I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 245: Divorce His Husband

It’s dawn when Frank finally emerges from his bedroom with an empty laundry basket in his hands. Unaware if his husband and brother-in-law had returned from their little midnight incursion against their Killjoy family or not, he snuck down the stairs on noiseless feet in the dark anyway. As he made his way into the cleared kitchen, he kept his hazel eyes out for any of the three Killjoys that were now residents of his home.

Yes, THREE Killjoys.

As far as Frank was concerned, his husband was now likely back to being an official member of the Killjoys! He hadn't been forced to meet up with one murderous gang member last night, but two of them! It didn’t matter what Gerard said about ending the Killjoys once and for all before he left. For all Frank knew, he was breaking bread with his ex-family over some baked three cheese Lasagna right now!

If Gerard Arthur Way honestly believed that Frank was gonna be absolutely fine with receiving the ENTIRE gang in his damn household where their children slept then he had another thing coming! In the worst-case scenario, the next step Frank would have to take would undoubtedly decimate his mind, body, and soul…but for the safety of his children, he would have to do it.

Frank would have to officially divorce his husband, Gerard.

For good.

And take full custody of their children in order to protect them.

The steps could be done with the snap of Frank's fingers. He was very confident he would attain full custody of their kids AND be allowed to legally keep them from their father’s reach. Hell, his mother would most definitely side with him and represent him in any way she could if that’s what it would take for him to win.

The problem was, was that Frank didn’t want to divorce his husband. It was never something he envisioned down the road in their marriage when he married Gerard in the courthouse the second he'd turned 18 and was made legal by law. The fear of his husband trying to hunt him down to murder him for ditching him and taking the kids wasn’t at all a severe possibility in Frank's mind. Gerard would never lay a hand on him, whether he chose to follow through with a divorce or not, the man trusted him to put the children’s welfare above their own.

The reason Frank didn’t want to toss their marriage away was that he still loved Gerard more than he’d ever loved anyone before. And he didn’t need a magic 8-ball to tell him he’ll never have a chance at this kind of love ever again, it was certainly one in a million. Anyone other than Gerard would be mediocre at best and Frank would spend the rest of his life tolerating them just for the sake of not being alone. The only way to be without Gerard is to bear the rest of his life without love. Not even a pack of the world’s hottest men competing for Frank’s love could pass the test because they simply weren’t Gerard Way.

Soundlessly, Frank opened the pantry door and began to stockpile some food for his children in the empty laundry basket. In a couple of hours, the oldest will begin to rise from their slumber with a hunger for breakfast. Frank spent all night not knowing what he was gonna do about his little ones until their father arrived. Unexpectedly and without warning, everything was tossed upside down overnight, and became just a huge mess for him to deal with on his own! It couldn’t happen at a worse time too! Frank had just been making a gradual attempt to get along with Gerard’s brother, Michael, and Masika to make his husband happy, but then all of a sudden they came barreling into their home to take residence in their goddamn guest suite all because of more Killjoys!?

One of the questions that plagued Frank all night long was what he was supposed to tell his kids about the strangers rambling about their home and eating their food?

No matter how many explanations Frank came up in his head, they all fell short! Normally, in a challenging time like this, he’d be leaning on his husband for direction but the man decided to run off into the night to rescue his brother on a suicide mission and hasn’t been heard of since!

In the midst of internally venting in his head while he concluded his foraging, Frank spotted something out of his peripheral vision. Slowly turning his head towards it, he gradually crept over the sliding back doors to look out a the fully furnished patio. At the sight of two dark figures lying on the outdoor couches, Frank’s eyes widen in muted shock. Freezing right there on the spot, he waited for either of them to make a move now that they were being watched but when they didn’t, he wondered if they were dead or asleep. There was only one way to find out.

Turning around, Frank went for the butcher block and pulled out the biggest sharpest knife in its sheath. Tiptoeing back to the locked glass-paned back door, he flipped the lights on on the patio and illuminated the two still figures.

Gerard and Michael!?

The two forms were sprawled on the couch in the freezing cold, and dripping wet. The sight made Frank let out an audible gasp and jump back into…someone else. Letting out another even louder gasp, Frank jerked forward away from the person, swiveled around with the large knife in his hand, and came face to face with a pale Masika. “Jesus Christ!”

Masika gasped too and jumped back from an armed Frank with her hands up in the air. Immediately, she apologized for making a blunder. “Oh my god, I’m sorry! I’m so sorry, Frank! I didn’t mean to sneak up on you like that!”

“Fuck!” Frank curses as he lowers the lethal weapon back down to his side. Running his hand through his disorderly hair, he lowered his voice back down to a whisper. “What the hell are you doing up so early?”

“I’m sorry, I just...” Masika whispered again, lowering her hands back down to wrap her arms around her slender frame. Dropping her brown eyes to the floor, she sorrowfully disclosed. “I can’t sleep knowing my man is out there somewhere in the cold, you know? I tried, but I can’t sit still.”

Deciding to give Masika some solace, Frank gestured with his thumb to the backdoor. “Well, look no further. He’s in the backyard.”

Masika’s head snapped up to gape at Frank with wide brown eyes, her mouth opening and closing before she uttered. “W-What?”

Letting Masika see for herself, Frank stepped aside so she could get the full view of the patio now illuminated by the outdoor light.

Gasping in shock, Masika covered her mouth with her hands before removing them to question Frank. “What…what the hell are they both doing out there?!”

“Your guess is as good as mine.” Frank shared, staring outside alongside her. They couldn’t leave the men out there, but neither did he want his husband returned to him upstairs. Figuring Masika owed him one, he glanced at her. “Hey, can I ask you for a favor?”

“Yes! Of course, anything!” Masika gleefully encouraged Frank, turning to face him with eyes shining with anticipation. Considering the man opened his door to her and her unborn child in their time of need, the sky was the limit when it came to requests from Frank Iero. “You helped me so I’ll help you.”

“I didn’t help you. My husband did.” Frank corrected her coldly, his expression so indifferent it seemed to take her by surprise. Returning his eyes to the two men outside on his patio, he nodded to them. “Can you help me get these two into the guest room before my kids wake up?”

“Yeah, absol-” Masika cut off midway to arch a brow at Frank. “Wait, them?”

“Yes, them.” Frank confirmed before unlocking the back door and leaving their conversation at that.

The duo exited the warm home to enter the frigid outdoors to collect the men. Masika was softer and more nurturing to her man, reining back the desire to fling her entire body on him in relief that he made it. Her heart and soul knew that he would make it when Gerard left to rescue him, but she needed that physical proof to sleep through the night.

Frank, on the other hand, was the opposite. He wasn’t as nurturing as Masika was with her precious fiance Michae,l and was more withdrawn as he awakened his husband. He made sure to stay out of Gerard’s long reach and his center focus so he wouldn’t entice too much of his attention that he no longer wanted. He just wanted to jerk his husband up and discard him somewhere out of sight and out of mind as soon as possible so he could take care of their kids like he was supposed to do.