Good Girls Don't Make Deals With Demons

Chapter 21: Finding a loophole

Adam was pacing back and forth in the kitchen while I was sweeping up the wood chips that covered the tiles on the floor. There was a brief moment of silence between us. Both of us didn’t know what to say to each other. I was stuck between blaming Adam and apologizing for Damon’s behavior. While putting the blame on someone else sounded so easy, I knew deep down this was all my fault. Damon wouldn’t have such a hold on me if I turned his deal down.

“Why did you do it Eliza?” Adam was the first to speak.

“I didn’t want you to be stuck in a coma any longer.” I looked up at him, tears swelling up in my eyes. “He promised me a deal that I would not regret. He tricked me!”

“Why would you be so stupid as to make a deal with a fucking demon?” Adam chastised as he held the dust pan for me.

“I couldn’t stand being alone anymore. I just wanted you to wake up.” My vision was starting to get blurry as I swept the wood chips in the dust pan.

“You shouldn’t have done it.” Adam snapped.

“Well the good thing is that I get to keep my soul.” I tried keeping things a little positive but all Adam did was glare at me. “I’m so sorry Adam, I just wanted what little family I had back.”

I sobbed as tears began to stream out of my eyes. Adam scooped me up and held me in a tight embrace. Everything that I held in for so long finally came pouring out. He kept a tight grip around me and allowed me to cry for as long as I needed. Then, the doorbell started to ring. I pulled away from Adam and looked at him with watery eyes. He placed his pointer finger over his lips and headed to the door silently. If only he had a bat or something to take with him, just in case.

“Sarah, now’s really not a good time-“ I heard Adam’s voice and immediately jumped.

“Please understand, I’m trying to help!” Sarah’s voice got louder as she entered the kitchen.

It shocked me to see Sarah wearing only a white nightgown that had dirt stains all over it. There were even dirt stains on her bare knees. Her beautiful red hair had become a mess and had twigs in it. I raised an eyebrow and scanned my friend over to make sure I wasn’t imagining things.

“What happened to you?” I asked as I wrapped my arms around her. She was ice cold and she smelt like a wet forest.

“I did something horrible tonight, Eliza.” She whispered as she wrapped her cold arms around me.

“Sarah what did you do?” Adam asked as he wrapped a green thin fleece blanket around her.

He pulled out a wooden chair for her to sit in. She plopped herself down on the chair and looked up at me with water in her eyes. Adam and I shared a look of concern before turning back to her. She was unusually pale and to be honest she looked exhausted.

“Eliza, I am so sorry.” She cried.

“Why are you sorry?” I asked, confused.

Adam began reaching up in the cabinets gathering a few things to make Sarah a cup of hot coffee.

“Everything is my fault. Your problems are all cause of me.” She wiped her tears away with the heel of her palms.

The moment she said that, my heart dropped down into my stomach. She couldn’t be talking about Damon. I never even said a word to her about my “problem” so I was confused as to what she meant. Damon was the only problem I had and he was one big fucking problem.
Adam placed a white coffee mug in front of Sarah and seated himself beside her. I seated myself across the table and kept my eyes on Sarah. Nothing she was saying was making any sense. So let’s say she was talking about Damon. That would have made it my fault. I was the one who that made the deal with the demonic Prince, not Sarah. I was the one that sold myself to him and it was my decision, not hers.

“Sarah just calm down and start from the beginning.” Adam reached down and held her hand for comfort.

“10 years ago I made a deal with this girl, her name was Lupy.”

A sudden wave of nausea hit me. Did she mean the same Lupy I almost made a deal with? Not like that was a common name.

“She promised to make me strong and powerful but I had to give her something in return. My soul 10 years down the line.”

Adam’s dark brown eyes flickered to me before going right back to Sarah.

“A couple of months ago she came to collect my soul but I didn’t want to give it up, I didn’t want to die so I got on my knees and begged for mercy.” She began to weep. “All I wanted was just a little more time so I told her I would do anything.”

Something bubbled in my stomach and for some reason I had a feeling that this was somehow connected to Damon. My eyes were starting to get watery again. Sarah wouldn’t sell me out to save herself. No, she wouldn’t, that would have been diabolical!

“What did you do?” I asked through clenched teeth.

My anger was suddenly rising and all I could think was, please let it be that she sacrificed some stray animal or something. Anything but handing me over to Damon would have been perfect.

“She said I had to put the idea in your head so you would make a deal with Damon. I didn’t know he would make you sell yourself to him.”
Her words were only making my blood boil.

“Sarah, how could you?” I growled.

“I’m so sorry Eliza, please let me help make it better.” She was crying with sloppy tears falling down her cheeks.

Even though my best friend was falling apart before my very own eyes all I could imagine was beating her face into the table. She was my friend. How could she just hand me over on a silver platter to that monster?

“I think it’s time for you to leave.” Adam spoke up as he released her hand and stood up.

She didn’t move she just kept her hand down in shame. Personally, I felt that she deserved a much more harsh punishment then shame. I was seething with anger so much that I began to shake. How dare she make me pay for her mistake?

“Please, let me help.” She begged.

“Help me?” I let out a laugh. “I sold myself to the Prince of Hell! There isn’t anybody who could help me! Especially, because he will soon become the King of Hell or the next Lucifer, or whatever you call it!” I snapped.

“I know but-”

“Oh, so you knew?” Adam asked.

“Yes, I know because I helped him take down Lucifer.”

“Well that’s just great.” I spat out sarcastically.

“Lupy and Damon forced me to do it, Eliza.” Sarah wiped her away again.

I folded my arms over my chest. As much as I wanted to beat her face in, I needed help. My wedding was coming soon and after that I would be trapped in the King’s lair, forced into submission. Forced to do whatever the King wanted me to do. I was going to be separated from Adam again, so what else was I supposed to do?

“How exactly do you plan on helping me?” I asked, narrowing my eyes on Sarah.

“You go over your contract with him, jot down the main points, and find yourself a loophole. Sarah suggested.

“What do you mean?” Adam asked, sitting back down in the wooden chair.

Sarah took a deep breath, stabilizing her air intake. “Say Eliza’s contract states that she cannot contact any of her family. She could not call or write them. However she could contact me and use me to communicate between you guys. Viola, loophole.”

“You will be helping me, how?” I asked.

“Once you find your loophole let me know, I’ll see if there is some spell I can whip up or something to give you the upper hand.” She offered.

I raised an eyebrow at her. “So what are you, some kind of witch?”

“That is what I sold my soul for. Anyways I am going home for a much-needed shower. Again Eliza I am so sorry this happened to you. You’re a good person, you deserve a better future.”

“She would have a better future if you didn’t hand her over to Damon.” Adam snapped.

Sarah stood up and turned to leave but stopped in her tracks. When she turned back to Adam she kept a stern face, trying to look like she wasn’t crying 5 minutes ago.

“You can only imagine the guilt I am feeling right now. I only pray that one day you both forgive me. Especially you, Adam. I always had a thing for you.”

The witch spoke bravely before turning and walking away.
So began the search for my loophole.
♠ ♠ ♠
To everyone who has read and subscribed or commented Thank you so much it means a lot to me it truly does