadn’t gone far from the woods.

Of all the places the Killjoys could’ve chosen to stake claim as their own, they chose the first structure that they came upon which was another thing Michael taught them all NOT to do! It made it too easy for anyone that was pursuing them to catch up! Scrolling through his phone from where he was crouched on the ground, his eyes skimmed through the article on the property’s history. It stated that the recent former owners were an older couple that died of natural causes. The house was left to their children who were too heartbroken to do anything with it so they all deserted it for mother nature to take back. Scanning the farmhouse, Michael felt certain the place looked familiar to him. The longer he looked at it, the more certain they had been here before. Likely the group had squatted at this very farmhouse before they found that house in the woods.

In the depth of the night, Poison peered past the many corn stalks blocking his view of the individuals hanging outside on the front porch. The fools were too busy chatting instead of keeping a look out like a trained Killjoy would! But that’s where his brother’s claim that these weren’t real Killjoys fell most true. Out of all the people on the front porch, Poison didn’t recognize a single soul except for Citrus and Basil. Frowning, he whispered over his shoulder to his little brother. “Hey, Kobra. Do you recognize any of these fucking pricks other than Orange Head and Sour Apple?”

Coming over to crouch alongside Poison, Kobra scrutinized the many figures on the porch before shaking his head. “No, not everyone. I know Hedge and K-Mart though.”

Deeply offended by the discomfiting Killjoys names he’s been hearing of as of late, Poison gave his brother a spiteful look behind his mask. “K-Mart? Are you fucking kidding me, man?”

“The fucking guy likes K-Mart, what the hell do you want from me, Poison? I don’t pick the names, you know this already!” Kobra huffed, rolling his eyes in mutual bitterness. It’s not like he was the one that came up with everyone’s codename when they first started. Sure, he was the leader of the Killjoys, but he didn’t name anyone anything! “Now, can we please focus on the mission at hand?”

Needing to let this infernal matter go for his own sanity’s sake, Poison impatiently proposed their next step. “Fine. I say we go over there right now and gun down these assholes down into ground beef.”

“No! I don’t want anyone on the inside to hear any gunshots or else they might make their escape or stand their ground to outnumber us.” Kobra resisted, being the logical thinker of the two. His brother was good for brash, chaotic assignments. But when it came to thinking step-by-minuscule-step, then that was Kobra’s time to shine. Narrowing his eyes on the throng of Killjoys on the porch, he came up with another option. “I think we should lure them here into the cornfield towards us and pick them off with our blades one by one. If we can do it just right, we’ll be able to kick down the front door and go on that shooting rampage that I know you’ve been dying to go on since we got here.”

Restless with Kobra’s more stagnant moving plan, Poison frowned. “No way, that’s way too fucking boring and long!”

“I knew you’d say that.” Kobra sighed with another eye roll. His brother was always so damn impatient to spill blood and increase his personal body count number. That’s why Michael had to become Kobra and come up with the Killjoys in order to sate his brother’s hunger for death as covertly as he could. Without him, his brother would’ve been lethally injected years ago!

Despising that Kobra’s plan was likely the best possible direction for them to succeed, Poison let out a growl before throwing in the towel. “Okay, fine! We’ll do it your way then. So how do we go about luring them into the cornfield, genius?”

Pondering on that astute question, Kobra finally came up with a solution. When they had been making their way through the sea of corn to get to the farmhouse earlier, they passed by an abandoned tractor near the outer edge of the cornfield. Glancing Poison’s way, Kobra inquired. “Do you happen to know how to hotwire a tractor?”

“A tractor?” Poison repeated in bewilderment, not following where his brother was going with this plan of his.

“Yeah, specifically the one we passed by one our way into the cornfield.” Kobra reminded Poison, aiding in jogging his memory. “Look, if we can at least get its fucking horn to go off or turn on some other kind of alert system it has, it’ll draw those backstabbing dumbasses straight to us! Are you following me?”

“I like it.” Poison concurred with an agreeable nod. Now that he remembered the very tractor his brother was hoping to use as a key to his plan, he could easily recall its exact location in this ocean of corn. “Be seeing you soon.”

“And be stealthy about it!” Kobra hissed after Poison as the older of the two began to skulk back into the hidden shadows of the cornfield. It was imperative for his brother to keep himself well hidden or else this plan will take a very bloody and deadly turn that he wished to avoid. Kobra wasn’t opposed to a bloodbath every now and then, don’t get him wrong, but during his time as leader he’s learned that there is always a time and place for that kind of business. His brother, however, still hasn’t got that through his stubborn head.

It took awhile for Poison to complete the task he was sent out to do. The tractor was old and needed some time to come to life, and when it finally did the quiet night with its low conversation was sliced open by the loud blaring sound of the tractor’s horn going off.

From the front of the cornfield, Kobra watched closely as everyone on the porch bounded to alert, their eyes urgently scanning the cornfield in the direction of the repetitive beep of the tractor’s horn. But what he’d been waiting to see and hadn’t expected to see so soon was Dash in the flesh bursting through the front door to join the others on the porch. His peeved eyes too went right past Kobra and into the cornfield before turning towards the other members on the front porch that were supposed to be on watch. “WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON OUT THERE!?”

Dash’s reactions finally confirmed Kobra’s suspicions. He was most definitely the new appointed leader of the Killjoys. That also explained why these new mystery Killjoys positively sucked too! Where he was clearly shouting at them like a loud drill sergeant ready to clock them in the face at any given moment, Kobra had always spoken to them firmly so they knew he was serious, but also at low respectable volume because that’s what he wanted to earn, their undying respect. Receding back into the cornfield, Kobra was set and ready to follow the group of Killjoys to the tractor where he and his brother plan to ambush them.

“WELL, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ALL STANDING AROUND FOR!? GO OUT THERE AND SHUT THAT DAMN THING OFF!” Dash roared at his team, watching them scramble off the porch and towards the cornfield. The stragglers felt the wrath of their leader when he forcefully shoved them off the porch and nearly to the ground had they not got their footing at the last minute. With fire in his eyes, Dash watched them go before turning around and stomping back into the farmhouse, boisterously slamming the front door.

As the grumbling Killjoys made their way down the wide length dirt driveway next to the cornfield, Kobra stealthily followed them at a distance while keeping himself under the cover of the corn. They ran at first, but as soon as they heard the front door of the farmhouse slam shut, they glanced over their shoulder to confirm their leader was gone and then shortened their speed to a fast walk towards the tractor. Considering how loud these Killjoys were, Kobra didn’t have to be as careful and stealthy as he thought he had to be which made it too easy to keep up with them. He did so anyway cause it’s so instilled in him to do so.

“Geez, what’s up the boss’s ass, man?” Hedge snapped to K-Mart who was fast walking alongside him.

“I have no clue! Just…just try and stay out of his way, okay?” K-Mart exhorted Hedge and the others that were new like him. He couldn’t stress enough that Dash was a deadly leader that had an incredibly short fuse. He was the exact opposite of the former leader, Kobra, at least from what he’s heard.