Status: Updating sporadically

Despair and Hope

Atomic Love

Friday was the time to go out. His mind needed the release of alcohol. He craved the sticky floors, the sweet, overwhelming perfume and the excitement of the night. With a few beers and half a pizza inside him and a crumpled shirt with black jeans he was ready.
The line was short. He paid his cover to a girl at the desk. She stamped his hand and he felt the bass hit him in the chest as he began to climb the stairs. Inside, the lights flashed and beautiful people danced. The watchers sipped their drinks as they perched unsteadily on their stools.
He found a space at the bar and ordered his drink from an attentively indifferent bartender. Perching himself, he gazed around at the crowd; his companions for the night. Before he could decide to go and dance, a friend saw him and sat down to chat.
He sat passively at the bar while his friend talked about work, family and the people out on the floor. He could hear only part of the conversation over the beat of the music. He nodded and agreed and waited for something to happen. Later, after enough beers to make him unsteady on his feet but not so many that he couldn't see straight, he went out to dance.
Moving his feet he hoped he looked cooler than he felt. He saw her then. One of the dancers. She was beautiful. When she moved she made him feel light headed. Perhaps that was the alcohol though. He was in love. But then, he could say that about half the women in the club. And taking into account the alcohol in his body, he decided that he loved the other half as well. At least until he orgasmed. But then the sexual release was worth the shame, at least that's what he told himself.
By the time he sat back down at the bar, beside his friend, sweaty and unfulfilled, he had forgotten about his love out on the floor. She was barely a memory. Another forgotten future. Until his friend waved her over.
Apparently the two of them went way back. School or something. He couldn't really hear them over the music and trying to listen in without craning his neck didn't work. After a minute his friend remembered him and introduced him into the conversation. He made some clever remarks and then realised that he couldn't hear what they were saying so excused himself to visit the toilet. When he got back she was out on the floor and he spent the rest of night on his stool trying to find his courage with drink after drink.
The lights were coming up and they were playing the Grease mega-mix for the second time. His friend was planning their next reunion and the alcohol was making him genuinely enthusiastic about it. As his friend waited for a taxi and he waited to walk home alone, she came through the door.
Eventually his friend left in a taxi and her friend chatted to a guy outside the 7-11 down the road and the two of them were alone on the street.
She invited him to MacDonald's where her friend and the guy made eyes at each other, and then as he wondered if he could keep up with the conversation any more or if he really did need to sleep, she invited him back to the hotel she was staying at.
They kissed and he took off her bra. Her breasts were amazingly soft and perfect in his hands. Her nipples were firm under his tongue. She smelled so good. He wanted to do more and she didn't. Her friend made passionate, muted love in the next bed over. He fell asleep before they finished. She slept snuggled against his chest until his bladder woke him at dawn. They farewelled in a half drunk, half hungover way that would have been awkward if they were sober, and he walked home as the day started around him.