I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 89: People!?

Gerard was done with everyone in Frank’s family playing games with him by feeding him lies. All he wanted to know was what was going on with his boyfriend, that’s it! But all they would tell him was that Frank was sick, or he had a relapsed or something and needed some time to work through it alone. “Fucking Bullshit.” Gerard mumbled to himself as he stepped back onto the Iero’s front lawn in the middle of the night sometime after he had paid a visit to Peter and Edith. He paused to look up at Frank’s window just in time to see a light go off. This time Frank would let him inside instead of ignoring him. This time he’d unlock his damn window and let him into his bedroom. Glaring at the glass for a minute, Gerard unclenched his tight fists and began striding determinately towards the drain pipe he’s climbed dozens of times before. To prove that, he expertly ascended it as quietly as a cat until he reached the tree outside Frank’s window. Determined not to turn back and leave, Gerard knocked on the glass with a volume that was too high and too risky to take. Stupidly, he was too pissed to give a damn. “Frank!”

Lurching up from his bed where he had been gently drifting to sleep, Frank shot back up with wide hazel eyes filled with panic and began to search around his room. “Wh-”

“Frankie, get your ass over here right now and unlock this goddamn window!” Gerard’s voice growled passed the glass and parted curtains.

Scrambling himself back up until his back met his headboard, Frank wrapped his arms around his pregnant belly as he stared out at the shadow of his boyfriend through the darkness. He hoped he couldn’t be seen ignoring him, because that tone in Gerard’s voice sent a deadly chill down his spine. Tears filled his eyes and blurred his vision as he fought to keep his breathing even as he prayed to anyone floating up in the sky to make Gerard go away. He couldn’t let him in himself and tell him what he had to tell him, he hadn’t had the guts to do it. Hell, he couldn’t bring himself to even sit in the kitchen and listen to his parents tell Gerard themselves that he wasn’t allowed to see him anymore. And if that wasn’t sad enough, Frank couldn’t even bring himself to even mentally type up a break up speech to deliver to Gerard when the time finally came and they saw each other again in the future! Frank flinched when he heard the pounding on window again and a voice spat out from the otherside. “Frankie, I swear to god if I have to break this fucking window to get to you, I fucking will! Don’t make me!”

Frank’s eyes enlarged even further as all the blood drained from his face. Gerard couldn’t…he wouldn’t, he cried in his mind before recalling the lethal dark tone in his voice. Upon realizing he might just to do it and in doing so not only attract his parents but the police again, Frank shot off his bed and blindly searched for his hoodie or something that would help hide his protruding belly where deep inside his third child was growing. When he found not one, but two, he shoved them both on him to try and shield the change in his body before tentatively hurrying to the window and unlocking the latch. He jumped back when Gerard launched the window open and began to crawl into his bedroom. His whole aura was black and red with rage that Frank could practically taste it, and yet that oddly enough didn’t stop him from stepping forward to grab ahold of Gerard’s arm to help him into his room without falling over. His two oversized hoodies wouldn’t protect his belly from being seen despite the fact he was wearing the darkest one on top. No, the street light was illuminating him right now, and if Gerard had cared to push his hair back he’d see for himself that something was growing within Frank. Before he could straighten up, Frank would have to jump back into the shadows like Batman in order to protect himself. “W-What are you doing here, Gerard? You know yo-you can’t come around here anymore!”

Gerard straightened himself and turned his head to magically find Frank across the room from him, deep within the shadows. His outline could be seen but nothing in any other helpful details that could tell him that his boyfriend had smallpox or something that serious to be locked up so strictly by his parents. Still, Gerard could feel the fire of anger burning within himself, and he planned on acting on it by first keeping his voice low before building to a crescendo. “I don’t give a shit! I came here to find out for myself what the hell has been going on with you.” He turned to face him and slowly began to walk toward him in a menacing manner, his voice rising to a level it really shouldn’t be considering the fact he wasn’t supposed to even be there and was technically trespassing. “Why the hell don’t you want to be around me anymore, Frankie? What did I do to cause you to not want to see me, huh? I know the bullshit your family has been telling me is a lie already so don’t try to feed me anymore of that crap because I sure as fuck won’t believe it even if it came out of your pretty little mouth.”

Frank could tell that Gerard was upset…no, not upset, he was beyond livid! It was an emotion he had never seen from him before and was honestly trembling in fear from it as he pressed his back against the wall behind him. His hands came up between them unknowingly to show Gerard he had meant no harm in what he had done to him. “G-Gerard, please…y-you have to lower your voice o-or else my daddy will hear you!”

“I don’t give a shit, Frankie!” Gerard yelled out loud, the Killjoy in him shaking his head in dismay because he was letting his emotions get the best of him. “Now, tell me why the fuck you’re trying to throw me out of your life like a piece of fucking trash!”

“I-I’ve been having…issues.” Frank stuttered out in such a tiny timid voice, tears falling down his cheek. He wanted to give up on this whole reunion to just crumple to the floor and cry like a baby, but something in him wouldn’t allow him to. He had to do this for the sake of his unborn child. He had to send Gerard away once and for all and in the meantime break his own heart. “A-And I can’t…b-be around p-people right now.”

