I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 34: Goodbye For Now

Poison carried an unconscious Frank through the woods in silence with Sable following close behind. They hadn’t spoken since they had finished burying Frank’s decoy in the woods and quickly left the decaying scene, but after they had walked a few miles ahead, Sable felt the need to talk. She was worried about what was going on inside Poison’s mind, what with all they’ve done so far. He couldn’t be thinking about anything good, since he had pretty much decided to going against his Killjoy Family for a kid and risk his life in doing so. She knew, however, that even though he allowed her to assist in helping him carry out his plan, it didn’t mean he was going to open up to her and tell her why he was letting Frank go back home unharmed. Frank, one of the former prices of the Killjoys was going to be the first to EVER be released from captivity and live to tell the tale. He could pour out every detail of his experience of being kidnapped to as many people as he wanted to without consequences, and that included the local law enforcement. “So Poison, have you considered that maybe you’re risking the entire Killjoy family by letting Frank go back home to his family? I mean, he knows your name, has seen both you with your mask on, and some of the house even. He could identify that shit easy.” Sable pointed out to him.

Poison didn’t glance over his shoulder at her, nor did he slow his determined steps. “Yeah, I’ve kept that in mind.”

“And...?” Sable drifted off.

“And what?” Poison shrugged, his eyes on the path ahead of them.

“AND we could all get arrested or worse, they could shoot a shit ton of bullets through our house with their assault rifles.” Sable exclaimed, trying to paint a clearer picture for him of the possibility of what could happen to them if the cops came looking.

“Yeah yeah blah blah blah, I get it! Look Sable, I’ve dissected this in every way that I possibly could, and saw all the resulting outcomes. Whether the cops come looking for us or not, still doesn’t matter to me because I might already be dead by my own brother’s hand by the time those dumbasses decide to show up.” Poison reminded her.

Sable scoffed at the idea of her boyfriend murdering his brother. “You and I both know Kobra would never put a gun to your head. He loves you.”

Poison went silent on her all of a sudden, prompting her to drop the current subject and start on a new one. “So anyway, where is this place you plan on ditching Frank at?” Sable asked, looking through the trees.

“It’s one of those vacation lake house communities nearby. The houses are evenly spaced apart far enough for us to walk through undetected by anyone.” Poison informed her.

Sable nodded. “That’s good. Let’s just focus on getting in and out of there fast, just in case there’s trouble.”

Poison nodded as they emerged from the last few tree lines to see a line of log cabins sitting in front of the shore of a huge lake. There were kids splashing around in the waters as the adults huddled around the grill conversing with their neighbors while the hamburgers and hotdogs cooked. It was a picture perfect family scene, but Poison and Sable weren’t there to observe.

“Uh, which house is it, because these all look occupied to me.” Sable whispered to him.

“No not all of them, I’ve already checked. The one in the middle is empty until tomorrow morning. We’ll put him in that one and…I guess let fate take its course.” Poison said as he pointed to the unoccupied one in the middle of the line of cabins.

Sable nodded. “Alright, I’ll trust you on this one even though my stomach doesn’t completely agree with this shit Let’s get going before the others Killjoys start wondering where we’ve gone to.”

Luckily, the duo had come out of the woods from the back of the cabins, so all they had to do was scurry across the backyard unseen and to the backdoor that Sable quickly picklock. In seconds they were inside the empty cabin, undetected. She closed all the curtains on the first floor, while Poison gently placed the duffle bag with Frank inside on the couch. Crouching down, he unzipped the bag and pulled the sides open to reveal the limp boy. When he took the bag off Frank’s head, he noted with relief that he was still knocked out from he drug, his chest peacefully rising up and down to show that he was still alive. Poison hesitantly reach over to gently brush Frank’s hair off his face and stared down longingly at him for what would possibly be the last time.

“Poison, what are-“

Poison raised a hand to silence her. “Don’t Sable, just don’t. I know we have to go now but…just let me have this, okay? Let me have this and…stay out of it.”

