Bounce Back

two

“How many people have you ever killed?

“Um…none.”

“You had to think about it.”

“No I didn’t. It’s a weird question, it through me off.”

“So how many people have you come close to killing?”

“None...I’m not a very violent person.”

David and Gus walked side by side down the fairly empty sidewalk, back to Gus’s apartment. David would’ve invited him to his since it was closer, but he hadn’t cleaned in quite a while. With every step closer, David felt his insides turn. He was really doing this.

“Okay…good. You aren’t going to like…murder me are you? Because if you are, I’d rather you just do it now and not while we’re having sex. That’s embarrassing enough.”

“David, if you thought there was a chance of me murdering you, why’d you leave with me?”

“I don’t know…maybe I’m just a little suicidal.” David didn’t meant to come off as dark as he did. He usually didn’t reveal that he was 15% pure emo until the third date. He’d even had a scene phase in high school.

Gus didn’t respond, but instead grabbed his hand.

“I promise…I’m not going to kill you. You know, I don’t even do this type of thing very much.”

“So why did you?”

“Why did you?”

“My boyfriend dumped me…so…this is me moving on I guess.” David forced himself to smile. “Your turn.”

“I don’t know…I guess…there was just something about you.”

When they finally arrived to Gus’s loft, David couldn’t keep his jaw up.

“This place is huge…how do you even afford something like this in New York? God, what are you a drug dealer?”

“No, I teach.” Gus said pouring David another shot in his huge kitchen.

“Teach what?”

“Nothing interesting.” Gus said handing him the small glass and toasting before downing it.

“Arggh gross!” David shook off the burn of the vodka.

“What about you…still in school?”

“How’d you know?”

“You’re still getting use to the taste of vodka…and you look young. How old are you anyway?”

“22. I’ll be 23 in a few months. You?”

“26.”

“Okay….so what about STD’s” David quickly changed the subject, trying not to let his anxiety get the best of him. “Have you ever tested positive for HIV?”

“Nope.”

“What about herpes, or the clap, or…”

“Never had anything…I told you I don’t do this very often.”

‘Just making sure. You do have condoms right?”

“A box full.”

David inside were now on fire. But that could also have just been the shot he’d just downed. This was actually happening. Within the next 30 he was going to be having sex with this handsome man, that wasn’t his ex. He kind of wished he’d manscaped a bit.

“Okay so…I’m not really sure how these things are supposed to work. I’m sure I’ll make it extremely awkward so I apologize in advance for anything embarrassing I do. Do we like make out first or jump right into? Should we play music or is that too cheesy? Are we going to do it on the couch or the bed?”

“Whoa…calm down…you’re freaking out. Let’s just take it slow alright?” Gus leaned into kiss him and he didn’t flinch at all. He just let himself be led, and before he knew it he was on his back, with his arms wrapped around Gus’s neck, pulling him down closer.

His shoes were the first to go, then shirt, and pants. He wasn’t sure if he should take his socks off or not because his feet usually got cold during sex, especially if they were going to do it out here on the couch.

David could feel his whole body heating up, just from Gus’s touch and just when he was starting to really get into it, Gus stopped.

“I’ll be right back.” He said standing and walking off toward the restroom and leaving David with his thoughts. He fixed his hair, wiped excess spit off his mouth, took his socks off, put his sock back on, and even tried to make himself a little harder. What? He was a grower.

All of a sudden a really slow jam that David remember from childhood started to play and out walk the tall dark, glass of milk himself, fully in the nude, and giving David the eyes. You know what eyes I’m talking about. He had a condom in one hand and a bottle of lube in the other. Shit was about to get real.

“Holy shit.” David said almost in disbelief. He was definitely not a grower.