I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 99: Took Off

Two weeks later, Poison was in Washington State hunting down the very man that was his and only his.

As it always seemed to be with him these days, Poison wasn’t exactly supposed to be there, in fact, he was in the middle of capturing a prey for the Killjoy auction with the members of his family when he stopped in mid-run through a long alleyway. Some of his Killjoy members had stopped in concern to see why he wasn’t chasing their target with the rest of them and were only left in complete shock when Poison strode through the nearest exit to the dark alleyway, hot-wired the closest parked car, and took off without a word. He himself had no idea what he was doing at first, but when he had turned his head and saw that particularly parked car just sitting at the end of the alleyway, he saw that vehicle as his way out…and he took it. He may not know where he was going at the time, but he continued to drive until he exited the state of New Jersey and bought a few nights in a cheap shady motel.

By the time he had settled into his room and locked himself in, his phone was filled with threatening calls and murderous messages from his Killjoy family demanding answers. Poison chose to ignore them all, even the ones from his kid brother. Kobra would be livid at him right now…but then again all Poison’s been doing these was unintentionally pissing him off.

No, there was only one person in that murderous blood hungry family he’d ever talk to about his sudden departure and it was the hopeless romantic Sable. She was one of the sanest and because she was deeply in love with his kid brother, Kobra, and all up in her feelings about him she’d be able to understand his reasons completely, unlike the others.

Poison picked up a cheap phone he’d recently purchased. He punched in Sable’s Killjoy number and held the phone up to his ear. After two rings, she picked up, but he cut her off before she could get a word of greeting out or anything. “Don’t talk, just listen.” He demanded harshly, waiting for a rebuttal. When he heard none, he knew she was following his order.

With a sigh, Poison leaned back against the headboard of his motel bed and ran a hand through his vibrant cherry red hair. “I had to go away. I couldn’t tell anyone of you why because this…this wasn’t planned at all. It was a spontaneous decision that I stand by 100%. My Black Opal is out there, Sable, and I intend to find him even if that means I have slice every one of your throats to get there.”

There was faint shuffling sound heard from Sable’s end of the phone before she spoke in a low whisper. “Poison, he’s just a prize! You have to let him go. You’re a Killjoy, and a murderer! You can’t go knocking on all the doors in New Jersey just to find him and not expect to attract unwanted attentions. Your little exploration could potentially lead back to us if you do, you know this! Your brother is currently losing his mind right now as we speak over this bullshit you’ve just started yet again.”

“Of course, he is.” Poison chuckled at the imagined of his red-faced brother pacing all over the house and shouting orders about like a madman. “But I can’t let this go, Sable, trust me, I’ve already tried. I can’t get him out of my head! I mean…I’ve only recently came to terms with the fact that I’ve fallen in love with the kid s-”

‘Wait! You’re in love with your prize!?” Sable interjected in wonder.

“Yes, I am.” Poison admitted truthfully in a grumble, staring across the room at the small old TV sitting on a dresser.

“Like, in LOVE in love in love?” Sable questioned further, needing to get the information out for her own nosy reasons. “Or like in LOVE in love?”

Poison frowned at her two choices in confusion. He wasn’t sure how they differentiated from each other and so he threw out his own example so they’d be on the same page sooner rather than later. “Masika, I’m in love with Frank just as badly, just as deeply, and just as all-consuming as you are with Michael. He’s my reason now for living. He’s my purpose! Spending the rest of my life with him wearing my last name is all that I care about anymore…nothing else matters.”

Sable paused for a long time in reticence before she squealed with excitement. “Aww, Poison, that’s so romantic! Look at you, falling in love and shit while the rest of us be murdering and torturing people in the mean time! Who would have guessed, right?”

Rolling his eyes at Sable’s rave over him finding love for the first time in his life, Poison got to back to his previous subject. “Yeah yeah yeah, that’s all great and everything, but I need help. I have to find him, Sable, but I need all the usual essentials to blend in with society while I do.”

“As in you need MY help?” Sable whispered in question.

“No shit, Sherlock! Yes! I’m gonna need your help, at least to make my life with him easier than if I were to just start from the bottom by getting a job on my own.” Poison clarified impatiently. “I only know he’s in Redmond, Washington, so I got the location covered on my own. I just need new ID, Passport if need be, phone with a new number, temporary apartment, car, and some extra cash.”

“And how do you expect me to do all that!?” Sable asked him. “Wave my motherfucking magic wand that I keep shoved up my ass for when I’m in a pickle?”

Poison sighed. “Look, before our grandmother Elena died, she gave left me and Mikey loads of money in an account for us to live off of. There’s enough to support ourselves and 10 generations of Ways after us if need be.”

“…well, damn…” Sable muttered to herself in shock, not having known that their late wealthy grandmother had left them money after her death. Then again, the money was never really discussed between her and the two Way brothers nor had it ever been seen. Collectively everyone just forgot about it in the end.

“I never felt it was necessary to access the account because at the time murdering people was all I had a care for back in those days, but now…now I have a new purpose, and it’s to live out the rest of my life with Frank as my husband.” Poison rolled his eyes again when he heard Sable let out a sharp squeal from his second declaration of love. “I need you get me the information to access it now.”

“From where though?” Sable asked him. “From a bank or what?”

“No…from my brother.” Poison corrected her.

“…and what makes you think Michael is gonna tell me anything?! You know how secretive he is with everyone in this damn house, he won’t tell anyone a thing! He treats me no different from all of you, the only difference is he just fucks me.” Sable ranted with a hidden sadness in her voice.

“That’s not true, Sable. He cares about you above all of us.” Poison revealed. “Trust me, I know.”

“And how do you know?” Sable questioned, becoming irritated that Poison was using lies to get her to do his bidding. He was getting her hopes up over nothing. Her relationship with Kobra had always been a strange one. He’s always treated her like every other member of the Killjoy family, no special treatments. The only thing that separated her from the others was the fact that he slept with her…quite often in fact. It was crazy. The first time they had slept together, Sable had already been obsessed with the man, and then there he was, entering her bedroom in the middle of the night and taking her like he had every right to. She was a willing participant and cherished every moment of it with him but still it hurt to feel for someone and have you mean nothing to them. “For as long as we’ve been fucking around it’s only been me that gives, and never receive anything back. He’s like a brick wall, and I just keep bouncing balls of love and affection at him only to have them to bounce back at me.”

“Masika, Michael does love you. I can tell by the short glances he passes your way, the slight softness of his tone when he talks to you that no one ever notices, and…” Poison cringed at having to bring the next fact up. “And how often he’s fucking your brains out.”

“How is him fucking my brains out a sign that he loves me?” Sable asked, not seeing how sex fit into all of this.

“Because of how often he does it. It’s almost like the man can’t help himself when it comes to you.” Poison quickly answered, not wanting to think of his brother having sex. “I…I behave the same way with Frank, and I’m in love with him so…”

“So just because you’re constantly repainting Frank’s ‘interior’ with your 'special paint' that must mean your brother is in love with me too because he does the same with me?” Sable snorted before erupting into giggles. “Shut your ass up, Poison! I’ll help you, just so long as you keep your romantic logic bullshit to your damn self.”

Poison growled at the sound of her laughing at him for trying to help her. “Shut up, Sable, and get me access to that account, you hear me? You have a few days before I move on.”

“I hear you.” Sable agreed once she calmed down. “I’ll get the information to you as soon as I can, and Gerard…when you do get your man back, I just want to wish you good luck on your new life together. It’s nice to see you happy for a change.”

“Good luck to you too, Sable, and take care of my brother for me.” Poison softly replied.

Sable said with one last giggle. “Don’t I always?”