Sable nodded obediently before taking a seat on the coffee table, watching the two of them with pity in her eyes. She could see that Poison didn’t want to leave Frank here yet, but he would eventually have to. ‘Poison couldn’t keep Frank’, Kobra told her countless times in such a stern way it had her believing that he was really trying to justify why he had allowed her, a former prize herself, to be one of the Killjoys and not Frank. They both knew Frank wasn’t about this kind of life. He was an innocent average teenager that unfortunately was taken from his former life to face the evil of the real world. He didn’t come from a terrible upbringing like Sable did, which made this whole transition to becoming a Killjoy pretty easy for her. Frank could never be a Killjoy, even if Poison had already given him a Killjoy name. He would have to be put to the test to truly become one of them, and they weren’t the fun kind of tests. They would have to destroy Frank the same way Poison refused to do when he was trying to make him more obedient. Kobra hated recruiting weak people like Frank, he preferred damaged goods because they were already broken which made the whole transition less strenuous and time-consuming on everybody’s part.

“I don’t like this feeling, Sable, I don’t like feeling this way. It’s not something one should experience when you’re supposed to be a cold heartless killer.” Poison whispered to himself, but loud enough so that Sable could also hear him.

Sable raised an eyebrow at him. “What feeling would that be, Poison?”

Poison sighed wearily as he continued to take Frank’s beauty in for the last time, his fingertips dancing over the young boy’s features to permanently imprint his face behind his own eyelids so that he could still see him when he closed his eyes. “I don’t know. I don’t know how to explain it. I don’t want anything bad to happen to him. I want him to go home and be safe with his family, despite how much of a risk it is for me to do. I just don’t care about anything else at the moment, but him.”

Sable was shocked at seeing Poison in such a vulnerable state. “I see.”

“At the same time, I don’t want to give him back. I want him by my side for a little while longer, until I get bored of him. Then I can just kill him and be done with it.” Poison shrugged, his eyes still on Frank.

“I’m sorry, Poison, but you know what the boss said.” Sable reminded him.

Poison rolled his eyes. “Yeah, I know. He can such a hypocrite sometimes.”

Sable giggled. “Oh yeah, he can be. Poison…time is running out. Kiss him goodbye and let’s go.”

Poison smirked down at Frank’s lips. “No, I’m not going to kiss him.”

Sable frowned. “Why not? He’s passed out, so he won’t be able to bite you or anything.”

Poison shook his head and looked at her. “No, that’s not what I’m worried about. I got this weird feeling like…a part of me thinks this isn’t going to be goodbye because I’ll…see him again someday.”

“Do you really think you will?” Sable asked, finding his confession very romantic.

Poison shrugged. “Maybe. Wherever this feeling came from, it’s telling me that I should save our first kiss for the next time we meet. I need to put my trust in fate bringing him back to me, which sounds completely retard if you think about it.”

“Aww no it doesn’t!” Sable cooed, hugging herself with a huge goofy grin on her face. “I just wanna cry, Poison that‘s so romantic of you!”

Poison ignored her sappiness and leaned forward to press a kiss to Frank’s forehead and whisper to him. “Goodbye for now, Black Opal. When you’re ready, come back to me. Until then, I’ll be waiting for you.”

He lowered his mouth this time to touch the duct tape that separated both his and Frank’s lips from physically touching. Even though he technically wasn’t kissing him, his heart still leapt in his chest and began to race like a galloping horse. His own lips tingled when he pulled away, and starting worked on handcuffing Frank’s wrists to the wooden frame above the couch. If Frank was to wake up out of his drug induced state before tomorrow morning, he wouldn’t be able to escape the cabin and get himself lost in the woods. Sable and Poison disappeared from the cabin, and locked the door behind them.

Poison’s lips continued to tingle even after he and Sable scrambled back into the woods, and his heart continued to race with hope that they would meet again one day, as the two made their way back to the Killjoy’s house.