“People!?” Gerard spat like he was offended by the word, like it disgusted him. He pointed a finger at his chest and said in a feral growl. “I…am NOT fucking people to you, Frankie. In fact, I’m more than just ‘people’ to you…and we both know that.”

Frank’s cheeks burn a bright pink at the reminder of all the intimate moments they shared together in the short time they’ve been together. To be honest, it felt like it had been a lifetime between them. Still, his own emotions were becoming too intense to rein back any longer. Covering his hands with his face, Frank let out a sob as he tried to fight off allowing anymore tears to be shed. “I-I’m so sorry, G-Gerard! Really…I am.” His voice sounded muffled behind his hands, and so he pulled them away to speak more clearly, his hazel eyes on Gerard’s dark towering form. “I-I apologize so sincerely i-if your feelings were hurt b-by this but I…I can’t see you anymore u-until I get better again. I’m so sorry!”

By this time, Gerard was panting with frustration and his hands were once again clenched at his side. He allowed Frank’s words to sink into his mind as well as the sounds of his tears. More than anything, he wanted to believe his precious Black Opal who was beginning to mean more to him than he should have. “How long?”

“How l-long what?” Frank asked him timidly.

“How long do we have to stay apart? How long are we talking, a week?” Gerard impatiently demanded to know while trying to rein in his anger.

Frank mentally tried to do the math in his head, but it was proving difficult what with all the emotions racking through his system right now. He was just starting his second trimester which was when he’d start to dramatically show. Each trimester was three months… “U-Um…f-five or six months…?”

“BULLSHIT!” Gerard roared, and like a pin being pulled from a grenade, he exploded. “THAT’S FUCKING BULLSHIT, FRANK! TELL ME THE FUCKING TRUTH, NOW AND STOP FUCKING AROUND WITH ME!”

Jumping back in fright, Frank shielded his face with a small scream as he began to cry. He had managed to hold his emotions back until Gerard started yelling at him, demanding the truth. If only Frank could do that. With a shake of his head, Frank cried out. “IT IS THE TRUTH!”

All of a sudden, Gerard wasn’t there anymore. Now, the man before Frank, who was completely unaware, was Poison, and unlike Gerard, Poison was much more dangerous. With a roar of anger, Poison attacked the closest thing to him which was Frank’s dresser. With a sweep of his arms, he sent everything sitting on it hurtling into the air to land somewhere else in the room. Ignoring the cry from Frank, Poison strode over to him so dangerously sinisterly he had Frank curling against the wall on his side to hide from him. Poison didn’t care that he was scaring him, and after slapping his palm against the wall beside Frank’s face, he leaned over to whisper angrily in his ear, his every word dripping venom and murderous rage. “FINE! If you want me out of your life so goddamn fucking bad I’ll just go back to fucking that other bitch and stop waiting around for you to give the tiniest amount of fucks for me that I fucking gave for you!”

Frank’s heart had no business at this point to swell at Gerard’s brutal, angry but romantic confession at a terrifying time like this, but it did. He cares about me, Frank wondered to himself as he turned his head to look at him through his brown hair. Their faces were close. “G-Gerard…” Reaching out, Frank stupidly forgot about the way the man had horrified the daylights out of him not two seconds ago and unsteadily attempted to touch his pale cheek, but it was too late. In the blink of an eye, Gerard had already turned around and was climbing out his bedroom window and into the night like Batman. No longer needing to keep himself up anymore, Frank slid down the wall and onto the floor. He collapsed into a fit of tears, and howled in agony over his loss of Gerard, not caring who else in the world heard.

And who heard was his parents, who came bursting through the door in their bathrobes. They had gone to a party earlier and had Peter and Edith over to look out for Frank. They hadn’t intended to come home drunk, but they were and had slept soundly through the argument between Gerard and Frank…except for when they heard their son wailing throughout the night. Now, the two stumbled into his room, Margo running to her son’s side and Frank Sr. checking the room with his loaded shotgun. Margo pulled her son straight into her arms and rocked him like a baby. “Oh, pumpkin, what is it, my love? Did you have a nightmare? Is it the baby?”

“What is it, son!? Did you see someone!? Was someone in your room!?” Frank Sr. demanded from his son from where he stood with his back to the open window.

Frank shook his head and was unable to speak through his sobs. All he could was grip onto his mom as if it would be the very last time. Margo didn’t mind and continued to comfort him as she spoke over her shoulder to her husband. “I—I don’t know what’s wrong with him! I think he’s having some kind of nervous breakdown or something.”

“Yeah and knocked all his knick knacks off of his dresser...” Frank Sr. agreed as observed the few items knocked onto their sides and the rest scattered all over the bedroom. His attention turned to his wife. “Let’s get him back to bed and help calm him down so he can sleep.” His wife agreed, and so together they helped Frank into his bed and stayed with him until he was calm. Frank didn’t think he’d ever fall asleep again after losing Gerard, but surprisingly he did.